Corrie and Cheesecake....

A

Anonymous

No one is 'ganging up' on any member. If this happens then action is taken by Monitors or Moderators.

This forum is for ALL diabetics,and supports all no matter what diet, medication or lifestyle they adopt.

Therefore, on this forum you will always get many differing opinions. Providing they are not personal attacks then they are tolerated here. This is NOT a 'one way' forum.

The members of this forum are very positive and supportive of other members in the main but there will always be differences of opinion as we are a diverse forum.

Moderator 2

ally5555

Interesting posts!

You may know I am a dietitian and tbh 35 years ago control was very tight - I think they were using CHO exchanges . But the problem then was that knowing what a BS was, was impossible - we have really only seen BS monitoring for the past 10 years or so .

I don't think anyone is ganging up on hana. hana just loves low carbs and who knows 5-6 portions a day could mean 60g!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
noblehead said:
hanadr said:
I'm all in favour of fictional diabetics showing restraint on the sugary stuff. There's entirely too much of the "eat anything and take more medication" attitude in the real diabetic world
Hana

Who's attitude is this then Hana?

Nigel

thnk you're wasting your time Nigel! Some people like to stand back and 'watch' the fireworks after they've lit the fuse but they don't have the cahoona's to step up and offer an explanation, which is a real, real shame.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
can I just say , as the OP, I posted this as a light hearted comment about a soap opera (I watch them, can't get enough, bit like chocolate!) as diabetes doesn't get mentioned much on TV and I thought it was interesting. I am type 1 so all my comments are based on being type 1 as that is where my experience lays. I would never presume to know enough about type 2 to make any judgements about it. Saying you know as much about type 1 as you live with someone who has it is utterly ridiculous.

anyway, back to Corrie, lets keep a watch out for the Diabetic social worker, if nothing else it's helping to spread the word!! :lol: :p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Debloubed said:
can I just say , as the OP, I posted this as a light hearted comment about a soap opera (I watch them, can't get enough, bit like chocolate!) as diabetes doesn't get mentioned much on TV and I thought it was interesting. I am type 1 so all my comments are based on being type 1 as that is where my experience lays. I would never presume to know enough about type 2 to make any judgements about it. Saying you know as much about type 1 as you live with someone who has it is utterly ridiculous.

anyway, back to Corrie, lets keep a watch out for the Diabetic social worker, if nothing else it's helping to spread the word!! :lol: :p

My mother is like you Debloubed, watches every soap on the television, even the Aussie ones. My dad could never understand how she could keep up with all the story-lines, always had a joke with her about this. I don't watch them myself, but my wife watches Corrie, its the only one she likes, although she says it isn't as good as it use to be, too many silly plots I am told! :shock:

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Eastenders, Corrie and Emmerdale for me, I can't claim to be as die hard as your Mum, I don't watch the Aussie ones (anymore!!) :lol: :mrgreen: I've yet to see anyone whip out a BG meter in the Queen Vic or Rovers Return though, so perhaps we should start a campaign :wink:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well I hear good old Betty Turpin is leaving so that would probably toll the bell for the famous Rovers hotpot - maybe the "diabetic cheesecake" is in for a starring role - a new soap star in the making :lol: :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Debloubed said:
Eastenders, Corrie and Emmerdale for me, I can't claim to be as die hard as your Mum, I don't watch the Aussie ones (anymore!!) :lol: :mrgreen: I've yet to see anyone whip out a BG meter in the Queen Vic or Rovers Return though, so perhaps we should start a campaign :wink:

Even better still Debloubed, we could put your name forward for a part in Corrie, and you could order a gin and tonic and test your bg on the bar whilst waiting! :D

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Debloubed said:

Even better still Debloubed, we could put your name forward for a part in Corrie, and you could order a gin and tonic and test your bg on the bar whilst waiting! :D

Nigel

now THAT is a plan!! Would they have slimline tonic though?! oh the story lines we could come up with....... :lol: :wink:

amiee

I make a sort of sugarfree [to my mind] cheesecake,as I am new to all this and making things up as i go along - it does not put my sugars up.
Whisk together one carton elmlee 55% less fat cream with one tub half fat philly cheese rind and juice of one lemon and lime.
Two packets hartleys lemon and lime sugar free jelly dissolved in half pint water and allowed to cool but not set. Add to cream mixture and whisk leave in fridge for 20min.
Crush 10 digestive biscuits with tablespoon melted in micro olive spread and press into a greased tin,pour over cream /jelly mix and chill for one hour - can be done with other flavours of the jelly too.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Nigel
It's definitely the attitude of the medical establishment that diabetes is controlled by loads of medication or just possibly a high carb/low fat diet.[is cheesecake low fat? I have a low carb recipe for it]. Of coarse an extra dose of mediction is all it needs to be able to eat anything you like. I don't think it matters what type of diabetes you have.
Hana

theonlysbf

A holier than thou attitude is often prevalent with certain members of the forum "what I do is best " The trouble with Diabetes is this statement could not be further from the truth in fact its complete c**p. What my body tolerates others can not and visa versa.

I work with a lifetime T1 who drinks, eats everything, smokes and lives his life, he understands his condition far better than I ever can just by how he feels, he tells me he know what his body is doing. He knows when to inject when to eat, how much carbs he needs on board to do his very physical job. He rarely BS tests he does not need to. Sure his Management of his condition is not what you would expect, but he has dealt with this for 45 years his health is generally very good and has not deteriorated in 10 years. That is the reality of living with this horrid disease

To get to my point what is a soap opera? And what is Coronation Street?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
theonlysbf said:
To get to my point what is a soap opera? And what is Coronation Street?

Coronation Street IS a Soap Opera, one of the best in my opinion, mindless TV to enjoy whilst drinking a cuppa with your feet up :lol:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hanadr said:
Nigel.[is cheesecake low fat? I have a low carb recipe for it]. Of coarse an extra dose of mediction is all it needs to be able to eat anything you like. I don't think it matters what type of diabetes you have.
Hana

I think you can make a nice, lowER fat cheesecake if you use lower fat ingredients - I don't use cream or full fat cheese when I make mine but I've never attempted a low carb one before so watch this space!

As for it not mattering what type of Diabetes you have, perhaps not, but why shouldn't I eat anything I like, in moderation, and bolus accordingly? No one thought to ask me if that was my choice after all.......

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
My wife watches some of the soaps - I find them a good reason to go away & listen to the radio or CDs, play & sing, - or contribute to internet forums.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
IanD said:
My wife watches some of the soaps - I find them a good reason to go away & listen to the radio or CDs, play & sing, - or contribute to internet forums.

I also use this time to look for other things to do! :lol:

Nigel

descartesmum

Tonight starts a Jewish holiday where dairy is eaten so cheesecake will be on the menu. It's nice that Tesco has small single slices of it on sale.