Anonymous Question Could this sight problem be a result of diabetes?

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told 16 days ago that I have diabetes, my sugar levels were very high. I have been shortsighted for about 30 years but I have noticed in the last week or so that I am struggling to focus on reading, even with my glasses which should improve this. Also my distance glasses are suddenly useless, I can see distance better without my glasses now. Could this be a result of the diabetes?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes - before and soon after diagnosis vision can be blurry and you can find it harder to focus. This should settle gradually as your sugars are controlled.

Reactions: Prem51

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I had very blurry vision due to changed BP in the eye. That will completely correct itself within a week or so of blood sugar coming down into a sensible area.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too had very blurry eyes after DX and bs coming down. It does get better but I still get a tad blurry if it's fluctuating even staying in nondiabetic ranges.

As bs changes the blood vessels behind the eyes constrict and dialate and as a result so does your vision. This is why diabetics are prone to blindness and should have regular eye exams.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same but has more improved. Understanding is it's the sudden change when blood sugar is corrected that then takes time to adjust to. Hope things improve soon take care

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I often get blurry vision.
I used to get very scared until I realised it was diabetic related.
When I get blurry vision, I will test my blood to see if it is high or low but in saying that, when the blurring is bad, I can,t even see the monitor screen to read the number.