Council Accommodation

WAD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with T1, and the local council say that I'm not 'vulnerable', though, I'm currently, sleeping rough, and having to store NovoRapid, and Levemir flexpens.

I wanted to simply know if anyone in the UK, especially England, has ever been successful in getting housed by a local council. Simply based upon the use of these pens, and the need to store insulin in a refrigerator, as well as maintain a regular diet routine.

Cheers

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Just wanted to say good luck in getting housed You are vulnerable, ask your GP to write you a letter for housing.
You obviously need a fridge in the Summer for insulin. I'm so very sorry your in this situation.
Do keep us informed and don't lose hope.
Take care

WAD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Just wanted to say good luck in getting housed You are vulnerable, ask your GP to write you a letter for housing.
You obviously need a fridge in the Summer for insulin. I'm so very sorry your in this situation.
Do keep us informed and don't lose hope.
Take care

Hey Kittycat,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm going the the Citizens Advice, later this morning, as I've filled an appeal, requesting a review of the decision.

The GP letter is planned, however, I really want a case or precedent, for this, as the council are making a legal argument, quoting case law.

I have a positive view and attitude. However, one has to be realistic. If no council of local authority has never ever provided accommodation by accepting that a NovoRapid and Levemir flexpens user is in a vulnerable situation, as a rough-sleeper, then the chances of the council moving on the decision and changing their minds is very unlikely...

I will put a very good argument in appeal generally. But, to have an example of such a combined insulin user being offered temporary accommodation would be very useful.

Again, many thanks.

I shall indeed, keep you informed...

Cheers

Happy New Year!

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Kittycat,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm going the the Citizens Advice, later this morning, as I've filled an appeal, requesting a review of the decision.

The GP letter is planned, however, I really want a case or precedent, for this, as the council are making a legal argument, quoting case law.

I have a positive view and attitude. However, one has to be realistic. If no council of local authority has never ever provided accommodation by accepting that a NovoRapid and Levemir flexpens user is in a vulnerable situation, as a rough-sleeper, then the chances of the council moving on the decision and changing their minds is very unlikely...

I will put a very good argument in appeal generally. But, to have an example of such a combined insulin user being offered temporary accommodation would be very useful.

Again, many thanks.

I shall indeed, keep you informed...

Cheers

Happy New Year!
I cant believe you have to go through this,are you meant to manage this condition while sleeping rough? This government are disgusting.You are very vulnerable and this should have been a no brainer.
Wish i could help you in some way.Lots of luck to you xx

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am so sorry you are in this situation.
I am in a council bungalow and was on their list for 13 years before I got a place, even bidding on places.
It's so hard now a days to get a council place even if you are homeless and vulnerable.
I know in my area, getting a doctor's letter saying you are vulnerable doesn,t help you get a place any quicker.
I so hope you get housed very soon

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @WAD Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your situation, your council should be able to make allowances in your circumstances, type 1 Diabetes is classed as a disability under the Equality Act 2010 https://www.diabetes.org.uk

So I wish you well in getting this situation resolved. Please keep us posted ?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you friends with anyone who has a fridge, could you ask them to store your insulin pens there and just carry one of each around with you? Or maybe in the fridge at work if your boss will let you? Or perhaps just buy one vial/pen at a time from the pharmacy? Sorry I know it's not an ideal solution, just wanted to put some ideas out there since it looks like you won't be getting any council help for a while.

What is your current diet? I imagine it would be tough getting a good diet especially for a diabetic if you are out on the streets.

Good luck

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Clapton v DWP might be worth a look. It's on different issues but re benefits being stopped to a diabetic who had electricity cut off, couldn't store insulin in a fridge and then died of DKA. I'm not sure how far the sister of the deceased got with her intimated judicial review, but it looks like she was represented by Leigh Day. Might be worth contacting them to see if they'll take you on on a no win no fee basis.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...gill-thompson-as-she-pleads-for-a6911386.html

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a council tenant & have been since the late 80s and was able to 'jump the queue' for a flat on the grounds of my sugar, but that's back then, good luck with CAB.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know what case law they are quoting? Might be worth speaking to Shelter as well as Citizen's Advice

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with T1, and the local council say that I'm not 'vulnerable', though, I'm currently, sleeping rough, and having to store NovoRapid, and Levemir flexpens.

I wanted to simply know if anyone in the UK, especially England, has ever been successful in getting housed by a local council. Simply based upon the use of these pens, and the need to store insulin in a refrigerator, as well as maintain a regular diet routine.

Cheers

Hi there. I don't have any experience to offer you, but wish you well.

I seen @Juicyj has already posted a link to Diabetes UK. It could be worthwhile having a chat with their helpline. They may have some ideas. I doubt you have anything to lose by it.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/helpline

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I.m sorry to hear this and i know this wont help but i have worked in pharmacies that stored patients flexpens (rough sleepers and those who had a flat but no fridge) and gave them out one at a time. While you are getting yourself sorted (and if the weather ever warms up) it may be something to look into