1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Counselling and Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by Jess33marsh, May 22, 2014.

?

Should there be specific counselling offered to people living with diabetes?

1. yes

40 vote(s)
    95.2%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Fayefaye1429

Fayefaye1429 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jonny good luck I would like to say to start with. They can be very helpful. You might want to slightly tighten your questions. What I mean is maybe getting to know their pct limitations might be helpful on your quest

2. Jonnyjibbsuk

Jonnyjibbsuk · Guest

Oh I have been thinking the questions as much as poss all night
    Have it down and I think should be good
    Will let u know by 4pm today

3. Fayefaye1429

I do think they sound awesome Jonny honest. I believe they may refer a lot to their own pct is all

4. Fayefaye1429

Look forward to hearing how it goes.

5. Jonnyjibbsuk

Jonnyjibbsuk · Guest

But if they are not detailed in the type one then they are not much use in dealing with issues
    They will look at in the terms of
    How soon and how much time will it cut or the treatment time and would it clear back log and ease pressures on services for all
    That how I shall take tac on this
    But leaves a large space to change tac once again if hit walls
    I always say
    Hit a wall... Find a step

6. Jonnyjibbsuk

Jonnyjibbsuk · Guest

So I asked and I got all the answers I needed and I have a meeting next week with head of funding and local lobbyists ....I also have meeting with Whitehall ....
    And set up to go to the local DUK team in my area and see what I can see for a team .....

So here we go

7. Fayefaye1429

Wow you go Jonny!!!! Did it goes well as hoped?

8. Jonnyjibbsuk

Jonnyjibbsuk · Guest

I now fully understand carb counting and how to work with my meds and the last of the body insulin whirl in honey moon section of type one...
    I can now...within 0.5unit judge my card in take and med use.....

DNS was rather impressed ...but I know while in this section of time ...this is the best and last time to enjoy it all...as once the last of beta cells are killed of by my auto immune part of the diabites
    It will change loads ...but I will be ready for it

9. Fayefaye1429

It sounds like you are ready for it Jonny. Glad it went well aNd you feel as ok you can do with it

• Like Like x 2
  10. SandyDee

SandyDee Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm in Berkshire and I am waiting for another counselling service, which has no link to diabetes, but will hopefully be more helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  11. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

I think counselling should be available to anyone with a chronic condition.

You may not need any help and think that everything in the garden is lovely but you never know when you might need that help along the way.

This condition is with you forever and some may think that because they are coping at this moment in time that it will always be like this. We do not have a crystal ball and we do not know what the future holds so anyone of us could benefit from counselling at any given time.

• Like Like x 10
  12. Fayefaye1429

Hopefully one day the people in charge of money will see it to

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jonnyjibbsuk

Jonnyjibbsuk · Guest

Right well ...all set for Wednesday ...first- Whitehall then the local DBUK group I my area ..then after that have meeting with my local nhs trust .....
    Man am ready for battle

#93 Jonnyjibbsuk, May 4, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  14. Fayefaye1429

Look forward to hearing bout your adventure

15. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Just catching up with this.. What are you actually battling?

16. Jonnyjibbsuk

Jonnyjibbsuk · Guest

To see if we can bring to forefront that T1-T2 people need support in the transition of the life ...and also to show that to have a gap in the care ..ie counsellor that is fully trained in T1-T2 etc ....
    But will have to show why it is a gap and why it will have with Toc's on the main counsellors ....

If can have a pilot set up by DOH and get funding to train up and counsellors in this area and then see how this would impact the people and the care they get ..also showing that this would take pressure from the main stream counsellors

Plus loads more but pudding just came in lol

17. Fayefaye1429

Hehe it all sounds fabulous I train counsellors in the psychology of diBetes so it would be good to get more out there

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jonnyjibbsuk

Jonnyjibbsuk · Guest

I think there should be a small team of them in nhs trust and the ccg should see this is missing in the care pack as a whole

19. Jess33marsh

Jess33marsh Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Jonnyjibbsuk as someone who is trying to bring this gap in provision to attention by basing my masters degree on it and piloting some research as a Type1 qualified counsellor. Your passion and knowledge is invaluable and I wish you luck for Wednesday. I see the key to the success will be in an evidence based case put forward from a pilot scheme proving that you can save the NHS money in existing diabetes costs. Don't forget to vote on my poll if you haven't already it's all part of the fight for this

20. Jess33marsh

Jess33marsh Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Look at minding the gap report 2008 jonnyjibbsuk

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook