Counselling and Diabetes?

Should there be specific counselling offered to people living with diabetes?

• yes

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jonny good luck I would like to say to start with. They can be very helpful. You might want to slightly tighten your questions. What I mean is maybe getting to know their pct limitations might be helpful on your quest

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Oh I have been thinking the questions as much as poss all night
Have it down and I think should be good
Will let u know by 4pm today

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do think they sound awesome Jonny honest. I believe they may refer a lot to their own pct is all

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

But if they are not detailed in the type one then they are not much use in dealing with issues
They will look at in the terms of
How soon and how much time will it cut or the treatment time and would it clear back log and ease pressures on services for all
That how I shall take tac on this
But leaves a large space to change tac once again if hit walls
I always say
Hit a wall... Find a step

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

So I asked and I got all the answers I needed and I have a meeting next week with head of funding and local lobbyists ....I also have meeting with Whitehall ....
And set up to go to the local DUK team in my area and see what I can see for a team .....

So here we go

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

I now fully understand carb counting and how to work with my meds and the last of the body insulin whirl in honey moon section of type one...
I can now...within 0.5unit judge my card in take and med use.....

DNS was rather impressed ...but I know while in this section of time ...this is the best and last time to enjoy it all...as once the last of beta cells are killed of by my auto immune part of the diabites
It will change loads ...but I will be ready for it

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like you are ready for it Jonny. Glad it went well aNd you feel as ok you can do with it

Reactions: 2 people

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sandy,

I am sorry to hear this. I only know of some select groups, psychology in some PCTs and private counselling. Where in the UK are you maybe I can direct you to something in your area? or someone else can?
I'm in Berkshire and I am waiting for another counselling service, which has no link to diabetes, but will hopefully be more helpful.

C

catherinecherub

I think counselling should be available to anyone with a chronic condition.

You may not need any help and think that everything in the garden is lovely but you never know when you might need that help along the way.

This condition is with you forever and some may think that because they are coping at this moment in time that it will always be like this. We do not have a crystal ball and we do not know what the future holds so anyone of us could benefit from counselling at any given time.

Reactions: 10 people
J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Right well ...all set for Wednesday ...first- Whitehall then the local DBUK group I my area ..then after that have meeting with my local nhs trust .....
Man am ready for battle

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Right well ...all set for Wednesday ...first- Whitehall then the local DBUK group I my area ..then after that have meeting with my local nhs trust .....
Man am ready for battle

Just catching up with this.. What are you actually battling?

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

To see if we can bring to forefront that T1-T2 people need support in the transition of the life ...and also to show that to have a gap in the care ..ie counsellor that is fully trained in T1-T2 etc ....
But will have to show why it is a gap and why it will have with Toc's on the main counsellors ....

If can have a pilot set up by DOH and get funding to train up and counsellors in this area and then see how this would impact the people and the care they get ..also showing that this would take pressure from the main stream counsellors

Plus loads more but pudding just came in lol

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hehe it all sounds fabulous I train counsellors in the psychology of diBetes so it would be good to get more out there

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

I think there should be a small team of them in nhs trust and the ccg should see this is missing in the care pack as a whole

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jonnyjibbsuk as someone who is trying to bring this gap in provision to attention by basing my masters degree on it and piloting some research as a Type1 qualified counsellor. Your passion and knowledge is invaluable and I wish you luck for Wednesday. I see the key to the success will be in an evidence based case put forward from a pilot scheme proving that you can save the NHS money in existing diabetes costs. Don't forget to vote on my poll if you haven't already it's all part of the fight for this