Counting Calories

New_Type_2

Hi

those doing lchf, do you count calories or just let it be? Just not sure to worry about being under or over a generally accepted calorie count for weight loss.

Doing a five day high veg juice smoothie program whoch starts on Monday, which will be interesting....

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi, I haven't been calorie counting but I've cut my portion size recently to lose the last half stone. I think when you follow lchf you eat smaller amounts as the fat fills you up so you don't want so much as normal. What do you think?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

those doing lchf, do you count calories or just let it be? Just not sure to worry about being under or over a generally accepted calorie count for weight loss.

Doing a five day high veg juice smoothie program whoch starts on Monday, which will be interesting....
It's not a requirement if that's what you're asking. If you have a lot of weight to lose, it probably isn't necessary. However, if you don't have much to lose or if you're struggling to lose weight, it's an additional measurement that becomes very important.

I count calories but that's because I have a fairly low body fat percentage and because it's necessary in my personal situation. Others find that they don't need to and think it's a waste of time.

Bottom line- if you need to then count them; if you don't need to then don't.

New_Type_2

I reckon I could afford to lose a stone but breakfast was late so I've basically missed a meal today and calorie intake is about 1000, usually it's about 1500. It's lots less than it was. I don't want to screw up my metabolism (if it's working).

Been testing for three days and haven't gone over 7.2 yet, most post food testing is about 5.5. Fasting has been 5.8 and 6.2.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @New_Type_2

I am also on a LCHF. I use myfitnesspal online to record all my meals. It counts everything for you and costs nothing. But I tend to watch the carbs (trying to keep under 50g) and the calories always tend to land 1200-1500

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I just learned what I could eat low carb wise to keep to the carbohydrate intake I was aiming for. I've found in general that eating enough fats usually keeps me from being too hungry, and this tends to mean I eat less overall, as @13lizanne has said. My meter tells me whether I'm OK on the glucose levels front so that's what I tend to rely on.

Robbity

S

Sean01

Hi - It's useful to know some general figures - like the calories in a gram of fat (9) and in a gram of protein (4-5). The problem is that a gram of anything will include water content. If you feel the need to count calories - just work with approx figures - being a little bit out wont do you any harm (I appreciate there are some people on this web site that might faint at that last statement). Gradually, instinct will kick in and you will just know. Portion size is just as good as any at making sure you are eating appropriately.

Generally, people do not expend the same amount of calories every day (hot days/cold days) longer working days, walking because you missed the bus etc, so don't loose sleep over precision.