Counting counting....

jance

Hi. My partner is doing well most of the time as its all new to her. On Metformin and Gliclazide and numbers are coming down most of the time. She us having trouble carb counting....should she count the carbs or the sugar in the carbs. She had cheese on sour dough bread for lunch and a few crisps and melon and it went up to 13. All these items had a low carbs which sugar count. Is she counting wrong.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to count all carbs. All carbs including lettuce turn to BS.
With that lunch I would have been through the roof. The bread, crisps and melon all have loads of carbs. How about a salad with some protein dressed in olive oil and sea salt tomorrow?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sour dough bread is 50% carb and crisps are the same so yes she may be counting incorrectly but it all depends on quantity eaten

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
.should she count the carbs or the sugar in the carbs.

Total carbs is the figure your wife should be looking at when carb counting.

jance

You need to count all carbs. All carbs including lettuce turn to BS.
With that lunch I would have been through the roof. The bread, crisps and melon all have loads of carbs. How about a salad with some protein dressed in olive oil and sea salt tomorrow?
Hi. So how many carbs per meal? Its a minefield

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So how many carbs per meal. She is one of the odd folk who lost weight before diagnosed and could do with putting a bit back on. X

I'm afraid she will have to work that one out herself, have a look at the basic information that @daisy1 give you on joining the forum.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The number of carbs per meal depends on her own carb tolerance - we are all different. Personally I eat under 30g a day. Others eat more, others eat less. Cutting carbs means losing calories for energy, so she needs to make up those calories by increasing the amount of fat she eats. She can do this by ditching any low fat products and swapping for the real thing - butter as an example, avocados, certain nuts, cheese, unsweetened full fat yogurts, oily fish etc.

She needs to test before she eats then 2 hours after first bite. To test out new foods it is also a good plan to test at 90 minutes after first bite, and maybe also at an hour. By 2 hours she should have recovered from any spike. If the rise from before to 2 hours after is more than 2mmol/l (Preferably under 1.5mmol/l) there were too many carbs in that meal, so next time it needs tweaking - avoiding some or seriously cutting down the portion size. It is best to keep a food diary and record her levels alongside, then after a period patterns will emerge from which she can learn.

The worst culprits are bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and cereals, plus anything made with flour. We also need to be careful with fruit and milk. Persuade her to use her meter to learn which foods she personally can or can't tolerate.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Whilst keeping the carbs down she should increase the proteins and fats to make her feel full. As to how many carbs I would suggest you set a daily total and that needs to suit the person. What she has at each meal can vary within the total you set. I would make it less than 200gm but use a meter to guide you (do get a meter if you haven't got one yet). Did your partner lose weight unexpectedly or as part of a diet?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With all due respect I can't see how anyone without insulin could eat 200 g of carbs and stay anywhere near normal numbers.
Of course this is just my opinion and her MMV I needed to stay under 20 carbs per day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With all due respect I can't see how anyone without insulin could eat 200 g of carbs and stay anywhere near normal numbers.
Of course this is just my opinion and her MMV I needed to stay under 20 carbs per day.
I agree really. I was trying to suggest an upper limit to start with, but I agree many of us would stay way below that depending on potential weight gain etc. I probably have around 150gm/day and manage to have a stable weight and BMI around 22, but I have a few islet cells left and go to the gym.

jance

Hi and welcome. Whilst keeping the carbs down she should increase the proteins and fats to make her feel full. As to how many carbs I would suggest you set a daily total and that needs to suit the person. What she has at each meal can vary within the total you set. I would make it less than 200gm but use a meter to guide you (do get a meter if you haven't got one yet). Did your partner lose weight unexpectedly or as part of a diet?
Hi and thanks for relying.She lost weight and was drinking loads and using the loo at night hence went to docs and was diagnosed type two.