JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It seems the experts have just woken up to the fact that if you walk in an area where the virus has settled on the ground you can bring it home with you on the soles of your shoes.

So leave them out side or clean them thoroughly when you get home if you've been out.

I just wanted to give the info so no comments necessary if you don't feel like it.

Unless of course it's to say don't be an idiot we already knew that.

Reactions: Bre_NewU

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I guess you can bring it home on just about anything.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I was wondering about shoes this morning and thought since they are hardish surfaces it might be 5 days. Thanks for confirming. :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems the experts have just woken up to the fact that if you walk in an area where the virus has settled on the ground you can bring it home with you on the soles of your shoes.

So leave them out side or clean them thoroughly when you get home if you've been out.

I just wanted to give the info so no comments necessary if you don't feel like it.

Unless of course it's to say don't be an idiot we already knew that.
I'd better not tell my husband. He's got gloves on over his gloves, he's that scared he'll bring something home to me from the shop he works in. It's almost unavoidable at this point, so I just hope to be able to dodge it until there's a dependable medication/vaccine and lots of it to go around. And if not, well... I know he tried. ;)

Reactions: Tophat1900

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'd better not tell my husband. He's got gloves on over his gloves, he's that scared he'll bring something home to me from the shop he works in. It's almost unavoidable at this point, so I just hope to be able to dodge it until there's a dependable medication/vaccine and lots of it to go around. And if not, well... I know he tried. ;)
Just have a surreptitious clean of his boots when he's not looking.:)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thanks. I was wondering about shoes this morning and thought since they are hardish surfaces it might be 5 days. Thanks for confirming. :)

I was thinking a few days ago about anything that was bought at the super markets, food in cardboard, glass, tins etc, and fresh food that anyone could be handling was looking less appealing unless you really boil the living bejesus out of it.

Kind of depressing, but what can you do but be careful.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

In the same boat, suppressed immune system, liver disease, diabetes, decreased lung capacity.... I think I check just about all the boxes for high risk. So also hoping for the same. :***: Well, hoping that the wife doesn't bring it home being a health care worker. Not that your husband would be wandering through my house.... yep, it's a great time to be alive :D

Reactions: Liftupjoe

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wondered if it could be passed person to dog, dog to dog, dog to person? My dog has just got used to not having a shower after every walk because of the mud, do I need to start again?

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JRT

I'm certainly not an expert but sure that only problem would be if somebody stroked your dog who was infected and then you stroked your dog. Not sure about dog paws though. To be honest theres probably on so much you can do and stay sane! Ultimately in this situation guess it also comes down to washing hands after stroking dog,not touching face etc.x

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wondered if it could be passed person to dog, dog to dog, dog to person? My dog has just got used to not having a shower after every walk because of the mud, do I need to start again?
That I am unsure of but would go by better safe than sorry and start doing it again.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm certainly not an expert but sure that only problem would be if somebody stroked your dog who was infected and then you stroked your dog. Not sure about dog paws though. To be honest theres probably on so much you can do and stay sane! Ultimately in this situation guess it also comes down to washing hands after stroking dog,not touching face etc.x
I was thinking more of dog to dog contact. Dogs do the opposite of social distancing!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In the same boat, suppressed immune system, liver disease, diabetes, decreased lung capacity.... I think I check just about all the boxes for high risk. So also hoping for the same. :***: Well, hoping that the wife doesn't bring it home being a health care worker. Not that your husband would be wandering through my house.... yep, it's a great time to be alive :D
Me too in most respects, wife works in local hospital she has taken the last few days of her leave but has been told now she can work from home so that's a relief

I'm glad I was taken off Azathioprine as four years on them had driven my leukocytes down to zero and any infection let alone this would have been extremely dangerous am now just taking preds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900
M

Member496333

Doubtless true, although I feel that if I spend time messing about sanitising my shoes then I'm more likely to come into unnecessary contact with anything that is on them. An airlock, hazmat suit and decontamination wash is the only way to be sure :nurse:

Greg2010

Screenshot_20200326-120830.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200326-120830.png
    Screenshot_20200326-120830.png
    511.8 KB · Views: 349

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I live in a very urban, very 'high-exposure' environment, so I always take my shoes off at the door anyway, but these days, I've been spraying bleach solution on the soles of my shoes when I get home. Probably not foolproof, but as with masks, I think every little helps.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Thanks for the info, potentially I'm up the swanee because I had to shop this morning. Mind you, I normally kick my shoes off at the door, so I must remember to avoid the hallway.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the unlikely event of getting the virus on your shoes you still have to transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth before you become infected. If you are still worried can I suggest a baking tray with disinfectant to stand in à la foot and mouth disease.

Reactions: HSSS and Brunneria

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The thing is not to track the virus around the home as it could transfer to other surfaces around the home. Best to leave them out side or in an out house/garage or directly inside the front door. You can clean them with disinfectant wipes or such canvas type shoes can be cleaned in a washing machine on low heat.

Reactions: HSSS