1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID-19 can survive on soles for up to five days

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by JohnEGreen, Mar 26, 2020.

1. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

It seems the experts have just woken up to the fact that if you walk in an area where the virus has settled on the ground you can bring it home with you on the soles of your shoes.

So leave them out side or clean them thoroughly when you get home if you've been out.

I just wanted to give the info so no comments necessary if you don't feel like it.

Unless of course it's to say don't be an idiot we already knew that.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I guess you can bring it home on just about anything.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Thanks. I was wondering about shoes this morning and thought since they are hardish surfaces it might be 5 days. Thanks for confirming. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'd better not tell my husband. He's got gloves on over his gloves, he's that scared he'll bring something home to me from the shop he works in. It's almost unavoidable at this point, so I just hope to be able to dodge it until there's a dependable medication/vaccine and lots of it to go around. And if not, well... I know he tried. ;)

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JohnEGreen

Just have a surreptitious clean of his boots when he's not looking.:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'll quickly mop the hallway while I'm at it. ;) :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tophat1900

I was thinking a few days ago about anything that was bought at the super markets, food in cardboard, glass, tins etc, and fresh food that anyone could be handling was looking less appealing unless you really boil the living bejesus out of it.

Kind of depressing, but what can you do but be careful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tophat1900

In the same boat, suppressed immune system, liver disease, diabetes, decreased lung capacity.... I think I check just about all the boxes for high risk. So also hoping for the same. :***: Well, hoping that the wife doesn't bring it home being a health care worker. Not that your husband would be wandering through my house.... yep, it's a great time to be alive :D

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wondered if it could be passed person to dog, dog to dog, dog to person? My dog has just got used to not having a shower after every walk because of the mud, do I need to start again?

• Like Like x 1
  10. JRT

JRT · Member

I'm certainly not an expert but sure that only problem would be if somebody stroked your dog who was infected and then you stroked your dog. Not sure about dog paws though. To be honest theres probably on so much you can do and stay sane! Ultimately in this situation guess it also comes down to washing hands after stroking dog,not touching face etc.x

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. JohnEGreen

That I am unsure of but would go by better safe than sorry and start doing it again.

12. Mr_Pot

I was thinking more of dog to dog contact. Dogs do the opposite of social distancing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JohnEGreen

Me too in most respects, wife works in local hospital she has taken the last few days of her leave but has been told now she can work from home so that's a relief

I'm glad I was taken off Azathioprine as four years on them had driven my leukocytes down to zero and any infection let alone this would have been extremely dangerous am now just taking preds.

• Like Like x 1
    #13 JohnEGreen, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  14. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Doubtless true, although I feel that if I spend time messing about sanitising my shoes then I'm more likely to come into unnecessary contact with anything that is on them. An airlock, hazmat suit and decontamination wash is the only way to be sure :nurse:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Greg2010

Greg2010 · Newbie

Screenshot_20200326-120830.png

Attached Files:

16. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I live in a very urban, very 'high-exposure' environment, so I always take my shoes off at the door anyway, but these days, I've been spraying bleach solution on the soles of my shoes when I get home. Probably not foolproof, but as with masks, I think every little helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, potentially I'm up the swanee because I had to shop this morning. Mind you, I normally kick my shoes off at the door, so I must remember to avoid the hallway.

18. Mr_Pot

In the unlikely event of getting the virus on your shoes you still have to transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth before you become infected. If you are still worried can I suggest a baking tray with disinfectant to stand in à la foot and mouth disease.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Don't lick the soles of your shoes?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. JohnEGreen

The thing is not to track the virus around the home as it could transfer to other surfaces around the home. Best to leave them out side or in an out house/garage or directly inside the front door. You can clean them with disinfectant wipes or such canvas type shoes can be cleaned in a washing machine on low heat.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook