COVID-19 can survive on soles for up to five days

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the unlikely event of getting the virus on your shoes you still have to transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth before you become infected. If you are still worried can I suggest a baking tray with disinfectant to stand in à la foot and mouth disease.
You beat me to it - I was just about to say the same but my suggestion was going to be a trough full. o_O

Bearing up

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regardless of any perceived vector any thing and any one coming on to my croft is subject to strict bio security.
We use Virkron-s in the foot bath and as an aerosol mist for every thing else , just like the f&m days.
Tomorrow when I go out it will be in "going out" clothing and a change when home.

Reactions: zand and JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As long as we realize that shoes can carry the virus not only on the upper surfaces from droplets but on the soles as well and take precautions we may be a little safer.

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Knowing how these things work somebody somewhere set out to prove that the soles of shoes can carry virus so after x days they managed to find a trace ammount of virus. When reading any scientific paper always keep in mind the author set out to prove a hypothisis and not the reverse. In the real world shoe fetishists aside for the moment I don't feel my health threatened by shoes. What worries me is hand rails, door handles and button on lifts and cash line machines.

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Me too in most respects, wife works in local hospital she has taken the last few days of her leave but has been told now she can work from home so that's a relief

I'm glad I was taken off Azathioprine as four years on them had driven my leukocytes down to zero and any infection let alone this would have been extremely dangerous am now just taking preds.

I'm sure that's a relief to have her work from home. My wife works one on one at a clients house, so less exposure. Glad you're off the AZA drug, that's a nasty drug. It's responsible for my liver damage.

Oh well, we battle on for another day.. cheers, John! :)

lindisfel

Expert
A good point about shoes if one walks where others have, particularly if they are spitting and coughing.
Will leave mine in porch out the way.

The shopping was brought to us wednesday by a pastoral volunteer from the church.
He put in on a path, out of his bags.
What was in plastic I cut with scissors and tipped contents into clean hessian bag without touching..re carrots etc.
I washed what I could, and was in plastic, in a bowl of soapy water.
The wife who was clean, dried and handled to clean area.
What was in cardboard, I just wiped and dried.
All fruit bagged or not bagged, was washed and dried by wife who was clean.
I am pleased it wasn't raining because it took a long time.
After getting clean in the house, I brought all the shopping in and stored it away.

When I touch the post, I consider it contaminated, I cut it open outside and throw the outside of mail away.
When I've washed my hands, I bring the mail inside.
Fliers are considered contaminated and binned immediately, they should be stopped.

I don't like the postie touching my gate so intend to leave it open.
Its a nightmare! Its obviously going through London like a dose of salts.

When we went outside to clap last night, we only heard ourselves in the blackness, it is that isolated. There was just a rocket went up from a small town three miles away.

So we are fortunate, but there are no guarantees.
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thank you for this - shoes being contaminated hadn't occurred to me.

lindisfel

Expert
Just heard a couple things,

The Americans think one ventilator can work on two patients at the same time. I hope we can sort that one out, it would double the patients that can be treated.

Its not just the old, well over 40 doctors have died in Italy.
D.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wondered if it could be passed person to dog, dog to dog, dog to person? My dog has just got used to not having a shower after every walk because of the mud, do I need to start again?

A cat in Belgium is suspected of having covid 19 which they think it caught from its owner.
"
We have recently been made aware of a report from Belgium that a cat owned by a woman with COVID-19 developed symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea and breathing difficulties and that some type of coronavirus was detected in the cat’s faeces.
There are limited details at present and we do not know what type of test was used or whether the cats symptoms were definitely related to Covid 19 infection.
Luckily the symptoms were transitory. This might be the first possible case of human to cat transmission and if so, is extremely rare.
There is no evidence that cats can transmit COVID-19 to humans and so owners should not worry unnecessarily. As a precaution it is advised that owners should wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling their cat and that people who are infected with COVID-19 should be particularly careful by minimising contact with their pet and washing their hands before and after handling."

https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-ad...in-belgium-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19

"
A dog in Hong Kong whose owner was infected with coronavirus has tested “weak positive” for the virus, said the government on Friday.
In a release, a spokesman for the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said the dog was referred to them by the Department of Health on 26 February.
After collecting oral, nasal and rectal samples, the AFCD found the dog tested positive for the virus – but did not have any symptoms.
“The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus, or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog’s mouth and nose,” an AFCD spokesperson said in the statement.
The spokesperson added that it did not yet have evidence that “pet animals” could be infected with Covid-19 virus, or could pass it on to humans."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...news-hong-kong-pet-dog-positive-a9364816.html

Just a bit more info for you I would just take normal precautions if I were you.

lindisfel

Expert
Vectors for disease spread are problematical. Lets hope its very rare.
D.

A cat in Belgium is suspected of having covid 19 which they think it caught from its owner.
"
We have recently been made aware of a report from Belgium that a cat owned by a woman with COVID-19 developed symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea and breathing difficulties and that some type of coronavirus was detected in the cat’s faeces.
There are limited details at present and we do not know what type of test was used or whether the cats symptoms were definitely related to Covid 19 infection.
Luckily the symptoms were transitory. This might be the first possible case of human to cat transmission and if so, is extremely rare.
There is no evidence that cats can transmit COVID-19 to humans and so owners should not worry unnecessarily. As a precaution it is advised that owners should wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling their cat and that people who are infected with COVID-19 should be particularly careful by minimising contact with their pet and washing their hands before and after handling."

https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-ad...in-belgium-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19

"
A dog in Hong Kong whose owner was infected with coronavirus has tested “weak positive” for the virus, said the government on Friday.
In a release, a spokesman for the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said the dog was referred to them by the Department of Health on 26 February.
After collecting oral, nasal and rectal samples, the AFCD found the dog tested positive for the virus – but did not have any symptoms.
“The Department will conduct close monitoring of the above dog and collect further samples for testing to confirm if the dog has really been infected with the virus, or this is a result of environmental contamination of the dog’s mouth and nose,” an AFCD spokesperson said in the statement.
The spokesperson added that it did not yet have evidence that “pet animals” could be infected with Covid-19 virus, or could pass it on to humans."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...news-hong-kong-pet-dog-positive-a9364816.html

Just a bit more info for you I would just take normal precautions if I were you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"

"

I think I will wait until there is a LOT more clear evidence about this before jumping to any conclusions.

It is only a matter of time before people start abandoning pets during this pandemic. Either they won’t be able to source petfood, or afford petfood, or aren’t exercising them properly, or just abandon them unfed in fields (such as horses), or (as suggested in those links) start blaming the cats and dogs for carrying disease.

I anticipate more pressure on animal shelters at a time when those animal shelters are least able to manage the influx, and a number of people may use this as an excuse to just dump unwanted pets.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t imagine abandoning a pet. They are family members >_<... I can share my meat with my cat.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think I will wait until there is a LOT more clear evidence about this before jumping to any conclusions.

It is only a matter of time before people start abandoning pets during this pandemic. Either they won’t be able to source petfood, or afford petfood, or aren’t exercising them properly, or just abandon them unfed in fields (such as horses), or (as suggested in those links) start blaming the cats and dogs for carrying disease.

I anticipate more pressure on animal shelters at a time when those animal shelters are least able to manage the influx, and a number of people may use this as an excuse to just dump unwanted pets.

Its happening already. Mr C says on Facebook he's seen posts from animal shelters asking people not to dump their pets.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
breaks my heart.
Mine too but I'm having to stop Mr C from looking at the dogs who need re-homing because we're struggling to find the amount of dog food we get through for the three we've already got.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would consider it a reason to take extra care of your pets and include them in your efforts to stop the spread of the virus just like any other member of your family not to abandon them.

Sadly our dog Sox is no longer with us but nothing on this earth would have made us abandon her.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
15781684_1846409535574981_3633402041413752039_n.jpg

Our beautiful girl Pebbles <3 11 years old in July <3