Covid and diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!
So today I’ve tested positive for Covid. I’ve had 2 jabs and at the moment I just have what feels like a bad head cold, I can taste, smell, no cough or temperature yet. Just wondered if anyone has had it and what their experiences are/what I should look out for. Thanks in advance

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mandy I have read a few people on the forum who are double jabbed have got Covid recently. I hope @Rachox who is the one I remember because we are on a regular Eating thread wont mind me tagging her. Hopefully you will have a mild version and recover soon.

Reactions: Mandythepincushion

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @PenguinMum , I hesitated a little from replying here as I’m a type 2, the OP is type 1. However, yes I am double jabbed, 2nd jab being at the end of April. I fell ill on 8th July. I had a cough, runny nose, sore throat and fatigue, my temp never went above 37.5c, I lost my sense of smell completely which affected my taste, but in the last few days I can smell again. All I have left now is an occasional cough and I still tire easily but all in all it wasn’t too bad, I have worse bouts of flu.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, I am type 1 & had covid in October 2020. Initially thought I had a sinus infection but then very quickly I lost my sense of taste & smell & head was pounding.
Diabetes wise I initially suffered more hypos than normal which was strange
I don't recall high BG's which would be normal with fighting an infection.
Hope your symptoms are mild.
Take care.

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm type 1 (almost 50 years) and I've just tested positive on a lateral flow, waiting for PCR tomorrow. I initially thought it was a bad cold, runny nose, thumping headache, hot and cold spells, but no cough or especially sore throat. Today I can't taste or smell anything. I've been having problems with my BG anyway, I've now doubled my basal rate and bonuses.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi, I'm type 1 (almost 50 years) and I've just tested positive on a lateral flow, waiting for PCR tomorrow. I initially thought it was a bad cold, runny nose, thumping headache, hot and cold spells, but no cough or especially sore throat. Today I can't taste or smell anything. I've been having problems with my BG anyway, I've now doubled my basal rate and bonuses.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

bree1982

Hi guys,

Currently on day 7 of covid….

I am a type1 diabetic, I have been utterly floored..!

Double jabbed, constant cough, no temp, major blockage in nose and sinuses, no taste or smell, dizzy, always tired, vomiting….

today is the first day l have sat in the living room and upright for more than an hour

blood sugar is all over the place, currently following the sick day rules and also ketones got to 1 mmol

prob the worst I have been in years..!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really sorry you're feeling so poorly, and hope you feel better soon. When you're unwell, often the last thing you feel like doing is trying to keep your blood sugar right. If the sickness and ketones don't improve, do seek medical help.