COVID and type 2 , higher blood glucose

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tested positive for COVID today after a few days of not been 100% blood sugars been higher than normal, think I must have had it a few days.

After dinner with 29gsm carbs and 90 mins later seems to have settled, now heading down, just.

This is only the second time I've tested positive for COVID and first since diagnosis, must admit been feeling a lot worse than last time, but it comes a s goes. One minute feel awful then an hour later feel fine.

What's your experience with diabetes and COVID ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421-201848.png
    Screenshot_20240421-201848.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 56

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had COVID 2020 Nov, so not sure the mutation/strain is similar

Rough as, for 10/11 days.

Never thought I was gonna die, but my god it was the worst cold/flu I'd ever had

Testing sugars was the last thing in my mind.

Off my food, hacking up phlegm & lots of sleeping.

May not be much help, but back then loss of sense of smell & taste a symptom.

Once I started eating again, I ate VERY spicey & a no no but very sweet

Taste and smell back to normal by the 20th day.

Others took months .

Began testing about 3 weeks in, disrupted by the food so meant little, took a week more before I settled back down to around 6/7 on the morning FBG

I'd say, one battle at a time .

Type 2 can wait

Get over COVID and then get back to normal ... :cool:

Good luck

Last edited:

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tested positive for COVID today after a few days of not been 100% blood sugars been higher than normal, think I must have had it a few days.

After dinner with 29gsm carbs and 90 mins later seems to have settled, now heading down, just.

This is only the second time I've tested positive for COVID and first since diagnosis, must admit been feeling a lot worse than last time, but it comes a s goes. One minute feel awful then an hour later feel fine.

Covid was the final nail in my insulin producing coffin. I caught it last year, was on hols in Holland at the time, and I felt OK with it apart from the cough but my blood sugars went super high and stayed there, couldn't wait to get home which was a shame as I love Holland. Funnily enough my initial diagnosis was after I caught a Covid like virus at the end of 2016, and just felt worse and worse after until I got diagnosed with diabetes. Viruses are not too good for us it seems!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt pretty rough, lost sense of taste and smell (as in everything tasted foul not as in tasted of nothing) and BG rose annoyingly but not catastrophically. It was helpful from my T2 point of view as in I wasn't interested in food so intermittent fasting/staying on keto diet was easy. It all sorted itself out over about 6 weeks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Virii and vaccines can mess with our blood sugars for a bit. With C19, which I've had a few times, as well as the jabs, usually my numbers would dip instead of rise, which was weird, well beyond odd... Time before last though, I was spiking too. The time after, hypo's, while I'm not medicated. Just take care of yourself, keep an eye on your blood sugars, and give yourself some time after this to get back to normal. Which could be days, weeks or months, no telling. Just don't kick yourself around for something you have little to no control over.

Hope you feel better soon!
Hugs,
Jo

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got it the first time sept 22 and was hospitalised and incapable of eating as my throat closed up and was incredibly painful. As I was on their drips full of glucose it’s hard to say how much was that and how much Covid but I was easily double my usual levels in hospital (mid teens which they didn’t care at all about). It did get better to a degree as soon I was home, but never really back to pre Covid levels, a mmoL or two higher. Second bout this new year has bumped it up again and is only going back to the post first bout levels now. Im convinced it does some long term damage somewhere in the regulation system somewhere in quite a number of people (even if not all). None of the jabs effected levels one way or the other.