Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So he reckons on there being a 75% error in death rate

Cause of death rate I think.. people are still dead but what they died from rather than with is key.

The hyperbole in the press is stunning.
I had to correct a Guardian journalist today claiming that the death rate was "quadrupling every month".
Looking at the most recent data it hasn't even doubled..month on month let alone "every month".

To give him his due the headline was updated although the figures still look dodgy to me.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
https://gbdeclaration.org/#read

This is the petition signed by many doctors and created by 3 reputable epidimilogists/virologists.
It gives the lie to the idea that 'the science' is fixed upon our current Covid suppression strategy. It truly isn't.
It advocates protection of those elderly or very vulnerable that wish to be protected whilst allowing others to carry on as normal.
It seems to have fallen foul of Google's algorithmn so I've linked it here in case anyone wants to read it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://gbdeclaration.org/#read

This is the petition signed by many doctors and created by 3 reputable epidimilogists/virologists.
It gives the lie to the idea that 'the science' is fixed upon our current Covid suppression strategy. It truly isn't.
It advocates protection of those elderly or very vulnerable that wish to be protected whilst allowing others to carry on as normal.
It seems to have fallen foul of Google's algorithmn so I've linked it here in case anyone wants to read it.
These guys are dreamers par excellance. Brave New World again. These logical thinkers seem to be taking over in America at the moment. I note most of the signatories are from USA Universities. They claim old folk are 'thousandfold' more likely to die than any other group. Well, yes, we are older so that seems logical. Not sure of their claim though.

Edit to update: being discussed on CNN today (14th Oct) since it seems to have originated in the White House who are apparently backing it. The news feed tonight says there are 37 signatories to this petition.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure many of you won't like this but.....when talking about "the numbers" those numbers are incredibly important.

https://www.ukcolumn.org/article/covid-19-data-exposing-deception
Now I can appreciate concerns at what ons classify as covid death and reporting issues and this report highlights these issue clearly; but honestly? comparing the ons figures to an employers understanding of what caused their employers death? Seriously It’s apples and pears ? What employer is going to know the nitty gritty of exactly what their employee died of, other than what is reported to them by next of kin or what’s on the same death certificate being used (and criticised by the author) by ons. Or am I missing something entirely here

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I can appreciate concerns at what ons classify as covid death and reporting issues and this report highlights these issue clearly; but honestly? comparing the ons figures to an employers understanding of what caused their employers death? Seriously It’s apples and pears ? What employer is going to know the nitty gritty of exactly what their employee died of, other than what is reported to them by next of kin or what’s on the same death certificate being used (and criticised by the author) by ons. Or am I missing something entirely here

Simply pointing out that not everything is what it appears to be..
I'm neither saying its right or wrong simply that it should be considered.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Just had a row with my son over the phone. He has tested postive as well as his son, aged 5, another two added to the 'cases'. A couple of weeks ago they both had a chest infection but my DIL didn't. He said that he wants us to get a test because we have met up with them. I told him that we do not want a test and he shouted very loudly. Should we be tested?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Just had a row with my son over the phone. He has tested postive as well as his son, aged 5, another two added to the 'cases'. A couple of weeks ago they both had a chest infection but my DIL didn't. He said that he wants us to get a test because we have met up with them. I told him that we do not want a test and he shouted very loudly. Should we be tested?

Your call..

Do you feel in the slightest bit ill?

Do you want to spend 2 weeks locked indoors if your result turns out as "positive"?

Reactions: Member496333

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker
Neither of us feels in any way ill.
I do not want to spend any time indoors at the moment. John is still recovering from his dislocated shoulder operation and I have a carer that comes in for a couple of hours 3 or 4 times a week. He has Parkinsons and dementia so getting away from him is good for my mental health.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker
I do not want to spend any time indoors at the moment. John is still recovering from his dislocated shoulder operation and I have a carer that comes in for a couple of hours 3 or 4 times a week. He has Parkinsons and dementia so getting away from him is good for my mental health.
I think you've answered your own question.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@bulkbiker

Hi,

But then you could just be lucky & "asymptomatic?"

Is your husband the only "customer" your carer has?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Yes.
John has tested negative on 8th August and 8th September during his hospital stays.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you've answered your own question.
DIL has tested negative. So if she hasn't got it from being with them all the time how would I have got it from a couple of hours in the garden on Sunday.

Dark Horse

This is the guidance about which contacts of someone diagnosed with Covid need to self-isolate.You may find that you don't qualify:- https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes.
John has tested negative on 8th August and 8th September during his hospital stays.

Hi,

I feel you missed my earlier question, I'll rephrase it.

Is your husband the only visit your carer has in a working week??

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I can say is....no wonder the virus is still spreading :banghead::rolleyes:
It's endemic in the population and will carry on spreading until it runs out of people to infect.
There is no way to "control" the spread of a virus once it's here as the countries with the most strict lockdowns have shown.
Peru and Belgium. Highest deaths per million of pop in the world. Lockdowns, masks and curfews.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should we be tested?
Without meaning to insult @bulkbiker why should he be able to answer your question any more “correctly/factually than anyone else? It’s not an opinion, it’s a matter of science and law.

Do you feel in the slightest bit ill?

Do you want to spend 2 weeks locked indoors if your result turns out as "positive"?
. Irrelevant. You are either exposed or not regardless of symptoms or wishes.

Irrelevant to his status today.

DIL has tested negative. So if she hasn't got it from being with them all the time how would I have got it from a couple of hours in the garden on Sunday.
Not scientifically based assumption. I agree it would seem more likely she would get it than you but you simply don’t know. She could still be incubating the virus and if tested tomorrow or next week prove positive. She stills needs to isolate for 14 days as a household member

Test and trace would tell anyone in contact within 2m for more than 15 mins in the 48hrs prior to symptom onset to isolate. Other sources suggest 5 days prior to symptoms onset if you prefer to be cautious in not risking spreading it onwards.

This seems to suggest you need to isolate if you saw them Sunday unless you were consistently more than 2m apart.

Why would you risk spreading it further if you are indeed infected with the virus?

Reactions: SilverK

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Simply pointing out that not everything is what it appears to be..
I'm neither saying its right or wrong simply that it should be considered.
I’m quite prepared to consider the ons data set has potential flaws.

I am not willing to consider employers know better than the medics signing death certificates. It’s simply not relevant.

Reactions: zand