1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Lupf, May 15, 2020.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

So he reckons on there being a 75% error in death rate? Even so we are still looking at WW2 mortality, except it would be over 3 years not 1. Still gets my attention. Still qualifies as a Pandemic in my mind.

We know the figures are flaky, but cannot use that to justify letting it all go hang. I am still shielding from Wave#1 and will continue as long as it takes. I do not need accuracy to within 2 decimal places to know that we are in trouble.

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Cause of death rate I think.. people are still dead but what they died from rather than with is key.

The hyperbole in the press is stunning.
    I had to correct a Guardian journalist today claiming that the death rate was "quadrupling every month".
    Looking at the most recent data it hasn't even doubled..month on month let alone "every month".

To give him his due the headline was updated although the figures still look dodgy to me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

https://gbdeclaration.org/#read

This is the petition signed by many doctors and created by 3 reputable epidimilogists/virologists.
    It gives the lie to the idea that 'the science' is fixed upon our current Covid suppression strategy. It truly isn't.
    It advocates protection of those elderly or very vulnerable that wish to be protected whilst allowing others to carry on as normal.
    It seems to have fallen foul of Google's algorithmn so I've linked it here in case anyone wants to read it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

These guys are dreamers par excellance. Brave New World again. These logical thinkers seem to be taking over in America at the moment. I note most of the signatories are from USA Universities. They claim old folk are 'thousandfold' more likely to die than any other group. Well, yes, we are older so that seems logical. Not sure of their claim though.

Edit to update: being discussed on CNN today (14th Oct) since it seems to have originated in the White House who are apparently backing it. The news feed tonight says there are 37 signatories to this petition.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #564 Oldvatr, Oct 13, 2020 at 2:22 PM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  5. bulkbiker

That's kind of backed up by the figures though.. you know data...

God forbid we should use logic over panic?

6. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Now I can appreciate concerns at what ons classify as covid death and reporting issues and this report highlights these issue clearly; but honestly? comparing the ons figures to an employers understanding of what caused their employers death? Seriously It’s apples and pears ? What employer is going to know the nitty gritty of exactly what their employee died of, other than what is reported to them by next of kin or what’s on the same death certificate being used (and criticised by the author) by ons. Or am I missing something entirely here

• Like Like x 2
  7. bulkbiker

Simply pointing out that not everything is what it appears to be..
    I'm neither saying its right or wrong simply that it should be considered.

8. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@bulkbiker Just had a row with my son over the phone. He has tested postive as well as his son, aged 5, another two added to the 'cases'. A couple of weeks ago they both had a chest infection but my DIL didn't. He said that he wants us to get a test because we have met up with them. I told him that we do not want a test and he shouted very loudly. Should we be tested?

9. bulkbiker

Your call..

Do you feel in the slightest bit ill?

Do you want to spend 2 weeks locked indoors if your result turns out as "positive"?

• Like Like x 1
  10. carol43

@bulkbiker
    Neither of us feels in any way ill.
    I do not want to spend any time indoors at the moment. John is still recovering from his dislocated shoulder operation and I have a carer that comes in for a couple of hours 3 or 4 times a week. He has Parkinsons and dementia so getting away from him is good for my mental health.

11. bulkbiker

I think you've answered your own question.

12. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

But then you could just be lucky & "asymptomatic?"

Is your husband the only "customer" your carer has?

13. carol43

Yes.
    John has tested negative on 8th August and 8th September during his hospital stays.

14. carol43

DIL has tested negative. So if she hasn't got it from being with them all the time how would I have got it from a couple of hours in the garden on Sunday.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. bulkbiker

Exactly.

16. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

This is the guidance about which contacts of someone diagnosed with Covid need to self-isolate.You may find that you don't qualify:- https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person

17. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I feel you missed my earlier question, I'll rephrase it.

Is your husband the only visit your carer has in a working week??

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

All I can say is....no wonder the virus is still spreading :banghead::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. bulkbiker

It's endemic in the population and will carry on spreading until it runs out of people to infect.
    There is no way to "control" the spread of a virus once it's here as the countries with the most strict lockdowns have shown.
    Peru and Belgium. Highest deaths per million of pop in the world. Lockdowns, masks and curfews.

20. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Without meaning to insult @bulkbiker why should he be able to answer your question any more “correctly/factually than anyone else? It’s not an opinion, it’s a matter of science and law.

. Irrelevant. You are either exposed or not regardless of symptoms or wishes.

Irrelevant to his status today.

Not scientifically based assumption. I agree it would seem more likely she would get it than you but you simply don’t know. She could still be incubating the virus and if tested tomorrow or next week prove positive. She stills needs to isolate for 14 days as a household member

Test and trace would tell anyone in contact within 2m for more than 15 mins in the 48hrs prior to symptom onset to isolate. Other sources suggest 5 days prior to symptoms onset if you prefer to be cautious in not risking spreading it onwards.

This seems to suggest you need to isolate if you saw them Sunday unless you were consistently more than 2m apart.

Why would you risk spreading it further if you are indeed infected with the virus?

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook