1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Lupf, May 15, 2020.

1. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m quite prepared to consider the ons data set has potential flaws.

I am not willing to consider employers know better than the medics signing death certificates. It’s simply not relevant.

• Like Like x 1
  2. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Yes, he is her only patient.

3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@carol43 - or any other member - is perfectly at liberty to tag/ask the opinion of whomever they like. Just as others reading the thread are at liberty to place as much or as little weight on said opinion as they choose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've had had experience in the past with my mother being full time career for my T2 dad with me as local support & a regular carer package assigned to give my mum "respite." I've done my fair share of "dadsitting" too..

Mental health for the full time carer is imperative.
    My sister now takes full time care of my mum & give my sister's family a break for a week or two living in with a visiting carer I normally plan an itinerary we were and was actively looking forward to August whilst my sister & family were on holiday.. Then covid.

I feel your son did the right thing informing you of his situation.
    I saw my sister at my BiL's funeral not long ago.. (The last time was Christmas.)

I would have done the same phoned (nay video called.) & informed.

Best wishes with your choice regarding your news. & all the best to your son & his family..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If it helps you to decide then my place of work asks the following questions (bearing in mind my occupation involves a gazillion close contacts with others in uncontrolled circumstances); Were you within 1 metre of the person who has tested positive in a face to face conversation within the preceding 48 hours OR were you more than 15 minutes in that person's company within the preceding 48 hours? If the answer is yes, then we are told to self isolate followed by a test. If the answer is no then we carry on as normal UNLESS we are displaying any Covid symptoms. x

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. HSSS

Fair point. I wasn’t suggesting she shouldn’t ask or listen to anyone she wishes to ask.

Just making the point that no one person has a monopoly on opinions. Facts of law are another matter

Apologies if it came across otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jamie H

Jamie H · Well-Known Member

The law is simple on it really. Close contact.. Self isolate for 14 days whether you have symptoms or not.

Only then get a test yourself if you develop symptoms

• Like Like x 2
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

"guidance"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The advice is-You do not need a test unless you show symptoms. Have you been in close proximity? If yes isolate for 14 days. You may test negative if you tested now but still get it in 13 days. That’s how long this stupid virus can take to show itself. People rushing off getting a test without symptoms are part of the problem. It tells you nothing unless you have symptoms. If you live in an area like I do that has been under watch, now in a high are, you should not have been in close proximity anyway so in that case you will be safe!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Are there situations where you don't have symptoms but have it in the time it takes for symptoms to appear?

11. HSSS

Law if contacted and directed to isolate as a contact by nhs or their agents (test and track for example)

12. bulkbiker

Good reason not to download Serco's app?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HSSS

Of course. You can be asymptomatic but positive if you were tested in that 14 days. In this scenario though you would, under current advice, have no grounds to test so wouldn’t know. The only way you would know you were positive is to lie about symptoms and get a test or be qualified under a research scheme or employment basis. (Eg care home worker)

14. HSSS

I’m sure that’s one reason why people don’t but the app is specifically excluded from the legislation as being a legal requirement to isolate. It is advisory unless nhs employee or agent. Shame but will please people sharing your views.

15. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Now I actually agree with you on this one....

17. HSSS

And having read some similar issues I too have chosen not to download it. But then I go to so few places and in such a way as I personally know anyone who I could possibly expose according to their guidelines (2m 15mins) and would update them as soon as there was any concern anyway. By and large I trust them to do the same, more than I would the app anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes I am very much the same.

19. bulkbiker

• Like Like x 1
  20. bulkbiker

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook