Covid vaccine

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor has posted that they expect cohort 5 to be all invited this week and then invites for cohort 6 to start next week. I'm near Cheltenham, it certainly sounds like a postcode thing but to be fair I'm in an area with a higher age demographic so not significantly surprised

There is only so many they can do in a day, they can't come ntrol how people live, but you would kind of expect that areas skewed towards the older generation to receive more vaccines first but who knows why they do the things they do
But that isn't the issue. I've been happy to wait my turn all along. For most/all of groups 1 to 5 to be at least offered the vaccine before I get my go as group 6. And then for most/all of group 6 to have been offered the vaccine before appointments open up for group 7.

Instead, what I'm routinely seeing at the moment, is people in groups 7 to 9 being vaccinated. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here in group 6, still waiting. And since the figures show Merseyside and Cheshire as one entity, I'm totally baffled as to why groups 7 to 9 in Merseyside are getting appointments, while clearly at least some people in group 6 in Cheshire are not.

Southport in particular, has an elderly population. But it's finding time to vaccinate people in groups 7 and 8.

As 'clinically vulnerable' (though not extremely so) I'm advised to take particular care in isolating from others. Something which people in groups 7 and upwards are not advised to do. In all honesty, I doubt my diet managed diabetes is a significant risk factor for me as an individual, and without it, I'd be in group 9 anyway. But it's a fact that I am in group 6, and watching people in groups 7 to 9 get offered appointments ahead of me, boils my blood.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But that isn't the issue. I've been happy to wait my turn all along. For most/all of groups 1 to 5 to be at least offered the vaccine before I get my go as group 6. And then for most/all of group 6 to have been offered the vaccine before appointments open up for group 7.

Instead, what I'm routinely seeing at the moment, is people in groups 7 to 9 being vaccinated. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here in group 6, still waiting. And since the figures show Merseyside and Cheshire as one entity, I'm totally baffled as to why groups 7 to 9 in Merseyside are getting appointments, while clearly at least some people in group 6 in Cheshire are not.

Southport in particular, has an elderly population. But it's finding time to vaccinate people in groups 7 and 8.

As 'clinically vulnerable' (though not extremely so) I'm advised to take particular care in isolating from others. Something which people in groups 7 and upwards are not advised to do. In all honesty, I doubt my diet managed diabetes is a significant risk factor for me as an individual, and without it, I'd be in group 9 anyway. But it's a fact that I am in group 6, and watching people in groups 7 to 9 get offered appointments ahead of me, boils my blood.
I totally understand. There have been "celebrity" vaccinations for those below group 6 and the exact same questions have been asked. No clear definitive answer as to why people are jumping the queue is given unless they have issues they aren't sharing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This was posted on my GP surgery's Facebook page.

By 12th February, we had together vaccinated over 7,800 people in the nationally agreed cohorts 1 to 4. We now have the opportunity to roll the vaccine out to the over 65’s and the clinically vulnerable. This is a large group, so how soon we can complete these cohorts will depend on how many vaccines we receive and when.

Their "problem" has been the faster they have done things, the less vaccine they have received. Their previous allocation was cut as the rest was diverted to other areas that were behind. This is outside their control.

I had mine at our GP surgery on 5th Feb. The Astra-Zeneca jab. (I am 73) My husband had his the week before (he is 75). He had the Pfizer jab. I had one day of fuzziness and being tired. He had nothing other than a sore arm. Prior to receiving my invitation to book an appointment I received the national NHS letter inviting me to the central hub in a nearby town, saying I could also wait for my local GP to contact me if I preferred. I chose to wait, and waited just 3 days.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it makes you feel any better, @Nicole T , here in Merseyside, (though I prefer to stick to the original , traditional geographical name for the area, Lancashire) my significant other age 69, with no discernable health problems, (priority 5) has not had his call up yet, either.
I think it is due to GPs grouping together, and also depends on the ages of their patients. We seem to be among the youngest patients at our surgery group. I have had mine, but appeared to me was one of the last in my age group, (clinically extremely vulnerable, so priority 4).

Edit to add.. I think the Southport area, and some areas in Liverpool, had recently been shown to have a new variant of covid, faster transmitting. Perhaps a reason for urgency to vaccinate? Just speculation on my part, though.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's perfectly understandable that areas that are falling behind should be prioritised for supplies. I always thought that was how it would happen, at least in a system where capacity is dictated by vaccine supply rather than the infrastructure to administer it. There will naturally be some fluid crossover between groups, and as the demand for current groups tail off, later ones should be brought into play. But to announce that they're just starting group 6, and pretty much the same day start offering vaccines to people in group 9, is ludicrous. Yet that's precisely what the Cheshire and Merseyside partnership appears to have done.

I've e-mailed them a few minutes ago, asking for clarification of whether group 6 is is being prioritised over groups 7 and above. I doubt I'll get a timely reply, but I'm not sure what else I can do. Meanwhile, I'll continue to have my heart skip a beat every time my phone rings, hoping it's finally my turn. I've been doing that since Monday.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in Buckinghamshire and I've seen people under the age of 60 with no health issues be vaccinated at our local centre. I've left a message with my GP and tried 119 (who agreed I should be able to get an appointment but they were unable to book it). Being at the mercy of my GP's admin doesn't fill me with confidence. They were useless organizing flu jabs.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reply today from Cheshire and Merseyside NHS partnership. They state that they are targeting groups 5 and 6 at the moment, and are not offering vaccines to anyone in group 7+. The suggestion is that anyone I know who's in those groups and has been vaccinated must have a condition that qualifies them as group 6. But at least two people emphatically deny that they have any reason to consider themselves at risk.

They're supposedly getting through the group 6 invitations in the next 2 weeks, so if mine doesn't turn up within that time frame, I suppose I'll have to assume that I've slipped through the net.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The suggestion is that anyone I know who's in those groups and has been vaccinated must have a condition that qualifies them as group 6. But at least two people emphatically deny that they have any reason to consider themselves at risk.

Some new shielding letters have gone out today based on a news algorithm which has been developed following government research. I know one or two people who have received them who definitely would not consider themselves to be CEV.

I’ve posted links to the research and an associated calculator here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...and-general-chat.175600/page-111#post-2367728

Reactions: urbanracer

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in Buckinghamshire and I've seen people under the age of 60 with no health issues be vaccinated at our local centre. I've left a message with my GP and tried 119 (who agreed I should be able to get an appointment but they were unable to book it). Being at the mercy of my GP's admin doesn't fill me with confidence. They were useless organizing flu jabs.
It is difficult, I know friends who have been called because they live near to the centre whuch had vaccines doses which would have been wasted because they werent able to successfully contact any more of the current priority groups to book in. I also had funny looks when I went as I was classed as CEV by my consultant and GP due to risk of exposure at work, but to a stranger look like a slim under 40 yr old with nothing wrong, as type 1 isn't a visible disability (when you're in a winter coat and no libre on show at least!). I guess the people under 60 could also be carers and so eligible? Such a shame how much of a postcode lottery this has become.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some new shielding letters have gone out today based on a news algorithm which has been developed following government research. I know one or two people who have received them who definitely would not consider themselves to be CEV.

I’ve posted links to the research and an associated calculator here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...and-general-chat.175600/page-111#post-2367728
Yes, looks like if you score above an absolute risk of 0.5% (or 5 in 1,000) and (or?) Relative risk of 10 then you are on the list, mine comes out at about at 1 in 10309 (relative risk 4.4) which I guess is a good thing?

Prior to weight loss I would have been 1 in 9259 so, all good things!

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I go for my jab on Saturday afternoon,my son going in after me as he is high risk as well. Glad everyone is doing well :)

Reactions: Pipp

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reply today from Cheshire and Merseyside NHS partnership. They state that they are targeting groups 5 and 6 at the moment, and are not offering vaccines to anyone in group 7+. The suggestion is that anyone I know who's in those groups and has been vaccinated must have a condition that qualifies them as group 6. But at least two people emphatically deny that they have any reason to consider themselves at risk.

They're supposedly getting through the group 6 invitations in the next 2 weeks, so if mine doesn't turn up within that time frame, I suppose I'll have to assume that I've slipped through the net.
Have you seen this website? If you download a weekly data spreadsheet it includes a report of the number of vaccinations by CCG which may, or may not, help.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen this website? If you download a weekly data spreadsheet it includes a report of the number of vaccinations by CCG which may, or may not, help.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/
Thanks.

I'd looked at the spreadsheets, but not the covering letters. The spreadsheets group everyone under 70 into the same category, so don't give a full picture of how JCVI cohorts are being prioritised out in the real world. The covering letter would indicate that we're on cohort 6 right now, and 7 to 9 should still be waiting.

The only logical explanation is that people who think they are cohorts 7 to 9 are actually being flagged as 6 by the system. Though a slightly more cynical one is that whoever's actually responsible for making the bookings (GP's surgeries etc) are doing their own thing, and drawing the names of over 50s (and carers or over 16s with health conditions) out of a big hat.

By Monday, it'll be a full week since my cohort 8 partner got their invitation. I don't resent them that for a minute, or indeed anyone who hasn't willfully cheated the system to get their appointment early, but it sparked a massive distrust in the system for me. I think if they told me now that I'd definitely be getting mine in 3 weeks, I'd be happy enough. It's the not knowing whether it's going to be days, weeks or months that's difficult to live with. As it stands, they're hoping to get through cohort 6 in the next 2 weeks. But I have so little trust in the system, that I wonder whether I'm even flagged as a 6.

I was much more relaxed about this until I saw what it did to a fit and healthy colleague over Christmas. He's 2 years younger than me, and it put him in hospital twice. He's now on blood thinners for the foreseeable future, due to clots in his lungs. Somewhat ironically, he's got his vaccination invitation through, too. Though due to still recovering from the virus itself, he's having to wait a few weeks before he can have it.

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Believe that my local surgery opened up appointments to multiple groups at the same time (at least 5 and 6). Makes sense to me to want to maximize use of vaccination slots.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Mrs BRS had her jab Friday night. It was the Astra Zeneca variety. Apart from a sore arm, now rapidly getting better, no issues at all.

Took 40 minutes in total, including the wait afterwards to check for any immediate untoward reactions.

I'm relieved as is she.

All the best.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm right in the middle of the Midlands and they are doing vaccinations at my own GPs just down the road. I haven't heard a single thing much like @Nicole T. I wouldn't mind so much at 59 & type 1, but I am also BAME and in a frontline job where social distancing is absolutely impossible! I'm hoping to hear something this coming week.

Reactions: Dudette1

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nicole T I am in tgeCheshire / Merseyside area and in Group 6 and had my Phizer jab at the local hospital yesterday. So far I haven't had any side effects except a slightly sore arm and some rather vivid dreams last night.