Covid vaccine

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Me and my son had the Oxford jab yesterday, I’m a bit tired but no raise in blood sugars, my son however was ill all night with aching body and feeling unwell, he has slept for hours and woke up feeling a lot better and back to his normal self.

Daisychain1

In the south here and haven’t heard anything yet either, also an unpaid carer, but thinking maybe it will take a couple of weeks to be called, and then heard that people in the lower groups have already had theirs? Weird? Must admit I am getting a bit worried now that it sounds like the lockdown is going to end quite quickly once the kids are back in school, mine in college, hoped we may of had time to let the vaccine bed in a little before fully opening up again, but it looks like group 6 can wait until 27th March to be vaccinated! It just sounds like Christmas all over again, let’s open for Easter! Fingers crossed though this time :)

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nicole T I am in tgeCheshire / Merseyside area and in Group 6 and had my Phizer jab at the local hospital yesterday. So far I haven't had any side effects except a slightly sore arm and some rather vivid dreams last night.
Out of interest, are you Cheshire or Merseyside? It seems that while the vaccinations are being run by "Cheshire and Merseyside Partnership", Merseyside is well ahead of Cheshire when it comes to actual roll-out. Of all the people I know in 7-9 who've got vaccinated early, none have been from Cheshire.

Still no offer of an appointment for me. I've just discovered that my son's back at school as of next week, which makes a mockery of me trying to shield. I've seen this put two people I know in hospital over the last couple of months: one a fellow diabetic of the same age, and one an otherwise healthy guy a couple of years younger than me. I'm not sure how close either came to death, but one is still taking blood thinners due to clots on his lungs.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got called for mine today, in Surrey.
Am in group 7 so was called by age, not by the fact I have diabetes t2

Buzzer81

I have booked mine for Wednesday morning. I have to say, I am feeling very anxious about it. I tend to avoid medicine if I can.... rarely ever take painkillers even when I have headaches etc. Didn’t react well with Metformin so stopped that. Also intake citalopram 20mg per day. My latest hba1c was 48 last week, so not too bad compared to a year ago when diagnosed with 91.

I take great comfort from the successful stories on here and hope I can join those ranks

Daisychain1

I’m the same, hate taking anything and had a bad reaction to metformin but since I am only soooooo many medications including injections for diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol but funnily still won’t take a headache tablet unless a migraine is taking hold, and I haven’t heard anything about my vaccination yet and must admit I am really nervous about having it, the needle! (even though I have to inject myself everyday lol) but am also excited about getting it, been a long road hasn’t it

Reactions: Buzzer81

Buzzer81

I’m the same, hate taking anything and had a bad reaction to metformin but since I am only soooooo many medications including injections for diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol but funnily still won’t take a headache tablet unless a migraine is taking hold, and I haven’t heard anything about my vaccination yet and must admit I am really nervous about having it, the needle! (even though I have to inject myself everyday lol) but am also excited about getting it, been a long road hasn’t it

It has been a long road for us all. Especially us diabetics. I feel so torn... I should be happy Kim getting the vaccine.... but instead I am so nervous. Hopefully it will go well and I won’t suffer any adverse reactions. I feel motivated by the stories shared on this thread which are encouraging. Even those who do feel ill only seem to feel ill for a short while.

Where are you based? Are you type 1? I would have thought you’d been messaged by now?

Daisychain1

Hampshire, Southern England, I’m type 2 and a carer for my disabled son, so hopefully I’ll hear soon, supposed to be before the end of March for our group 6 I think? just find it weird when you hear about people younger with no health problems already having theirs? But just have to think positive
That’s the brilliant thing about on here, you gain so much advise and knowledge, I’ve learnt more about diabetes and how to manage it by reading these boards than I have anywhere else

Reactions: Hopeful34

Lozthelush

Not sure if anyone has posted this so sorry if it has.
Has anyone had the vaccine? I’m not into all the conspiracy theories, I personally am worried because the vaccine hasn’t been out very long, with me been diabetic has it really been tested enough that they really know I won’t have a reaction or it won’t raise my big dangerously.
I’m lucky enough to be offered it and want to take it, just worried that if I ask doctor they will obviously tell me it’s for the best to take it. Sounds bad but I would feel better knowing ppl on here have had it and are fine or know of other diabetics that have had no issues, I know we are all different, and I know getting covid would be much worse, it’s just playing on my mind.

Diabetes 1 and I had the Oxford vaccine. Only a sore too arm for few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest, are you Cheshire or Merseyside? It seems that while the vaccinations are being run by "Cheshire and Merseyside Partnership", Merseyside is well ahead of Cheshire when it comes to actual roll-out. Of all the people I know in 7-9 who've got vaccinated early, none have been from Cheshire.

Still no offer of an appointment for me. I've just discovered that my son's back at school as of next week, which makes a mockery of me trying to shield. I've seen this put two people I know in hospital over the last couple of months: one a fellow diabetic of the same age, and one an otherwise healthy guy a couple of years younger than me. I'm not sure how close either came to death, but one is still taking blood thinners due to clots on his lungs.
Hi, sorry if I've misunderstood, but if you've had a shielding letter then your son can continue remote learning. We have a number of pupils who will continue isolating as members of their family (who they live with) are shielding in line with the government guidelines. Schools have to provide work to be completed remotely (as has always been the case). I think you need the official letter for it to be an authorised absence though, otherwise it is classed as school refusal.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry if I've misunderstood, but if you've had a shielding letter then your son can continue remote learning. We have a number of pupils who will continue isolating as members of their family (who they live with) are shielding in line with the government guidelines. Schools have to provide work to be completed remotely (as has always been the case). I think you need the official letter for it to be an authorised absence though, otherwise it is classed as school refusal.
I haven't had a shielding letter. I think that would have put me in cohort 4 rather than 6 anyway. But as diabetics, we are advised to be particularly careful to reduce the risk of infection.

My ex is being prioritised for the vaccine, due to receiving carer's allowance for our son. The crazy thing about that is that he's spent more of the last 12 months with me than at his supposed primary home. If I'm still not vaccinated (with 3 weeks to develop immunity) when he goes back to school, he's just going to have to go and live there until I have. He's not going to be happy about that.

Brummieboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure if anyone has posted this so sorry if it has.
Has anyone had the vaccine? I’m not into all the conspiracy theories, I personally am worried because the vaccine hasn’t been out very long, with me been diabetic has it really been tested enough that they really know I won’t have a reaction or it won’t raise my big dangerously.
I’m lucky enough to be offered it and want to take it, just worried that if I ask doctor they will obviously tell me it’s for the best to take it. Sounds bad but I would feel better knowing ppl on here have had it and are fine or know of other diabetics that have had no issues, I know we are all different, and I know getting covid would be much worse, it’s just playing on my mind.
Hi. I'm t2 on insulin. Had my first jab last Friday (Astra Zenica Oxford), no problems with sore arm, but felt generally out of sorts for the next couple of days, now back to normal

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I made this thread because I was also worried and I think it helped me go forward to have it, I was scared of having a reaction or my blood sugar raising, reading everyone’s stories definitely helped and I think it’s the best decision, I’m definitely glad I’ve had it. hope you guys that are feeling anxious, read these and puts you at ease and you hear about your vaccinations soon :)

Daisychain1

This is getting stranger and stranger, tonight I heard about 2 friends in their late 30s, no health conditions, perfectly healthy and both been invited for their jabs! Separate health centres, both in Hampshire! Starting to wonder if I’ve not been put on the list ;-) oh well back to waiting for the postman :)

Last edited:

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I made this thread because I was also worried and I think it helped me go forward to have it, I was scared of having a reaction or my blood sugar raising, reading everyone’s stories definitely helped and I think it’s the best decision, I’m definitely glad I’ve had it. hope you guys that are feeling anxious, read these and puts you at ease and you hear about your vaccinations soon :)

Glad it went well Dudette1..
I had my AZ jab yesterday morning (T2 no meds). I was fine until late afternoon and then I got really cold with a headache. I hadnt much appetite for dinner so, dog-tired, took myself off to bed wearing a jumper and down jacket with extra blankets over the quilt. Paracetamol didnt make a difference to the headache. I didnt get much sleep as my muscles ached horribly and randomly various joints felt like they were undergoing surgery without anaesthetic. Then I got hot. By morning only the headache and mild achiness remained, Improving as the day progresses. At least I now know I have a fully functional immune system :)

Buzzer81

So i had mine this morning at 9am but it was the Pfizer vaccine which surprised me! I was expecting Astrazenica.

Anyway, the process was incredibly smooth quick and Easy. The injection was over in seconds and I didn’t even know it had happened.

Five hours later and all I can report is the mildist of dead arms. I hope that will be it! I’ll update tomorrow. Good luck to all and thanks to those who shared their stories before me, it helped!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So i had mine this morning at 9am but it was the Pfizer vaccine which surprised me! I was expecting Astrazenica.

Anyway, the process was incredibly smooth quick and Easy. The injection was over in seconds and I didn’t even know it had happened.

Five hours later and all I can report is the mildist of dead arms. I hope that will be it! I’ll update tomorrow. Good luck to all and thanks to those who shared their stories before me, it helped!
Feeling so jealous of all of you. No sign of mine at all :arghh:

Reactions: Dudette1