AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh it's working now.

Thanks Brunneria, my place is really warm so I will try your method next time...

Can I ask what brand of milk you use?
Cheers

I've made this a few times now too, although I did have one batch go somewhat "off".

Like @Brunneria , I don't use any heat, I just leave it in a corner away from any breezes or draughts, and just cover it over with a tea towel. The batch that went wrong, I had clipped the top on, during gestation, as opposed to laying the top on the top of the container, but not rendering it airtight. With it sealed, it was almost like fermentation went into over drive.

When it comes to my concoction, I use a can of coco milk, a 250ml tetra pack of coconut cream, a couple of dessert spoonfuls of dried coconut milk, and about 50ml of natural live natural yoghurt.

I'm un-fussed which brand of coconut milk I use, although when I shop for it, I look for the highest fat content, and certainly not the Light version - ever. The powdered coconut milk just adds another layer of depth. The time it went wrong I had used a reserved portion of the previous batch. I have no idea if that also influenced it's outcome, but, I'll probably not do that any more.

In my best batches, I have found the upper part of the CoYo becomes very thick, and it sits over a layer of what looks like runny whey. As I wanted it thick, I found a turkey baster, expressed the air out of ti, prior to putting it in the container, and just expressed they whey off, without bothering the main event. I did that just before refrigeration.

Give it a whirl.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

So, this is all @Brunneria 's fault.

I've eaten my trial CoYo this morning at breakfast time and it was absolutely delicious, but outrageously expensive, per ml. At its level of deliciousness and texture, I can think of all sorts of applications. It's probably just as well MrB is away at the moment or I might have to consider hiding any subsequent supplies!

@Avocado Sevenfold ; have you tried these and/or tried to replicate it? I know you have worked your magic on loads of other stuff.

I'm currently looking on YouTube for videos/recipes, but wondered if anyone here had achieved a successful replication.
Hi AB :)

I have not tried it, but your thread has reminded me that I bought the ingredients a while ago and have not yet made it. Ooops! Will give it a go and let you know how it turns out. I will be using this recipe which is thickened with agar agar.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-dairyfree-coconut-yogurt-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-216358

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh it's working now.

Thanks Brunneria, my place is really warm so I will try your method next time...

Can I ask what brand of milk you use?
Cheers

Hi

I started off with the cheapest tinned coconut milk Tescos do. The results were ok. The latest batch was with the highest fat co milk tescos do. MUCH better!

My recipe (made in an easiyo yog tub which hold 1 litre) is 2 x 400ml tin of coconut milk, 4-6 heaped tablespoons of powdered coconut milk (helps to thicken it) and a couple of tablespoons of live yog as a starter culture.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The bought coyo is lush (esp the vanilla and choc ones - but they are ridiculously expensive. :( )

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria and @Avocado Sevenfold , I've been having a little experiment, giving up milk for a short while (It'll never last!), and have eaten Soya yoghurt for the last 10 days or so. This morning, coincidentally, I opened a new pot which is the Alpro coconut version, which tastes very much like both the CoYo and my home made, although not as thick as the CoYo. I think it was something like £1.35 for 500ml, so cheaper than the CoYo, but obviously soya, rather than coconut based.

For me, they all verge on the too sweet, especially for breakfast, but provided I don't mainline on them I'm fine.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made the coyo with great success.
2x tins coconut milk, left in fridge and just used the solidified cream that rose to the top.
1carton coconut cream
4 tablespoons Maggi coconut milk powder
1 small carton live bio yogurt
1 tablespoon ground almonds
Half teaspoon of caster sugar.

Warmed milk, cream, yogurt in microwave, no thermometer to check temp, but it was sort of blood heat. Whisked in the rest of the ingredients. The almonds and sugar were to feed the bacteria to encourage fermentation.
Placed in glass jars, with jar of hot water in thermos bag overnight. In fridge next day 24 hours later, thick, creamy delicious coyo. Around half the cost of shop bought stuff, and just as tasty.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone!
Thanks for your responses, I'm gonna source some ingredients tomorrow, like the coconut cream in the tetra pack. Might be a waitrose run me thinks.... I like the idea of just using a thermos bag.... gonna try that although I have 2 sachets of bio yoghurt starter so will use that. Will let you know how it goes

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I can slice my coyo with a knife :eek: Maybe less agar agar next time, plus will add some coconut milk powder next time for more flavour. Thanks for the suggestion.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can slice my coyo with a knife :eek: Maybe less agar agar next time, plus will add some coconut milk powder next time for more flavour. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lovely.

Where do you buy your agar? forgive me, I haven't looked it up, but if I didn't ask, somebody else would. Well, that's my excuse anyway. :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, this is all @Brunneria 's fault.

I've eaten my trial CoYo this morning at breakfast time and it was absolutely delicious, but outrageously expensive, per ml. At its level of deliciousness and texture, I can think of all sorts of applications. It's probably just as well MrB is away at the moment or I might have to consider hiding any subsequent supplies!

@Avocado Sevenfold ; have you tried these and/or tried to replicate it? I know you have worked your magic on loads of other stuff.

I'm currently looking on YouTube for videos/recipes, but wondered if anyone here had achieved a successful replication.

Yes CoYo is divine but expensive as yogurts go have not tried making my own though but think I will give it a go

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think I can add a few teaspoons of kefir instead of yoghurt?

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I made it!

I got two packets of KTC creamed coconut for 50p/200g (current offer at Sainsbury's), put them into a Le Creuset-type pot, added about a litre water, heated to dissolve the coconut, then added 1 sachet Dr Oetker Gelatine and, once it cooled down, 4 tablespoons of home made kefir. I left it in the pot, which retained the heat for a while. After 24 hours I put the yoghurt into a mason jar and into the fridge.

The whole lot cost me £1.40 maybe, and it set perfectly. It is not like coconut milk, but much fresher and so creamy! And it was easy!

Thanks x

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi

I started off with the cheapest tinned coconut milk Tescos do. The results were ok. The latest batch was with the highest fat co milk tescos do. MUCH better!

My recipe (made in an easiyo yog tub which hold 1 litre) is 2 x 400ml tin of coconut milk, 4-6 heaped tablespoons of powdered coconut milk (helps to thicken it) and a couple of tablespoons of live yog as a starter culture.
I didn't have much luck making coconut yogurt last year, but have now acquired an Easiyo yogurt making gizmo (1 litre capacity)

I have in stock for potential ingredients - two tins of coconut milk, a carton of almond milk, a carton of soya milk, probiotic tablets, agar agar and plain alpro soya yoghurt (don't know if it is live or not).

Could you please explain to me how to use the Easiyo? I really have no idea so if you could explain it in the style you would use to speak to a toddler, that would be ideal. Thanks in advance :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

Well, one of the weird things about co yog is that it doesnt need the same temp as milk yog.
Room temp is fine - but not cold room temp.
It will take 2-3 days.

Just mix your ingredients (dont know about using agar or alpro ( i used co milk tins, powdered co cream and either live cow yog as a starter, or an acidophilus capsule)

Mix well.

Leave top ajar (so air can enter and gases exit) on countertop.
Stir and taste daily until it has yogified.

All very casual (which i like)

This vid shows just how easy it is.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well, one of the weird things about co yog is that it doesnt need the same temp as milk yog.
Room temp is fine - but not cold room temp.
It will take 2-3 days.

Just mix your ingredients (dont know about using agar or alpro ( i used co milk tins, powdered co cream and either live cow yog as a starter, or an acidophilus capsule)

Mix well.

Leave top ajar (so air can enter and gases exit) on countertop.
Stir and taste daily until it has yogified.

All very casual (which i like)

This vid shows just how easy it is.
Thanks, missus :) That looks easy enough! The lady in the video says to use tins containing only coconut and water, but mine have only 60% coconut and the rest is stabilisers and junk. Do you think this would matter or can you recommend a better brand?

I love the way she thinks putting it outside will keep it warm :coldfeet: Off to try it. Will report back in a few days, all being well.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Brunneria What a fail :bag: I started off two lots on Sunday. One in an ajar kilner jar and one in the easiyo. One day on the worktop and a couple of days in the fridge. Still runny!

Maybe the coconut milk was too rubbishy in quality. Maybe the probiotic tablets were too old (though still in date). I will keep trying though.