Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
A year ago had a cpeptide test to try and clarify a T1 or T2 diagnosis

The results came back at 600 and my consultant said I was T2... I asked about stopping insulin and she said that may be possible

Friday I saw my DVLA consultant and spoke to him and he said no chance at 600 that is so little it can't happen.. he said at 600 he would give a T1 diagnosis as a T2 should have well over 1000 for a c-pep test.

Any one know much about c-pep and the results

What should I say to my current consultant? Should I be pushing for a T1 diagnosis?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What should I say to my current consultant? Should I be pushing for a T1 diagnosis?

I think I'd be pushing for a second c peptide test.... If it's T1/LADA I'd expect your levels to go down.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
A year ago had a cpeptide test to try and clarify a T1 or T2 diagnosis

The results came back at 600 and my consultant said I was T2... I asked about stopping insulin and she said that may be possible

Friday I saw my DVLA consultant and spoke to him and he said no chance at 600 that is so little it can't happen.. he said at 600 he would give a T1 diagnosis as a T2 should have well over 1000 for a c-pep test.

Any one know much about c-pep and the results

I had my c peptide done and I think my level was 400? I am now treated as T1 despite being antibody negative. I think they come to this conclusion as I was only 26, healthy weight and had lost a stone in 3 weeks prior to my diagnosis.

I would push for a second c peptide!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Spoke to a geneticist today who's is going to do another cpep. And depending on the results do genetic testing to get a true type

I am antibody negative healthy weight.. lose weight fas without insulin..

I'm treated as a type 1... but my official diagnosis on my medical records is type2
I had my c peptide done and I think my level was 400? I am now treated as T1 despite being antibody negative. I think they come to this conclusion as I was only 26, healthy weight and had lost a stone in 3 weeks prior to my diagnosis.

I would push for a second c peptide!

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Spoke to a geneticist today who's is going to do another cpep. And depending on the results do genetic testing to get a true type

I am antibody negative healthy weight.. lose weight fas without insulin..

I'm treated as a type 1... but my official diagnosis on my medical records is type2

That’s strange - are you on insulin already?

I think my official diagnosis is ‘insulin dependant diabetic’ so now for ease I just say T1!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ah yes been on insulin for 9 years. But still been told I'm T2

I need a conclusive T1 or T2 diagnosis

If type 2 then my plans is to withdraw insulin treatment if T1 this obviously isn't possible

But as I said 1 consultant says type 2, another says with low insulin production I'm T1 or some other variant of it ie lada or mody

That’s strange - are you on insulin already?

I think my official diagnosis is ‘insulin dependant diabetic’ so now for ease I just say T1!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just for my information what units are you using? I've had three c-peptide test and they've gone from 1.7 ng/mL to 2.4 ng/mL and back to 1.7 ng/mL. In my case the reference range is 0.8-3.1 ng/mL (or 0.26-1.03 nmol/L), so I'm in range but lower down. I've had my tests done privately, do the NHS use different units. Very confusing!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
As a follow up to this.. I had a new c-pep test done by a genetic diabetes consultant and the level had dropped from 629 to 60

Which she said is very low, and she has recategorised me as a type 1 so definitely no getting Off insulin for me