Crackers and cake drive monthly food price fall

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or fresh fruit and veg.

Oooops. Am I allowed to mention fruit on the low carb sub forum?
Fruit is the work of the devil!! Oh hang on, avocado is a fruit... I do eat that! I would eat fruit if I could depend on myself not to get triggered by the sweetness. For now, it's (for me) off the menu while I get settled into low carb. I talk as though I really will make it, but it's highly likely I'll lapse at some point - still living in hope though.

Edited to add... I use lime juice too! But that's in a vinegar/olive oil dressing so not sweet.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Or fresh fruit and veg.

Oooops. Am I allowed to mention fruit on the low carb sub forum?
Why not, the whole thread is off topic seeing as it not about low carb or diabetes? Especially now the title of the article seems to have been changed to "Interest rates won't fall due to 4% inflation, says Bank boss"

• Informative
Reactions: Annb

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not, the whole thread is off topic seeing as it not about low carb or diabetes? Especially now the title of the article seems to have been changed to "Interest rates won't fall due to 4% inflation, says Bank boss"
:oops: Sorry about the off topic thread - I didn't change the thread title though, it's the link that has that title.

• Friendly
  • Hug
Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
:oops: Sorry about the off topic thread - I didn't change the thread title though, it's the link that has that title.
Except the article in the link has now a changed title, that's what I meant!
Try your own link and see. ;)

Reactions: jpscloud

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
After reading article, I have been left wondering - what is "cooking sauce"?!

• Agree

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just realised my eyeroll at the crackers and cake popularity might have looked odd, and "wondering" why couldn't it be grass fed beef - bit clumsy of me. I meant that as consumers we're pushed towards foods that are really bad for us and full of ****. The food industry has a long way to go before it resembles anything that we can trust to support nutritional health rather than drive us to toxic and addictive food-like substances!

So food price falls in crackers and cake (and cooking sauces!) are nothing to celebrate in my view.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Absolutely! And interesting that I needed to have an apparent food item described/explained to me, to understand what it was.

I do use wheat-free what could be called cooking sauces - coconut aminos seasoning sauce, and tamari soy subsitute sauce. Don't go anywhere I am cooking without them! I've just never called them cooking sauces. One lives and learns!

• Agree

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely! And interesting that I needed to have an apparent food item described/explained to me, to understand what it was.

I do use wheat-free what could be called cooking sauces - coconut aminos seasoning sauce, and tamari soy subsitute sauce. Don't go anywhere I am cooking without them! I've just never called them cooking sauces. One lives and learns!
These come in jars or dry packs, used as a complete replacement for seasonings and real food flavourings, really popular here in the uk - you would recoil in horror at the ingredients lists!

Edit - I was a heavy user of the packet sauces to make savoury mince etc. - I think they are mildly addictive as I still miss that flavour. When low carbing with intermittent fasting, though, I find I don't need such strong flavourings and a bit of nutritional yeast works well as seasoning.

Reactions: LivingLightly

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Me too, @jpscloud - I used to use the packeted Maggie flavourings, and felt very sad post diagnosis that I had to learn to season food myself (horrors!) due to the, as you say, ghastly ingredients list! And what long lists indeed!

I have made peace with the new cooking-heaps me. And have come to love my well functioning kitchen. (And how efficiently I can get other kitchens I am living and working in to function well for me.) I use lots of herbs and spices, and enjoy the flavours. But yeah - to come to cooking savoury food so late in life I need lots of help with cook books and online recipes, and herbs and spice consult charts.

How I deal with the high cost of food, is ' just' see it as my priority expense for as good health as I can get. In terms of buying the food that posters above refer to with sadness that there aren't enough governmental levels protections on its costs, protecting the producers and suppliers and certainly not the consumers - meat, poultry, fish and seafood, vegetables (and fruit). Dairy, and cooking oils like olive oil. Real food, in other words. (Flours for baking too of course. Almond flour for LCHF baking is not cheap. And I use konjac root products for substitute rice and pasta - my spiraliser remains in the drawer mostly I'm sorry to say!)

Yeah - the cost of food, and for what food, is a subject very close to our hearts if one has a disease where food - well - 'diet and exercise' - is literally stated as the number one treatment method.

• Agree