Cramp in legs after LCHF diet ?

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to info on this forum I have been following LCHF diet for 8 months. I have lost 10kg and reduced my HbA1c so I am very grateful that I found this site. I feel really great but have regularly been getting cramps in my calves and feet after waking in the morning. Can this be diet related ? Has anyone a similar experience ? Any advice would be appreciated.
I am absolutely delighted with the results on LCHF, it certainly works for me although convincing my French GP is a battle !

Reactions: Indy51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be you need to add salt. Maybe magnesium or potassium. Other possibilities could be CoQ10 and/or Vitamin K2.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
are you still taking the statins?.. just asking... you might want to read up on the some of the side effects..

Reactions: Hwad

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you still taking the statins?.. just asking... you might want to read up on the some of the side effects..
Thanks for reply, stopped taking statins in Feb at the same time as starting LCHF But had been taking them for at least 10 years before that with no such side effects

Reactions: ickihun

lindisfel

Expert
Ask your G.P to do a blood test on your U&E's then you will know if your electrolytes are out of balance. regards D.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Phinney and Volek's new The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance suggest a mineral deficiency such as magnesium. I take a daily multivitamin and also a daily stock cube (not lo salt) to avoid this problem. give it a try.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for reply, stopped taking statins in Feb at the same time as starting LCHF But had been taking them for at least 10 years before that with no such side effects

Phew.. maybe update your profile?
Maybe low salt then as @Indy51 suggested -if you are very low carb (ketogenic) then some extra salt is recommended. At least that's what I have been reading.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes get cramp and with me the reason is dehydration .. make sure you drink plenty of fluid. Have a glass of water at night and another by the bed . It also helps when I have cramp to quickly down a full glass.

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes get cramp and with me the reason is dehydration .. make sure you drink plenty of fluid. Have a glass of water at night and another by the bed . It also helps when I have cramp to quickly down a full glass.
Ok thnx daisyduck

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phinney and Volek's new The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance suggest a mineral deficiency such as magnesium. I take a daily multivitamin and also a daily stock cube (not lo salt) to avoid this problem. give it a try.
Will do many thanks

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for all the replies, I have increased my salt intake and it does appear to be working, no cramp for a week! Grateful thanks

Reactions: Indy51

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get "get me out of bed as quickly as possible" cramps after a slight stretch of legs...
had some Centrum +50 pills and they really did help, not had one since, +6weeks, so likely to by mineral deficiency, not sure which one, I do take a lot of salt with my food.
Wish you well

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Before lchf I always thought cramps were due to dehydration which included salts but a sports trainer told me potassium prevents cramps too.

I hope this helps
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20721159,00.html

I'm pleased salt worked for you @tonyo49
Potassium is good for heart health and high blood pressure. So I've seen on-line.
Has your blood pressure stayed unchanged by adding salt to cure your cramps? I'm just being curious, no more.

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @hankjam, will bear that in mind. Thanks for the link @ickihun, yes blood pressure steady at the moment but it's early days for the salt increase

Last edited:
Reactions: hankjam