Cured.

Desert Diva

I tried a rich cream-laden seafood tagliatelle in the interest of science...1/3 of a small bowl and 2hr pp was 7.5.... So sadly that's a no-no..:(..maybe if I'd had a large glass of wine it may have helped ....;)

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
No it doesn't mean this at all.... You aren't used to carbs so you will spike... Read my thread about increasing carb levels where I have been experimenting. Oh by the way nothing wrong with 8.1 as a spike and the fat in the burger slows down the spike so it isnt at 1 hour. The one hour/two hour timings only seem to work on high GL carbs without soluble fats. For example when I eat pie and chips I find it is a peak between 2 and 3 hours.
At what level does a spike do damage? My spikes are usually 75-90 minutes after

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At what level does a spike do damage? My spikes are usually 75-90 minutes after

It all depends on the level the spike reaches, how long the spike stays at those levels, and how often this happens, not when the spike occurs.

Most non diabetics hit their peak at about an hour, then back to nearly at base after 2 hours.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
It all depends on the level the spike reaches, how long the spike stays at those levels, and how often this happens, not when the spike occurs.

Most non diabetics hit their peak at about an hour, then back to nearly at base after 2 hours.
Sorry I was not very clear there. It was the level of the spike I was asking about. The time thing was relating to something in the previous post.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I was not very clear there. It was the level of the spike I was asking about. The time thing was relating to something in the previous post.

I am not sure. Someone else will have a better idea. I believe doctors are inconsistent in what they say! No surprise there then. 7.8 seems to be the magic figure that non-diabetics are liable to reach after 1 hour so I guess that must be reasonably "safe". However, please don't take my word for it.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if I'm being too harsh. I get upset if I reach 6 after a meal. I try to limit my carbs to a max of 20 carbs per meal. 25 at the most. I suppose I could afford to have more, but I'm happy with the amount I eat and I really don't see the need to raise it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have tested my wife several times and have got her in the low 8's after a heavy carb meal. With margin for error that could be 7.8 of course.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Normal is 7.8 or thereabouts, after 1 hour. What is not normal is for it to stay at that sort of level by 2 hours.
Life is a little more complicated that a hard and fast rule like that. All depends on what was eaten, how long you spread the food over, and a host of other factors. That is why they do OGTT in a very controlled way and not just get you to test after food and of course after fasting so you don't have protein decomposition etc. Oh if only it was as simple as peak at one hour, below x at 2; although that is a good target after you factor in the meal. That is why it is said to test, test and test again and compare the same meal several times.

An example of this is ice cream for me. I see nothing at 1 and 2 hours! A peak at 3 and back to normal after that

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Life is a little more complicated that a hard and fast rule like that. All depends on what was eaten, how long you spread the food over, and a host of other factors. That is why they do OGTT in a very controlled way and not just get you to test after food and of course after fasting so you don't have protein decomposition etc. Oh if only it was as simple as peak at one hour, below x at 2; although that is a good target after you factor in the meal. That is why it is said to test, test and test again and compare the same meal several times.

An example of this is ice cream for me. I see nothing at 1 and 2 hours! A peak at 3 and back to normal after that
You would need to have a meal of just ice cream to know that. Don't fancy that much.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal is 7.8 or thereabouts, after 1 hour. What is not normal is for it to stay at that sort of level by 2 hours.
Aah ok thanks. I read all the figures when I was first diagnosed in November but it's all a blurr now lol. I just know I don't want my levels to riseuch and so I keep the carbs low. I would have been very worried to get a 7.8. Thanks again. :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yep tested it when I first saw the wierdness. It is the fat and cold gives it a double slowdown (was told on diabetes course that ice cream was low GI but actually it is delayed medium to high GI a bit like pizza). The carb in peanuts also seem to peak between 3 and 4 hours for me with the proteins much later.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can't remember the last time I had ice cream. When I go to İstanbul in August I may have one :)

30 minutes ago for me; just one scoop of Amaretto flavour with a handful of extra hazelnuts. Now I will have to exercise it off or I will be 13 stone and 2 lbs in the morning :facepalm:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
yep tested it when I first saw the wierdness. It is the fat and cold gives it a double slowdown (was told on diabetes course that ice cream was low GI but actually it is delayed medium to high GI a bit like pizza). The carb in peanuts also seem to peak between 3 and 4 hours for me with the proteins much later.
I don't think I have had anything peak beyond two and a half hours.