Curious!

EmmRoseTat

Hey,
I'm a typical 18 year old girl, like to go drinking a fair bit and all the rest. When I go out I'm never the type that gets stupidly drunk but I do like to drink a bit. Now just over a week ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Such a shock to the system! I'm now on nova rapid insulin before I eat and lantus before I sleep.
My birthday is next weekend so clearly I'm going to want to drink, I know I'm going to talk to my diabetic nurse but I wanted to get some advice off here. Like when do I take my long acting insulin? Before I go out at the usual time I take it or when I get in, which could be 5am?
And alcohol. Any tips on what to drink, what not to drink. What to mix what with.

So confused! Wishing I could be a regular teen right about now!
Any and all advice would be appreciated!

And I know drinking and going out isnt the best thing! :|

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Rellish

Hi, I'm 20 years old and at uni, I drink a fair amount also, the main thing id say to you is keep your night time injection the same. Make sure you don't drink sugary alcohol.. Such as alchopops, non diet mixers, I normally hve vodka ad diet coke. I also would advice to ear a carb snack before bed with no injection as alcohol can make you have bad hypos in the night- which you don't want. Just try and drink lots of water all night, also check your blood before bed incase your hypo and not realising! Good luck!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Avoid beer and anything sugary. Have diet mixers with spirits. Dry white is also good. You must take your meter with you and test frequently. Always carry a source of fast acting glucose such as dextro tablets. Have some dextro if in the 4s or 5s as a drop in levels can come on fairly quickly and can be easily missed once you're tipsy.

As rellish said, make sure you have your Lantus on time.

You will need less Novorapid for the morning after because your liver will be concentrating on removing alcohol from your system rather than converting carbs to glucose. I give myself 1 u less for my morning injection. If you were in a right state the night before, consider 2 u less. Test frequently the day after so you don't miss any hypos.

Please follow this advice. I was a year older than you when diagnosed, I didn't recognise a hypo after having a load to drink and ended up having a fit the day after.

Have a good night!

pavmas

I think you are playing Russian roulette. Diabetes and drink don't mix and anyone who thinks they do are kidding themselves. There is a thread at the top of the list " Diabetes Does' Kill" you should read that.

Since I became a type 1 in 2008 I have never touched a drop.

In 1976 I was in the Western Infirmary in Glasgow as I had an accident with my eye, I was in for about 9 weeks, I got to know this outpaitent who was a 19 year old diabetic who just could not help but join in with his mates in downing a few lagers.

The doctors told him he will lose his sight if he did not stop drinking instantly.

Whilst I was talking to him he said my eyes are really bad and blurry and I will stop and they told me my eyes sight may get better but wont get any worse.

He said he was just going to have one last bevvy with the lads and then stop.

Well the next day a Sat morning I was woken by this commotion ( it was a funny set up the clinic was at the bottom of the ward where I was sleeping) Anyway the noise was this young 19 year old crying shouting you must be able to do something.

He had went out as planned got drunk and woke up totally blind and had come in to hospital, the staff told him there was nothing they could do and he would need to come back on Monday as and gave him an appointment.

When I got type 1 this brought back memories and I am terrified to drink as that accident in 1976 left me blind in my right eye and no way will I risk the sight in my other eye.

When people think of drink and type 1 they think of going into a coma or something if their sugar levels drop in sleep where I think of the eye damage high sugar drinks do.

I know many say stick to the right drink and you should be ok.

But if you are anything like I was when I was young and had a few then you would say 2 stuff this diabetes I can beat this so pass me that cake and drink, I thought I was invincible as many young people do.
But we are Type 1 diabetics and not invincible, I believe its madness to drink myself,

That's only my opinion and from what I have saw first hand, people have to decide what is right for them.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
pavmas said:
I think you are playing Russian roulette. Diabetes and drink don't mix and anyone who thinks they do are kidding themselves.

I think this is a little harsh. I have 2 friends and a cousin who are also T1 diabetic. They, like me and many others, are RESPONSIBLE when drinking. If you are wise to the possible effects. They're more experienced than I am and so do drink more than I will, but we all test regularly, make sensible drink choices and most importantly know when to stop!

Emma has proven since the day she was diagnosed that she is sensible and has handled her diabetes well so far. I see no reason to scare her into not having a drink, provided its all within reason. She's going to be 19 and so the drinking will happen regardless when she goes to uni. Surely it's more helpful to guide her towards wise choices and give advice rather than say "don't do it ever"

Emma - one suggestion I have (and you may not like!) is let your mum know when you're home, what your BG was and what you've eaten recently. I do this with my boyfriend because, although I've not gotten hammered and made a poor choice, it's nice to have 100% sober opinion on whether I'm ok. So far so good for me. Plus your mum will want to be reassured you're home safe anyway ;)

As long as your friends are also aware, go out and enjoy yourself! Watch out for dancing as that's exercise and may lower your BG - not a good combo with alcohol already lowering it, make sure you have those dextrose. Otherwise just enjoy yourself :)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I usually stick to gin and tonic, as there's virtually no nutritional values so nothing to worry about :lol:

Scardoc

Hhmmmmm.... I think the never drink message is harsh but I subscribe to sticking to very small amounts. I am lucky in that I have always been a lightweight when it comes to alcohol but since being diagnosed T1 five years ago I have never drank more than half a bottle of wine in a night or 3 pints of lager.

The one thing I do think is that a T1 diabetic has to realise that some things have to be sacrificed. Why go out and drink a lot and run the risk? Regardless of how much alcohol a person can handle you are putting yourself at risk. At a social event at a doctors surgery I stopped drinking after 4 330ml bottles of beer. A friend was trying to get me to try some wine and as I refused he grabbed one of the doctors and said "go on, tell him it's fine". The doc asked me what I'd had and when I said 4 bottles he said that was more than enough. I know a few younger people who drink frequently and have "big nights", none of them have good BG control and two have fallen into a diabetic coma as a result of alcohol.

I think a diabetic who doesn't care and drinks is an early grave waiting to happen. A diabetic who drinks a lot and manages to keep safe levels is running a high risk. This is my opinion.

It is tragic that someone of 18 has T1 and has to allow for it, when all their friends can do as they please. I really feel for them. However, you have to play the long game and accept you are different and that you can be in control. A lot of people are even worse off than us T1's.

Scardoc

I also meant to add to the OP - you've only been diabetic for a week so you really should be ultra cautious! You'll have many more birthdays!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Scardoc said:
Hhmmmmm.... I think the never drink message is harsh but I subscribe to sticking to very small amounts. I am lucky in that I have always been a lightweight when it comes to alcohol but since being diagnosed T1 five years ago I have never drank more than half a bottle of wine in a night or 3 pints of lager.

The one thing I do think is that a T1 diabetic has to realise that some things have to be sacrificed. Why go out and drink a lot and run the risk? Regardless of how much alcohol a person can handle you are putting yourself at risk. At a social event at a doctors surgery I stopped drinking after 4 330ml bottles of beer. A friend was trying to get me to try some wine and as I refused he grabbed one of the doctors and said "go on, tell him it's fine". The doc asked me what I'd had and when I said 4 bottles he said that was more than enough. I know a few younger people who drink frequently and have "big nights", none of them have good BG control and two have fallen into a diabetic coma as a result of alcohol.

I think a diabetic who doesn't care and drinks is an early grave waiting to happen. A diabetic who drinks a lot and manages to keep safe levels is running a high risk. This is my opinion.

It is tragic that someone of 18 has T1 and has to allow for it, when all their friends can do as they please. I really feel for them. However, you have to play the long game and accept you are different and that you can be in control. A lot of people are even worse off than us T1's.

I agree whole heartedly with this. Goes back to the old saying "everything in moderation" :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep.. Hale710 right there. Everything in moderation.

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
This is from the Diabetes UK very useful guide to diabetes ...

An introduction to carbohydrate counting and insulin dose adjustment
See Chapter 6 regarding Alcohol
https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/store/lite ... -book.aspx

How can I avoid alcoholrelated hypos?
There are a few general rules to help prevent hypos when drinking alcohol:
• Avoid drinking on an empty stomach.
• Eat carbohydrate containing snacks especially before bed, without taking any extra bolus insulin.
• Have some extra carbohydrate the following morning or reduce bolus insulin.
• Monitor your blood glucose levels closely.
• Carry hypo treatment with you at all times.
• Take your diabetes identification out with you in case of a hypo.
• Make sure that the people you are with know that you have diabetes and how alcohol affects your blood glucose levels.

So you CAN drink (responsibly) but follow these guide line. Have a nice night out ...

JontyW

EmmRoseTat

Thanks guys for all the advice :) my nurse said as long as I alternate full sugar and diet mixers and drink in moderation then it will be fine.

However I forgot to ask about cider? Whats the affects of that?!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EmmRoseTat said:
Thanks guys for all the advice :) my nurse said as long as I alternate full sugar and diet mixers and drink in moderation then it will be fine.

However I forgot to ask about cider? Whats the affects of that?!

Cider is high in carbohydrate so I've not passed judgement on that one yet. I think of you had one or 2 it would be ok as it is essentially a non-diet drink, but I imagine avoidance is probably easiest. Not easy with the warm weather coming on! I'm going to struggle there :(

1505helen

Ok so I'm crashing this thread and many will think I shouldn't (especially as I said I would stick to the parent's section - sorry Emma!)
The type 1 diagnosis is scary enough but although I know it's well meaning I think the post about never drinking is a bit harsh, and yes I do understand how serious this can all be, believe me I've done plenty of reading in the last week.

It's her birthday she will go out and have a few drinks but she's planning it carefully and researching the possible effects which is more than most 19 year olds will do before they go out and get wrecked on a Saturday night!

I can't stop her going out so I'm glad she can come on here and seek advice from others in the same situation.

Hale I like your advice to let me know when she gets in and you're right I won't sleep till she's safely tucked up in bed :)
Anyone got any tips on what I should do when she does get home?

Helen

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
1505Helen, when she gets home, just make sure she tests her blood sugar levels ! Alcohol can cause a drop in levels so she may need a snack. I agree, there's no harm in the odd night out. Hope she has a lovely evening ;-)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EmmRoseTat said:
Oh mother -_-

Haha busted! Now she's seen all the advice she can feed back to us on whether you listened to it or not ;)

I'm just lucky my mother can barely switch a pc on, never mind use a forum!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a type one for 27 years and diagnosed whilst in my early twenties while working in the City I developed my own rules about what I would and couldn't drink that worked for me. Basically dry white wine, red wine, champagne if dry, gin and slim line tonic. No beer, lager, cider generally and no cocktails as they are too sweet although the odd dry martini got in occasionally. An occasional lager I allowed if sugar was on the low side. One pleasure was being given a Bacardi Breezer when I came back low sugared after a run in the summer, it restored my sugar quite quickly and I felt rather nice! The usual measures apply though after drinking which is test, test, test, especially the morning after when BS often lowers unexpectedly. I was always advised by the DN's not to drink low sugar lagers as the BS dropped too quickly which I seemed to have followed, probably as I'm not keen on lager.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jane, that sounds like exactly what I do. Another experienced diabetic drinker!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
JaneC said:
As a type one for 27 years and diagnosed whilst in my early twenties while working in the City I developed my own rules about what I would and couldn't drink that worked for me. Basically dry white wine, red wine, champagne if dry, gin and slim line tonic. No beer, lager, cider generally and no cocktails as they are too sweet although the odd dry martini got in occasionally. An occasional lager I allowed if sugar was on the low side. One pleasure was being given a Bacardi Breezer when I came back low sugared after a run in the summer, it restored my sugar quite quickly and I felt rather nice! The usual measures apply though after drinking which is test, test, test, especially the morning after when BS often lowers unexpectedly. I was always advised by the DN's not to drink low sugar lagers as the BS dropped too quickly which I seemed to have followed, probably as I'm not keen on lager.

These are great tips!

I'm going on holiday on Friday (yipeeeee!) - any tips for drinking in the sun? I've only just got to grips with it in the uk and I'm a little wary about being abroad where I've been told my control is going to go to pot anyway probably. Holidays to me don't mean getting drunk, it's more that it is slow, steady, drinking over the course of the day that I'm worried about. I'm going to be careful obviously, but I would like to enjoy myself too!