Curry

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read that Curries are not a great thing for anyone diabetic or prediabetic? I guess rice is an issue, any added sugar and possibly other additives too? However my question is more to do with cauliflower rice. Presumably we are talking about the white heads crushed or shredded down. I have googled the stuff and can see it can be bought at the supermarkets ready prepared.

How well does it work? I am not a great lover of cauliflower but in the past I would eat it with a roast where I just soak up the gravy with it. I am assuming that might work quite well with curries and other foods too?

Is there anything that can be done to enhance its taste?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Herbs and spices, butter and stir fry it.

Reactions: Listlad

Hotpepper20000

I have read that Curries are not a great thing for anyone diabetic or prediabetic? I guess rice is an issue, any added sugar and possibly other additives too? However my question is more to do with cauliflower rice. Presumably we are talking about the white heads crushed or shredded down. I have googled the stuff and can see it can be bought at the supermarkets ready prepared.

How well does it work? I am not a great lover of cauliflower but in the past I would eat it with a roast where I just soak up the gravy with it. I am assuming that might work quite well with curries and other foods too?

Is there anything that can be done to enhance its taste?
I sauté it with butter and any spices I have on hand.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I am not much of a cook but fill that role in the house these days so those suggestions are useful. Cheers.

I don’t think my wife will go for it as she is a bit of a rice connoiseur but those recipes might well solve a problem for me.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I work late on Thursday nights and cook my dinner at work, curry every night. Large piece of cod, mussels, prawns, aubergine, spinach, peas and coriander. Curry sauce is an onion, fresh ginger, 2 teaspoons Tesco med curry powder, 6 cloves garlic, tablespoon aubergine pickle, olive oil and water. Cooked in a frying pan, one plate... leftovers for lunch the next day at the weekly meeting. Pretty low carb and just great.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I work late on Thursday nights and cook my dinner at work, curry every night. Large piece of cod, mussels, prawns, aubergine, spinach, peas and coriander. Curry sauce is an onion, fresh ginger, 2 teaspoons Tesco med curry powder, 6 cloves garlic, tablespoon aubergine pickle, olive oil and water. Cooked in a frying pan, one plate... leftovers for lunch the next day at the weekly meeting. Pretty low carb and just great.
Thanks.

How do you manage to cook your dinner at work? Or do you simply take it in from home for that evening.

I will give that recipe a go. Probably not with fish though.

Reactions: jjraak

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

That sounds amazing. Definitely in the menu for next week!

D

Deleted member 308541

I cooked this chicken curry a while ago, going by the veggies up at the top it had a bag or two of mixed veggies in it. I can see cauliflower showing there.

I think I experimented with re-heated cooked rice with the curry to see how I went with that. No good. :meh:

xatbOVf.jpg

Reactions: Chook and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cooked this chicken curry a while ago, going by the veggies up at the top it had a bag or two of mixed veggies in it. I can see cauliflower showing there.

I think I experimented with re-heated cooked rice with the curry to see how I went with that. No good. :meh:

xatbOVf.jpg
Okay I see you use a slow cooker. We have one too. It has turned me from a really useless cook into something passable. :D

Reactions: Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice you use lots of garlic, @hankjam . How does that sit, diabetically speaking?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower rice is easy and a great carrier/filler.

I do mine, firstkly I blitz decent sized florets in thre food processor - I usually do it in batches or some becomes almost ground.
To cook, I use a hot wok and stir fry it, with whatever spices I fancy, including Pilau (rice) spices.

I also make a mean Pretendy Paella. I make a batch of cauli rice. Start by soaking a few saffron strands in an egg cup full of water for an undetermined "while". I then cook off the chicken, pork or whatever slightly longer cooking meats I have, with plenty garlic and paella spices. I then add the cauli rice and saffron and stir fry it to mix everything together, including the saffron water, then lastly chuck in any seafood I'm using - prawns, calimari or whatever.

It disappears fast in this house!

It also reheats well, although not usually required here!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower rice is easy and a great carrier/filler.

I do mine, firstkly I blitz decent sized florets in thre food processor - I usually do it in batches or some becomes almost ground.
To cook, I use a hot wok and stir fry it, with whatever spices I fancy, including Pilau (rice) spices.

I also make a mean Pretendy Paella. I make a batch of cauli rice. Start by soaking a few saffron strands in an egg cup full of water for an undetermined "while". I then cook off the chicken, pork or whatever slightly longer cooking meats I have, with plenty garlic and paella spices. I then add the cauli rice and saffron and stir fry it to mix everything together, including the saffron water, then lastly chuck in any seafood I'm using - prawns, calimari or whatever.

It disappears fast in this house!

It also reheats well, although not usually required here!

It seems it helps when you are a good cook.

Any thoughts on the garlic? Does it beef up the carbs content?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems it helps when you are a good cook.

Any thoughts on the garlic? Does it beef up the carbs content?

I ignore the carb count for the garlic. There's such a modest amount in there, in terms of carbs per 100gr weight.

If you're a bit nervy of garlic, but minced garlic or garlic paste (same thing, different name really) and star with half a teaspoonful, then increase next time you make it, if it's not quite enough.

The thing about how I make it is in the wok it's hard to go wrong, provided you keep the contents of the pan moving. Release your inner Ken Hom. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL.

I noticed Hankjam uses 6 cloves which made me wonder.

Even cloves doesn't weigh much. You need to just have a bit of an adventure and experiment.

Those of us who've been doing this a while didn't get everything right first, or probably even second time we tried it.