Curry

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the middle of the tropical cyclone season, so structural damage, flooding, no power or water are the most common ones.

Bush fires have been pretty bad in some areas near Bundaberg where people were told to get out while they could.

In both cases I have sufficient food and water to last us a week or so.
The last time we had a bad storm in the south of England was in 1987, but I might need an emergency box for Brexit.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The last time we had a bad storm in the south of England was in 1987, but I might need an emergency box for Brexit.
Rated your post as funny but many a true word spoken in jest. :)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
To be honest, derry I'm totally unfussed about bread. I could happily never eat it again, and to be honest, since having to go gluten-free I'm even less fussed.

I'm pretty certain I haven't had more than a handful of slices of toast or the Lidl protein rolls since I was diagnosed. The exception being the slice of toast I ate to get home after day surgery. I decided it was easier than arguing at the time.
It's not bread, it is cheese and Almond Flour. Nuts blitzed up so that the Almonds are fine. So basically cheese and nuts

Reactions: Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not bread, it is cheese and Almond Flour. Nuts blitzed up so that the Almonds are fine. So basically cheese and nuts

Apologies if I confused things, but I thik what I'm saying is I'm quite happy to just have my curry in a bowl, or if I feel like it, cauli rice.

As a whole, I haven't gone for substitutes, like keto bread or baking or celeriac roast "potatoes".

Please don't think I think anyone who does find something that becomes a bit like x, y or z isn't doing it right or anything. It's just me.

Likewise, since I went gluten free, I haven't tried GF pasta, bread or any of the other GF manufatured stuff. The exceptions to that are GF Soy Sauce and GF Worcestershire sauce because the former is convenient for a quick stir fry (though lime and chilli is my fave) and Worcestershire sauce, because my OH likes it as an ingredient in some things.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, although most could think otherwise. :)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Apologies if I confused things, but I thik what I'm saying is I'm quite happy to just have my curry in a bowl, or if I feel like it, cauli rice.

As a whole, I haven't gone for substitutes, like keto bread or baking or celeriac roast "potatoes".

Please don't think I think anyone who does find something that becomes a bit like x, y or z isn't doing it right or anything. It's just me.

Likewise, since I went gluten free, I haven't tried GF pasta, bread or any of the other GF manufatured stuff. The exceptions to that are GF Soy Sauce and GF Worcestershire sauce because the former is convenient for a quick stir fry (though lime and chilli is my fave) and Worcestershire sauce, because my OH likes it as an ingredient in some things.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, although most could think otherwise. :)
Oh I understand. You just want to keep it simple. To be honest I do as a rule. I have baked fathead dough sausage rolls (Nuts and Cheese Dough) as lovely as it is. I have only made this twice in nearly 2 years of doing low carb. I made a fathead dough naan bread for my hubby when I cooked a curry. Thought I would cut his carbs a little. I did not have any but had a taste. It was lovely. I am the same. I will have a curry with veg. So really I don't do the fathead dough that often. I have to be in the mood lol. I do have Celeriac roasted now and then, as they are low carb and does not spike me. They taste like parsnips when roasted. If I do Shephard pie I mash cauliflower and broccoli together with cheese, double cream, garlic and pepper. I use this as the topping, then top with grated cheese for a crispy crust. I do not miss potato at all. Strange mashed cauliflower and broccoli feels like I am being naughty as it is as satisfying as mashed potatoes and filling. Comfort food

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I use a mixture of celeriac and Swede with butter and a hint of garlic to make the topping for shepherds or cottage pie (with some grated cheese on the top) and then, to the same celeriac and Swede mixture, I add mashed Brussels sprouts to make bubble & squeak. I keep a lot of it in the freezer (pre-cooked and mashed frozen in portions).

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a mixture of celeriac and Swede with butter and a hint of garlic to make the topping for shepherds or cottage pie (with some grated cheese on the top) and then, to the same celeriac and Swede mixture, I add mashed Brussels sprouts to make bubble & squeak. I keep a lot of it in the freezer (pre-cooked and mashed frozen in portions).
Shepherds pie with swede topping is one of my favourites, my wife makes individual ones as she still prefers potato on her's.

Pie2.jpg

I will try the swede and celeriac mixture - what ratio do you use?

Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I understand. You just want to keep it simple. To be honest I do as a rule. I have baked fathead dough sausage rolls (Nuts and Cheese Dough) as lovely as it is. I have only made this twice in nearly 2 years of doing low carb. I made a fathead dough naan bread for my hubby when I cooked a curry. Thought I would cut his carbs a little. I did not have any but had a taste. It was lovely. I am the same. I will have a curry with veg. So really I don't do the fathead dough that often. I have to be in the mood lol. I do have Celeriac roasted now and then, as they are low carb and does not spike me. They taste like parsnips when roasted. If I do Shephard pie I mash cauliflower and broccoli together with cheese, double cream, garlic and pepper. I use this as the topping, then top with grated cheese for a crispy crust. I do not miss potato at all. Strange mashed cauliflower and broccoli feels like I am being naughty as it is as satisfying as mashed potatoes and filling. Comfort food
Some great ideas you are pinging about here. What did your hubby think of the naan bread?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Shepherds pie with swede topping is one of my favourites, my wife makes individual ones as she still prefers potato on her's.

View attachment 30953

I will try the swede and celeriac mixture - what ratio do you use?

one good size celeriac to about half a good size swede. ( I'm definitely the kind of cook that uses 'handfuls' and 'dollops'.)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I managed to finally get hold of some cauliflower rice in Aldi. It seems to have been enhanced by some other vedges and comes in bags ready to cook. I will give it a go. No sign of the broccoli rice though unless I missed it.

“Mediterranean Inspired Cauliflower Rice”

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Heh, it wasn’t bad as a first attempt at a low carb curry and rice.

I just need to knock out some low carb Naan breads the next time.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it has helped me a lot.

Reactions: Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Listlad If your wife doesn't like the cauli/broccoli/green rices, you could try the 'slim' rice made from Konjac, it looks like rice but doesn't have any taste. Holland & Barrett sell a zero carb version. Asda do their own brand which has 8%g of carbs per 100 gms:

View attachment 30856

Had similar ...but it smelled...no really smelled...no, you don't understand..did I mention it REALLY SMELLED....like stinking fish .and tasted....rubbery

Kind of ''acceptable' once curry added, but makes me shudder what it does, once inside me..:***:..( yes, I'm a food wuss, now ....thank you DCUK :D )

So unlikely to be using again .

Cauliflower rice all the way :bookworm:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had similar ...but it smelled...no really smelled...no, you don't understand..did I mention it REALLY SMELLED....like stinking fish .and tasted....rubbery

Kind of ''acceptable' once curry added, but makes me shudder what it does, once inside me..:***:..( yes, I'm a food wuss, now ....thank you DCUK :D )

So unlikely to be using again .

Cauliflower rice all the way :bookworm:
I do agree with that. I tried it. :D

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The slim rice/noodles do smell smell fishy when you empty them from pack, but if you rinse under running water it takes away the smell.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
'Bad Storm'? I think a few roofs lost slates and a tree blew down(leading to Sevenoaks becoming SIxoaks)

I rode that one out under my shell LOL

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
'Bad Storm'? I think a few roofs lost slates and a tree blew down(leading to Sevenoaks becoming SIxoaks)

I rode that one out under my shell LOL
I remember that. The Michael Fish blooper.

Isn’t it One Oak now?