Curry

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know if the psyllium husk powder could be left out of the Diet Doctor flat bread I don't really know what it is as I have never had it but wondered if it is a vital ingredient I have Googled it and it seems to be used mostly for constipation so what happens if you are not constipated and put it in cooking does it have the same effect... ie lot's of trips to the toilet
In recipes that don't have the gluten from wheat flour or contain eggs, psyllium husk seems to work as a binder. I don't think you could leave it out of dough type recipes. My portion of the chapattis I mentioned only contains 8g of psyllium husk.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In recipes that don't have the gluten from wheat flour or contain eggs, psyllium husk seems to work as a binder. I don't think you could leave it out of dough type recipes. My portion of the chapattis I mentioned only contains 8g of psyllium husk.
Thank you I will get some

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I bother with a rice alternative it’s usually green beans or broccoli sort of stir fried with curry type spices. More often it’s just extra curry

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know if the psyllium husk powder could be left out of the Diet Doctor flat bread I don't really know what it is as I have never had it but wondered if it is a vital ingredient I have Googled it and it seems to be used mostly for constipation so what happens if you are not constipated and put it in cooking does it have the same effect... ie lot's of trips to the toilet
I’ve used it in small amounts (as per most recipes) without that effect. I add it too yogurt type things in small amounts (teaspoon or two) for fibre as it seems important. Can’t say I notice anything and if anything I’m inclined to more frequent urgent issues than constipation. It does seem important to bind recipes together however so I’ll stick with using it.

Reactions: Prem51

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well I am going to try and buy some broccoli rice tomorrow if I can or it might have to wait till I can get to a large Tesco or Asda. We have a smaller Morrison’s near by and an Aldi.

I think I will prefer the pre prepped broccoli as opposed to the cauliflower. I will buy ready prepped as I dont get much time to spend on preparing food to cook.
Aldi do a very nice broccoli rice about 90p if you are pressed for time, in the chilled veg bay next to cauli rice :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Called into Lidl on way home and have bought to try a korma for Mr. Z. @ 8g sugar, watch this space!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Well I am going to try and buy some broccoli rice tomorrow if I can or it might have to wait till I can get to a large Tesco or Asda. We have a smaller Morrison’s near by and an Aldi.

I think I will prefer the pre prepped broccoli as opposed to the cauliflower. I will buy ready prepped as I dont get much time to spend on preparing food to cook.
Yes sometime I will just have veg on the side with my curry

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Listlad, sometimes a new normal isn't such a bad thing.

Having got my condition into a good place, I can actually have some rice, but quite often just don't bother.

In the early days, there's lots of trial and error, so keep trying things out to find where you go for yourself. In this regard, your meter is by far your best friend. You're meter's feedback will give you a decent guide.
Find the recipe on YouTube for fathead dough..Make it, roll it out to a round shape, put into the oven. Halfway through cooking put some garlic butter on with chopped parsley..Great with curries.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Find the recipe on YouTube for fathead dough..Make it, roll it out to a round shape, put into the oven. Halfway through cooking put some garlic butter on with chopped parsley..Great with curries.
Thanks. I will give that a go. When I get a chance.

Was it yourself that mentioned mug cakes? I made a couple today with our little girl. I used conventional ingredients just to start off with. Got it right the second time. :)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks. I will give that a go. When I get a chance. Was it yourself that mentioned mug cakes?

I made a couple today with our little girl. I used conventional ingredients just to start off with. Got it right the second time. :)
Acutally go to YouTube and look up Keto Garlic Naan bread. Very easy to make

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have heard that Physilium Husk is good for you. Full of fibre. I have some in the cupboard not used it yet though. I am sure that there are recipe's on YouTube for Chipati's where you do not have to use Husk

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just bye the bye I made a keto corned beef hash with cauliflower rice for our dinner tonight everybody here seemed to enjoy it.

Reactions: Chook
D

Deleted member 308541

Just bye the bye I made a keto corned beef hash with cauliflower rice for our dinner tonight everybody here seemed to enjoy it.
We have not had that for years, we have some tins of corned beef in the emergency box. Might be time to rotate a tin out and knock up a hash for dinner.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I don’t think my wife will go for it as she is a bit of a rice connoiseur
My OH is annoyingly normal, healthwise, anyway. He gets his rice/spuds or whatever, and I get my low carb something, including cauliflower rice (often stir fried in my Tefal actifry) in butter or coconut oil. Would that be an idea for you and your wife?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH is annoyingly normal, healthwise, anyway. He gets his rice/spuds or whatever, and I get my low carb something, including cauliflower rice (often stir fried in my Tefal actifry) in butter or coconut oil. Would that be an idea for you and your wife?
At the moment we now have two forms of rice where rice is on the menu. Brown rice and white Jasmine rice. If I go for a vedge imitation I will try her on it but I suspect she will still prefer her beloved Jasmine Rice. So we will always have two lots of “rice” being rustled up at evening meal. So yes, probably a similar arrangement.

Reactions: briped

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

To be honest, derry I'm totally unfussed about bread. I could happily never eat it again, and to be honest, since having to go gluten-free I'm even less fussed.

I'm pretty certain I haven't had more than a handful of slices of toast or the Lidl protein rolls since I was diagnosed. The exception being the slice of toast I ate to get home after day surgery. I decided it was easier than arguing at the time.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have not had that for years, we have some tins of corned beef in the emergency box. Might be time to rotate a tin out and knock up a hash for dinner.
What sort of emergency are you expecting?

D

Deleted member 308541

What sort of emergency are you expecting?
It's the middle of the tropical cyclone season, so structural damage, flooding, no power or water are the most common ones.

Bush fires have been pretty bad in some areas near Bundaberg where people were told to get out while they could.

In both cases I have sufficient food and water to last us a week or so.