1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dammit, Lo-Dough!

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Hedonista, May 29, 2018.

1. Hedonista

Hedonista Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I bought some to see what it was like, ate it and decided it wasn't worth the money.
    Then when I ran out I kept thinking about tuna sandwiches and peanut butter on toast and bought some more, all the while thinking the texture is rubbish and it's massively over priced.
    Now I've ordered a regular delivery, because it's the cheapest way to buy it. I still think it's over priced and not at all like bread but I can't resist the joy of slapping lovely things between two slices of 'bread' and stuffing my face! So quick, so easy, such a brilliant way to eat butter!
    Anyone else fallen into the trap?!

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Sorry but nope.. best way to eat butter is... slice off piece of butter, sprinkle with Maldon sea salt, transport to mouth with fingers.
    Enjoy...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I prefer it between slices of cucumber. I ate 1/2lb of butter and a whole cucumber like this about age 3.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my opinion LivLife low carb bread is a much cheaper and better option - having said that I've stopped buying it as it triggered carb cravings in me and I ate too much of it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bulkbiker

can't do cucumber any more... gives me indigestion and smelly f***s

6. bulkbiker

Never bought the LiviLife but anything bread like has those triggers for me too..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hedonista

It's so unlike bread that it hasn't, so far, triggered any cravings in me - except for what I can put inside it!

8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I get HiLo bread for the occasional slice of toast. Much cheaper than Lo dough and just tastes like a ‘normal’ seeded loaf :hungry:
    5g carbs per small slice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I can’t keep bread (even LivLife) accessible, because I like it too much. Maybe give 90 second bread a try? 30g (2tbsp) almond flour/ground almonds, mixed in a rectangular plastic takeaway container with a beaten egg and plenty of salt and pepper and microwaved for 90 seconds. I usually toast it in a dry pan after it’s cooked to give it a bit of colour and crunch. One (very filling) slab is 3g carbs and keeps me going for hours.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hedonista

I love 90 second bread, and I do make it, but I don't find it good for sandwiches. At the moment I'm enjoying being able to load a slice with butter and goodies, fold it in half and eat it. The novelty will run it's course, I'm sure!

11. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I just had to go and make some 90 second bread now. Swines! Was delicious with some goat’s butter and Marmite :p

12. Hedonista

Mmmmm - my favourite is a lot of butter, then marmite, then peanut butter :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've bought this a few times as it's a lot cheaper than buying low carb bread mixes, and iit tastes fine but feels like I'm chewing a mouthful of rubber bands....:yuck:

Robbity

14. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, it has a slightly rubbery texture for want of a better word. But I still love it! Bread seems to be for me like cigarettes are to others, just utterly addictive.

15. Wilber123

Wilber123 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I’m new to this forum.
    I’m sorry but Iv laughed my socks off st this Rubber band stuff.
    The 90 second bread sounds easy so I will give it s go.
    Iv been recently diagnosed and I’m trying the LCHF at 50g carbs a day.
    I tried 100g of Rice today, out of a microwave packet. With some flavouring.
    Not to be tried again as I spiked up to 8.9. not good I think.
    Would you people think I should try plain white rice. Would it make s lower spike or should I just not eat it at all. Advice please.
    Many thanks.

16. Hedonista

Cauliflower Rice, Wilber123 - some people make it from scratch, but I'm a fantastically lazy cook so I buy it frozen from Iceland. You can microwave it as is and just use as you would rice, or lightly fry it in olive oil or butter with other stuff (I like it with turmeric and mushrooms), and it makes a fairly decent kedgeree too x

17. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

using lettuce leaves as a bread alternative for sandwiches is lovely, especially with full fat mayo on : )

18. jayney27

jayney27 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I buy LivLife when I can get it, don’t use it for sandwiches but it’s fine as toast. I also enjoy the Iceland cauliflower rice, it’s convenient and no mess, use fresh cauli for mash, depending on size I might make soup and mash at the same time.

19. Wilber123

Wilber123 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thank you. Like the idea of the cauliflower rice. And lettuce rolled around something nice.
    Weighed this am and already lost 2.5 lb.
    also ate Keto porridge. Very nice and filling.
    Great to know your all so helpful. Thankyou.

20. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

slices of cold meat, like ham, also make a good wrapper for sandwich type meals.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook