daughter diagnosed type 1 a week ago

jake667

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my daughter age 12 went to the doc last fri the 3rd of march after my wife had been noticing some signs that worried her , drinking alot lost weight peeing alot . my wife is a rn nurse , so after my daughters exam about a hour later she got a call telling her her numbers 770 blood sugar a1cs in the 16+ and her blood acids 7.01 .. she was rushed into the er and spent 5 hours there then 2.5 days in the icu and another 2 in the ped floor . she also has hypo thriod diagnosed at the same time.. need less to say the last week plus has been a roll a coaster of emotions . alex my daughter has done great to be honest . shes doin her own shots since the 3rd day has retained alot of info about all this .shes better then me to say about all this lol .i have so many questions so many fears . we cleaned are house to start a better diet for her , and all of us , and are trying to find a new norm with all this . her diet is 75 carbs per meal goal. and she wants to stay with her pen injections for now . iv tried to talk to her about a cgm like the dexcom but shes not interested at all . i think because it would be a constant reminder for her . she experienced her first low yesterday witch she handled very well . i screwed up and feed her a to high of fat content meal and used sliding scale for her amount and im guessing the slow release of carbs because of the meal caused a low dip 2 hours after the meal then she spiked high 3 hours later .... this has been a huge learning curve for us all . me the most . her levels are still trending on the high side . and since we are just getting back to life after the hospital i have no idea how her body is gona respond to her day to day life .. she went to school on fri and her numbers were the best that day they have been so that was positive... my wife has a close friend who is type one who is offering advice and im great full . but im so scared as a father im gona screw this up ..and any advice im greatfull for and i appoligise for not using correct terms im new to all this . thanks jake

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.....

I cant imagine the emotional turmoil you will be going through as a parent of a type one....

fortunately these days the treatment regimes mean that type ones can get control of the condition relatively quickly and maintain it...

love and support will be the main thing you will be giving seeing as she is old enough to get her head round things and do most of it herself....

being newly diagnosaed means her pancreas might still have wee burst of insulin production so doses will be low and sometimes unpredictable, so its really a day by day thing, but it will settle down eventually and she will learn how her own body responds to the different foods and activity levels....

It sounds like you have a good grip of the baiscs on food digestion so I am confident you will be making life a lot easier for her....

coming here is also a very good step as you can get advise on the technical stuff as well as general knowledge and experiecne from the community....

Reactions: noblehead

jake667

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.....

I cant imagine the emotional turmoil you will be going through as a parent of a type one....

fortunately these days the treatment regimes mean that type ones can get control of the condition relatively quickly and maintain it...

love and support will be the main thing you will be giving seeing as she is old enough to get her head round things and do most of it herself....

being newly diagnosaed means her pancreas might still have wee burst of insulin production so doses will be low and sometimes unpredictable, so its really a day by day thing, but it will settle down eventually and she will learn how her own body responds to the different foods and activity levels....

It sounds like you have a good grip of the baiscs on food digestion so I am confident you will be making life a lot easier for her....

coming here is also a very good step as you can get advise on the technical stuff as well as general knowledge and experiecne from the community....
thank you i know im not by any means alone with this all ,, but its hard to not feel that way anyhow . i jump back and forth with anger and sadness and constant confusion

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you i know im not by any means alone with this all ,, but its hard to not feel that way anyhow . i jump back and forth with anger and sadness and constant confusion

Have you got "think like a pancreas"? It's a great book covering the basics of managing type 1.

Have you been in touch with your local JDRF? They do a good pack for newly diagnosed kids. They might be able to give you some advice on what you need to tell school. And they might have some events where you could meet other families with type 1.

If your daughters not keen on dexcom it might be worth having a look at you tube vides on what it looks like in, where to wear it, where to insert it. Just to see if that helps. But it is a big adjustment for someone who's used to diabetes, so an even bigger jump for someone newly diagnosed, there's already a lot for her to get used to. It sounds like she's doing great, well done on supporting her through it.

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jake667 . What a shock for you and your daughter. As you will soon find out there's a whole host of people who will be her to help your daughter and the rest of your family.
There's so much to learn and you really do need to take each day as it comes. Learn a little and often.
Make sure your daughter is proud to be a fully pledged T1 diabetic and you'll have the most difficult part sussed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I'll tag in @mahola she's a T1 mum of a T1..

It's a loooooooong time since I was a T1 kid. But I certainly picked up on the parents "vibe." (Change in family dynamics.)
If she's injecting after the "3rd day"? The kid's wanting to "own" her condition..
Just "play it cool" with a watchful eye...

Wishing you guys all the best!

Welcome to the club, by the way!

jake667

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
shes doin well even looked at me with a smile a few days ago and says yep im a proud owner of a useless pancreas . and laughed ..but she really does play it tough but inside its hurting her .shes a tough cookie to crack when it comes to emotions . im hopping she dosent do the one day it all crashes down . shes able to contact her diabetic consler at anytime ,witch happens to work with my wife so im hopping she will use that ..but i know she most likely wont .there is so much info to try to ingest with this and her numbers are all over they place currently witch im told is normal since her body is adjusting to the insulin . i know one thing i hate her lance she has she struggles with it so im looking for a better one . i know this sound self serving but is there any normal again. every meal and every blood sugar test is a mini panic attack for me lol

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
feel really sad for you and your daugther and familly, wish you all the best and hope it will b a good devellopment over the onger run..

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i know this sound self serving but is there any normal again. every meal and every blood sugar test is a mini panic attack for me lol

It will become normal, normal will just be a bit different, involving a few more needles and numbers. But it will be normal for your daughter. What are you panicking about at the moment with the tests? Once you know what you've got to do to manage type 1 it shouldn't make you panic, because you'll know what to do to deal with the result.

jake667

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You'll feel anger, hurt, confusion, sadness, grief. You'll blame yourself. You'll forever be asking "why?" But this I promise you, it WILL get better.

It's been over a year now since both myself and my daughter were diagnosed, 5 days apart. What a roller coaster. For me. My daughter has been amazing. She recently turned 12 too.

Let your daughter lead the way. Let her manage things as she sees fit. It's hard as a parent to take a step back and let our children take control but it's her diabetes. Let her do it her way as much as she wants to and is able.

Just let her know you're there when she needs you. Love and support will see her through this tough time. And be kind to yourself too!
wow that would be alot to take in

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It can't be easy for all of you. Was the 75gm carbs at each meal something you were told or read? It sounds a bit on the high side but there could be a good reason. Yes, fat does smooth the absorption of the carbs and in that sense can help smooth spikes.

jake667

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
her nutritionist suggested that he said we might move that around but being a kid he said alittle higher would be better for her