daughter new type one super hungry

jake667

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my daughter dio alittle over a week ago . of course i have a billion questions . but the one right now is . shes so hungry .. and gets very hangry before a meal .. is that common. her sugur coming into super tonight was 102 and shes acting like she never ate today lol ... i dont want to over feed her but i want her to be happy too . so iv been giving her no carb snacks

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This could just be a temporary phase - depending on how long your daughter went undiagnosed for with diabetes her body will have been unable to get carbs into the cells efficiently for a period of time and will have used other resources to keep fuelling (such as fat and muscle). Now that she is diagnosed and getting treatment the body will try and rebuild and repair what it's used up.

After I was diagnosed I gained weight I had lost prior to diagnosis and once this was back things seemed to level out, it's quite common.

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does she have enough protein and fats? These help slow the digestion of carbs and help with hunger without a big sugar high. How about nuts or cheese for some pre-meal snacks?

jake667

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes her a1c was over 16 and she had lost weight yes she is 12 .we can guess its been goin on for months untill she was dioed .. i have a long intro in the greeting section if ud like to read .. but were trying to stick to her diet of 75 carbs per meal .. and its new territory to me to say the least ..my wife is much better at it then i am lol .. shes a nurse a rn so she continues to amaze me with her calmness and knowledge with all this even though shes a cardiology nurse she experienced much more then i have with type 1. but we have been trying to give alot of protein with each meal .

ksmeckel

yes her a1c was over 16 and she had lost weight yes she is 12 .we can guess its been goin on for months untill she was dioed .. i have a long intro in the greeting section if ud like to read .. but were trying to stick to her diet of 75 carbs per meal .. and its new territory to me to say the least ..my wife is much better at it then i am lol .. shes a nurse a rn so she continues to amaze me with her calmness and knowledge with all this even though shes a cardiology nurse she experienced much more then i have with type 1. but we have been trying to give alot of protein with each meal .

Your wife is likely just as terrified, but used to hiding behind her "nurse face". :) Our kiddo has probably been in higher sugar levels for the past couple of weeks and been affected for at least a month. The weight loss in one month has been significant. We were at a friends house just about 1 month ago and they noticed a significant weight loss from that day when they saw her in the hospital. She was also pretty dehydrated when we went in as well. This is a huge learning curve for me as well. It is a whole different ball game from treating patients that are well established at work to keeping my newly diagnosed daughter alive. I am constantly second guessing myself as to what is the right amount of insulin and whether or not she is going to be safe as she is still adjusting. We are trying to keep her at a good level of carbs according to what the dietitian figured out for her in the hospital. We are supplementing with protein snacks such as cheese, meats, hard boiled eggs, and celery with peanut butter(on a smaller level due to the carbs). She also likes sugar free jello and eats veggies with ranch dressing for a lower carb snack. We are trying to figure out what else she can have. I am a bit concerned with the idea of all these high in fat foods and higher cholesterol food choices over time. I know she is only 12, but I am a cardiology nurse and have seen the results of the risk factors of a high cholesterol/fat diet combined with the natural risk of diabetes. I am hoping once she gets better regulated she wont be as hungry all the time because she wont be spiking high and then dipping low.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Thought the dangers of fats were being questioned with more recent scientific research?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my daughter dio alittle over a week ago . of course i have a billion questions . but the one right now is . shes so hungry .. and gets very hangry before a meal .. is that common. her sugur coming into super tonight was 102 and shes acting like she never ate today lol ... i dont want to over feed her but i want her to be happy too . so iv been giving her no carb snacks

Hunger in a newly diagnosed type 1 is normal. Pre diagnosis she was starving, no matter how much she ate her body couldn't access the energy coming in. Now she's got insulin she can and her body is demanding to be rebuilt. If she has high blood sugar hunger can be a symptom of that, so work on getting her sugars down to normal levels under guidance of her DSN. If she's just starting to get normal numbers some of the hanger could be false hypo symptoms.

Learn a about carb counting so her food choices don't have to be restricted.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When i was diagnosed i had been unwell for months, and hadn't eaten for days. I went into hospital and had lost 3 1/2 stone and was severely dehydrated. After a few days my appetite increaesed and my nurse said this is usual. Its because your body has been starved during illness and started to break down the cells. Therefore this needs to be replaced. I have been diagnosed 7 months and it took me about 3 months to go back to a normal appetite.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought the dangers of fats were being questioned with more recent scientific research?
I agree. My understanding is that in general the cholesterol you eat has only a small effect on blood levels as the liver produces most of it; same for saturated fats. The way the metabolism works, what you eat isn't automatically transferred to the body without many changes; particularly for fats.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I was absolutely starving when I was first diagnosed. As @catapillar says, that's more than likely her grateful body signalling to her to get the food in now it can be used properly.

I remember being hungry for weeks, but then it settled down.

Once you're confident carb counting and adjusting her insulin, she can have carb snacks if she chooses. She can also be more flexible with her meals, depending on how hungry she is.

So indulge the hunger - it's normal and will reduce gradually :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jake667 - Welcome aboard the forum.

I'm not T1, so have no wisdom to offer on your daughter's predicament, but I thought I'd mention that if you aren't Type 1 yourself, you might like to select "Parent" as your diabetes type? It might make it clearer to respondents on any future threads, or when you're participating elsewhere. You can do that via your account page.

It's no big deal, and you certainly haven't done anything wrong.

I hope things settle soon for you all.

jake667

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @jake667 - Welcome aboard the forum.

I'm not T1, so have no wisdom to offer on your daughter's predicament, but I thought I'd mention that if you aren't Type 1 yourself, you might like to select "Parent" as your diabetes type? It might make it clearer to respondents on any future threads, or when you're participating elsewhere. You can do that via your account page.

It's no big deal, and you certainly haven't done anything wrong.

I hope things settle soon for you all.
Sorry my bad I didn't see that listed fixed

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry my bad I didn't see that listed fixed

No need to apologise at all. You hadn't done anything wrong. There's quite a list of options there, and it's easy to miss one or two.