D@n1el

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
During last year, my fasting blood glucose was getting higher and higher, sometimes above 115 mg/dL. Months before, I went to the lab and it was 97 mg/dL. I have a solid family history of mild to severe Type 2 and had a grand grand mother with Type 1.

Hence, since last December I've decided to fight prediabetes. I've started a low carb diet combined with 16:8 fasting 6 days a week and 24-hour fasting 1 day a week. I've also started resistance training (5 times a week) and jogging (3 times a week). I take no medication. I'm 45 and I'm relatively lean (height 179 cm, weight 63 kg today, lost 5 kg since December), so I can never be absolutely sure there's not a LADA waiting for me.

Between January 13 and February 10, I've had my reward and fasting BG was every day consistently below 100 mg/dL. But since last week I've noticed fasting BG was getting higher and higher again, for no apparent reason. Today, I finally saw it above 100 (104 mg/dL). I usually measure it before breakfast, between 5 am and 9am (I wake up at 5 pm).

Funny thing is that since last week, I've been testing my BG also before going to bed, and it was always lower than whatever number I’d get in the morning. Today, for instance, I've got 104 mg/dL at 8am (24-hour fasting), had only one meal finished at 9am (2100 calories, 80g protein, 0g carb, 186g fat), and then I've got 86mg/dL at 5pm (about 8 hours without eating anything). That’s way different than before I’ve started to fight prediabetes, because back then fasting BG values would usually be the lowest ones of the day.

So now is what I can't seem to understand.

I know there are at least 3 mechanisms for such situation (fasting BG > BG at later times). There's (I) the dawn phenomenon, (II) the physiologic insulin resistance (or adaptive glucose sparring) and (III) something else that Dr. Jason Fung mentions
here and in his Diabetes Code book — that fasting is likely to push glucose storage from liver to blood.

I wonder if someone could explain those 3 mechanisms and their differences, please. I’m trying to understand them in a way I can have a clue about which may have something to do with my readings since last week. I don't even know if "III" (from Dr. Jason Fung's writings) is somehow the same thing as "I" or "II".

Thank you so much. My apologies for writing mistakes.

Last edited: