Dawn phenomenon strikes Again.

simply_h

Hello,

Well went to bed with a lovely 4.8 mmol, ( ITS NORMALLY around 5.2 - 5.5mmol) woke up with a 7.1mmol... GUTTED.!

I did wake up a lot later than normal, then had shower and thought i would test, i wished I had not bothered.!

Anyway had single slice of brown bread with egss and bacon, one hour later 9.1mmol. - I recon the bread was a bad move.

Not tested at 2 hours but what the hell is going on???

It does make me ask the Q, am I a TYPE 2???

Anyone got any ideas?

cheers
Simply_h

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
To avoid this happening I always have my breakfast first thing then shower, if I don't and leave it till later my bg readings can go up by 2-3mmol before I eat breakfast, I'm type 1 btw.

simply_h

Hello Again,

I just tested at the 2 hour mark and got 5.9mmol... which is OK.

But why at 1 hours am i showing up at 9.1 mmol then at 2 hours its crashed down to 5.9mmol..

Any ideas?

cheers
Simply_h

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You may well be seeing the overnight liver-dump phenomenon where the body provides more glucose for start of the day. I never test in the morning to avoid this. Do a test 2 hours after a main meal to get a truer value of your reaction to food. Your sugar levels seem to be very good overall so you would appear to be a T2 but early days. Your GP should be giving you an annual Hba1c test which will indicate your average sugar level. BTW the brown bread or similar can be enough to raise your sugar after 1 hour but it would then start to come down at 2 hours which is what you are seeing and would be quite normal for a diabetic.