Dawn Phenomenon

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Can anyone tell me How long does the dp keep going? I have been fairly low carbing for nearly 6 months now but still have really high morning readings. Eg last night went to bed an ok 6 this morning 9.5. I feel it's lucky if still in single figures.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Good morning @Concordjan, the time it needs to reduce dp varies ....to a large extent on how much excess glucose is stored in our livers...in my case it took about 7 months to get down to 5.0 am fasting,clive

Reactions: Concordjan

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Clive, so hopefully not too much longer for me.
Jan

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun might be able to give you some pointers to help - I think others eat a small amount of portion just before bed to help control it. Or search the forum as those who badly suffer with it have shared their thoughts.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have tried a few nuts before bed, but that didn't make any difference. Will do some more reading. Been diagnosed t2 for over 9 years so may have a lot of sugar stored.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you find out please let me know. 11 years into this and I still have not figured out how to stop it. It does lessen with time and low carb though, used to be like 14 and now it is 6-7 ish. I usually am about 5 when I go to bed.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have tried a few nuts before bed, but that didn't make any difference. Will do some more reading. Been diagnosed t2 for over 9 years so may have a lot of sugar stored.
Hi.
I found the liver dump is something very inconvenient to type 2s with insulin resistance. Now this phenomoneum is based on keeping us ALL from going hypo through the night in times of fast. Some literature states approx 3am is when our liver gives even none diabetics a helping hand. (Glucose released from the liver into the blood stream).Some literature states a liver dump can occur at any time in long periods where no intake of food. Also that not just the liver outputs glucose but muscles and other organs (kidneys).
What I do is enjoy the carb free breakfast with cream or animal fats as soon as I awake to prevent another glucose dump when I work my body to get myself and kids into school. Even just changing out of my bed clothes is enough to cause me and others a rise.
Test yourself. Test on waking, in bed. Then test again after preparing yourself to leave the house before ingesting anything. That rise can be huge, well it is for me!
I'm hugely insulin resistant.
I have to take huge amounts of mixed insulin to keep my high bgs in control. I'm currently relaxing from these helpful tips I'm going to give you, since I'm on holiday this week. However I cannot highly recommend anything less to curb liver dumps raising your hba1c.
1) If you have to go long periods of time without food, hide away from carbs as they make you yearn for more carbs as your body isn't satified unless refueling your liver, muscles and other organs with glucose. Starvation mode makes your body hold onto glucose and save any new stores.
2) From dinner to bedtime can be a breeding time for glucose storage and from dinner to breakfast, even more so. The lower your carb intake the lower your glucose storage, everyone's measure is different. Everyones degree of insulin resistance is different. Investigate by using your meter, for your increase. Remember this will vary even if same amount of food and macros. It depends on how much is already in storage already too. However I can guarantee you, a rise.

What some of us do is eat a fatty protein before bed. Just enough to block the liver dump. Some need a tiny amount, some need more. Once again investigate by checking your fbgs on rising, on first instance.
I have to do another immediately on rising. This can make a huge difference to my meter readings and steadier bgs.
I can use half the amount of insulin by using these techniques with diligent low carbing. The difference between over 200 mixed units and 120 units and reduction, on strict days. For me.
Use that cheese or nuts to your advantage and keep those liver dumps in check.
I monitored my liver enzyme output whilst blocking continously and my fatty liver went and on doing these techniques religiously gave me a much lower hba1c.
I hope this works for you! :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Can anyone tell me How long does the dp keep going? I have been fairly low carbing for nearly 6 months now but still have really high morning readings. Eg last night went to bed an ok 6 this morning 9.5. I feel it's lucky if still in single figures.
How much protein do you eat daily? Approximately? Too much protein can cause higher bgs too.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The dawn phenomenon is actually quite natural and normal and is actually the liver doing it's job dumping some glucose into our system, preparing us for the day ahead. It can also do this at other times of day when it thinks we may need topping up.

But it does generally come down lower with time after our other (pre and post meal) levels have improved. I find the more fat my body has available for energy, particularly after a highish fat supper, I'm less likely to see a definite rise in the morning as my body's got this alternative fuel source to fall back on and isn't quite so anxious to feed me extra glucose to get me going in the mornings.

Robbity

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How much protein do you eat daily? Approximately? Too much protein can cause higher bgs too.
Good morning and thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply.
I haven't been measuring the protein. Yesterday I had a pork chop for dinner and cheese with lunch. I suppose this is typical. I will re-read all the advice and see what adjustments I can make.
Thanks again.
Jan

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
The dawn phenomenon is actually quite natural and normal and is actually the liver doing it's job dumping some glucose into our system, preparing us for the day ahead. It can also do this at other times of day when it thinks we may need topping up.

But it does generally come down lower with time after our other (pre and post meal) levels have improved. I find the more fat my body has available for energy, particularly after a highish fat supper, I'm less likely to see a definite rise in the morning as my body's got this alternative fuel source to fall back on and isn't quite so anxious to feed me extra glucose to get me going in the mornings.

Robbity

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You cant stop it, as already mentioned, but its severity can be reduced for sure...;)