1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dawn phenomenon

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Sparkle1953, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Sparkle1953

Sparkle1953 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am T2, doing Keto and OMAD and due to have next lot of HBA1c early April.

Does anyone have a process that they follow to deal with the DP? My BGL most mornings is between 7 and 8.4.

I am concerned that these levels will affect the test adversely.

We normally eat before 6pm and I don’t snack before bed. I thought that Keto would help. Clearly it hasn’t and I am disappointed.

2nd question. I was following a lady on the forum who was eating to her meter and it was really interesting. Now I can’t find the thread and wondered if someone could help with a link thanks!

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Quite a few of us eat to our meter!

Re dp. Some people eat a little bit of something as soon as they get up, it works for some but not for everyone. It's the last reading to come down. Personally I just ignored it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sparkle1953

Have only been doing this a couple of months and quite happy with progress however it’s never too late to fine tune.

4. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I seem to have success when I fast for 24 hours. For me personally eating first thing in the morning doesn't help although I have read that it does help some. The fine tuning is something you'll have to try and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sparkle1953

Thanks David, I am already fasting 24 hrs. Only having dinner and making sure I have eaten before 6pm.

Tonight I am going to add exercise straight after I have eaten and then do the ACV before bed. I normally exercise 1st thing in the morning to get it down from the morning high so will switch it around and see if it makes a difference.

6. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As a Type 1 who can have awful DP I have found eating something before bed tends to help. Over time I discovered fasting makes it worse as the liver seems to overcompensate and chuck out glucose.

7. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As already stated this can be the last number to fall. Mine took about 12 months to come down to normal levels.

8. Charis1213

Charis1213 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have DP too some morning I am 7.7 then others 6.7 . I only tested this morning because i had slept really well and wanted to see if it had an effect and it did , i decided to test once a week during the day to check all is well, because i am eating the same foods and all the readings have been consistent , and now i have proved that a good sleep gives me a good reading in the morning .

I want my A1c to drop down to 34 like a lot on here , but i have doubts it will , next A1c in August this year so will see. I don't think i am losing weight now either it seems to have stopped although i did buy a size 18 dress yesterday and it fits perfectly and i was a size 24 this time last year .

I don't worry about the DP as it has been this way since doing LCHF .

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook