Dead fingers - nerve damage?

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Since diagnosis I am nearly always cold and am having great difficulty keeping warm even though I am wearing several layers.I am having to really work at keeping my core temperature high as even when I think I am not really cold my fingers, starting with my middle one, start going white and dead and I have to work on getting them back to normal.
I have had my circulation checked out with ultrasound and apparently that is good so my doctor says that it must be undiagnosed diabetes which has caused nerve damage and hence my dead fingers.
I have nerve damage in my feet due to a spine problem and the feeling there has entirely gone so I know what that feels like but I do wonder if is it feasible that this problem with my fingers actually is nerve damage given that I can get the feeling back and return my fingers to a normal feeling and colour with gentle massage in warm water. I have searched the web for information but cannot find anything relevant so is there anyone out there with experience of nerve damage in the fingers who can throw light on this?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There are actually around 25 possible causes of cold hands listed here in this link which may be helpful. TBH, I would ask for a second opinion about this. Not everything is always Diabetes related.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/ ... causes.htm

My ex wife had the same symptoms and she was photographed using a device which showed her hands to be significantly colder than other extremities.......a final diagnosis was a circulation problem. :( Reynauds......

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Thank you so much Ken! That is a terrific website and visiting it has caused much clicking as things are suddenly slotting into place – you probably heard it from there! :D
I have been down in a big hole with really bad ME/CFS recurrence and it would seem that there may be a connection there – as you say not everything is about diabetes and I didn’t think what my doctor said sounded quite right either. When I can get the energy I will certainly try for another opinion as there are other options aside from a coverall diabetic side-effects! :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As you know we cannot diagnose but I am glad to have given you something to think about based on my own/ex's experiences. Hope you feel better soon. I sent you a pm........

Ken x

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Hi
I also get cold and pain in my hands fingers and arms
this is from spinal damage to my neck
given Amitriptyline to help with the pain from nerve damage
I am always rubbing my hands too

As you say you have spinal damage that effects your feet ? (maybe)?
try holding your head to one side see if it brings on the pins and needles, when i move my head to the left and hold it in that position my whole arm will go dead :?

Just a thought !!! as its not always the Diabetes
try a Google on Cervical Nerve Damage

Best to go back and see your GP

Regards

Bob

Hope you get to the bottom of this