Dealing with a know it all non-diabetic

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
After I'd stop laughing , which could be some time, I'd ask her what her experience of diabetes actually is and where did she get this info. Perhaps you could offer her a shot of your insulin to settle things ?

I've had some stupid comments about diabetes aimed at me but never anything like this :-0 One moron tried telling me once that you can only get T1 if you first have T2 for a prolonged period first, trying to insinuate it was all my own doing.

Reactions: 2 people

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Know it all diabetics are harder to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On a scout camp with my leader/friend who is a clued up NHS worker and two other leaders, one who is an anaesthetist, and one just a first aider, I was bemoaning the fact that I had a hypo during the night. first aider says casually so do you just give yourself some insulin when that happens? I didn't get a chance to say anything before anaesthetist and friend had jumped down his throat, but given that diabetes is one thing that cubs/scouts are likely to have this frightened me big time, as we are all first aid trained.
At work only my boss and his boss even know I have diabetes and I have asked them to keep it that way, boss says I think you should tell the first-aiders so they can inject you if you need help / are unconscious I said - if I am unconscious please call the paramedics do not let any first aider near me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm sorry but " shut the flip up" just wouldn't be enough for me. I think situations like this demand fire and brimstone along with a promise that if aforementioned expert ever came near me with anything resembling an injection pen I would stick it right in her glutus maximus.

Lol, I was trying to be polite with the 'shut the flip up' ;) but with hypo's, it could come out as something slightly different ;):)

Reactions: 4 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast. Lol you are obviously a very polite person, which is nice these days. I'm sure if you shouted flip at me I'd get the message.:):):):):):):)

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The one that gets me, and I have told many people - when your blood sugar is low you DON'T inject insulin.
But if you ever watch a Movie, eg Panic room or Con Air (I am sure there are others) the story is based on someone needing insulin. To my knowledge, if you haven't eaten or drank anything sweet the chance of needing insulin is probably non-existent.
Although, to Panic Rooms defence, the introduction of the Blood Monitoring watch was great.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a bit like saying to treat someone who has a nut allergy and is in anaphylactic shock from eating nuts is to give them more nuts! :(

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The one that gets me, and I have told many people - when your blood sugar is low you DON'T inject insulin.
But if you ever watch a Movie, eg Panic room or Con Air (I am sure there are others) the story is based on someone needing insulin. To my knowledge, if you haven't eaten or drank anything sweet the chance of needing insulin is probably non-existent.
Although, to Panic Rooms defence, the introduction of the Blood Monitoring watch was great.
Panic room is awesome! Tbh, most films with Jared Leto are decent!

I think the wee girl was probably more DKA stage though in the film from having no insulin.

The experiment is another decent film which centres around one of the more prominent characters being a diabetic.

Might just make a full blown film full of diabetics. At least we'd all watch it:)

Grant

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Political thriller, T1D PM murderered by insulin overdose. Who done it??? Ambitious blonde? Sacked poison dwarf Gove? Jeremy Hunt for being stuck with health contracts again?

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That is a Movie I'd watch. But you know, the butler did it (aka Mi5)

Now that she is PM - we need to get her to make the treatment more modern and up to date with diet guidelines and free CGM systems

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a Movie I'd watch. But you know, the butler did it (aka Mi5)

Now that she is PM - we need to get her to make the treatment more modern and up to date with diet guidelines and free CGM systems
Nah you're wrong.

The money would be better spent on customisable bionic pancreases. CGM will be "so last year" when you can switch pancreas covers/cases and battle with your friends via Bluetooth tournaments:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Or we could just start with getting people to recognise that insulin is not the treatment for a hypo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I wonder what Theresa May has told her cabinet about hypo treatment. I can imagine Andrea Leadsom reaching for the insulin...

Mrs May has probably had a restraining order put on Mrs Leadsom as we speak...................... I think that would be my first political pm moment ;):rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Actually, they could just give us all Stem Cell injections which generally improves your body, by cutting down a minimum of 80% insulin if you're unlucky. But more than likely will give your pancreas a rebirth back into health.

So I looked into the "cure" using Stem cells and it costs about $20,000 USD - now if we can all be cured for $20,000 USD wouldn't that save the NHS a shed load of money over the years? - sorry off original topic but something we could put towards the PM

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, they could just give us all Stem Cell injections which generally improves your body, by cutting down a minimum of 80% insulin if you're unlucky. But more than likely will give your pancreas a rebirth back into health.

So I looked into the "cure" using Stem cells and it costs about $20,000 USD - now if we can all be cured for $20,000 USD wouldn't that save the NHS a shed load of money over the years? - sorry off original topic but something we could put towards the PM

not at the current exchange rate!

S

Shar67

My panc has shrivelled up I think I would be wasting $20,000.

We need a slogan liked the stroke poster F.A.S.T.

I will start a thread rather than hijack this one

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not being one to be particularly outspoken and one to avoid conflict I would gently inform, that although I appreciate their interest in the subject I think they have got their information a little back to front!! Then probably proceed to inform them of the right information. I have had so many incidences of misinformation over the years and most people are fine with being correctly informed, these type of people will probably then go on and 'spout' their new founded information onto whoever will listen probably quoting you along the way! I personally wouldn't worry about anyone trying to give me insulin when hypo, most people I know wouldn't have a clue about my pen!!!

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basic level first aid here in Canada that is a requirement for many jobs has a section about diabetes. They stress that if you know someone is diabetic and acting drunk or off to treat for a low and offer sugar if they are conscious. They stress that you will not hurt someone if their sugars are high but could save a life if they are low. The key to it all is to educate as many people as possible. We have commercials on TV that tell you what to do for heart attack or stroke but not hypoglycemia. Maybe we should have those too.
My partner did a first aid at work course a couple of years ago and was chuffed to bits to find his exam question was how to treat a hypo!!

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
It is funny, but it is not :) I am type 1 and recently had a conversation with a well meaning know it all non-diabetic who insisted that I must take insulin not carbs when I am low. Of course, there is always the you can't eat sugar discussion. I tried to explain that I could have carbs and need them when I am low, but she assured me that she was right and I was completely ignorant of what I was talking about. What kind if experiences do others have with this type of expert advice :)?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
pity you can't let her try being diabetic for a week