Dealing with a know it all non-diabetic

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is funny, but it is not :) I am type 1 and recently had a conversation with a well meaning know it all non-diabetic who insisted that I must take insulin not carbs when I am low. Of course, there is always the you can't eat sugar discussion. I tried to explain that I could have carbs and need them when I am low, but she assured me that she was right and I was completely ignorant of what I was talking about. What kind if experiences do others have with this type of expert advice :)?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd tell her that if you were wrong you would be dead by now and that you're pretty sure you're not!

Reactions: 14 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It is funny, but it is not :) I am type 1 and recently had a conversation with a well meaning know it all non-diabetic who insisted that I must take insulin not carbs when I am low. Of course, there is always the you can't eat sugar discussion. I tried to explain that I could have carbs and need them when I am low, but she assured me that she was right and I was completely ignorant of what I was talking about. What kind if experiences do others have with this type of expert advice :)?

I would of said, why don't you shut the flip up, you have no idea what you are talking about, I would be dead if I had Insulin, you moron !! also
'There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation can't cure' makes me so :mad::rolleyes::mad::arghh:

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I would of said, why don't you shut the flip up, you have no idea what you are talking about, I would be dead if I had Insulin, you moron !! also
'There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation can't cure' makes me so :mad::rolleyes::mad::arghh:

Calm down calm down... You'll do yourself a mischief:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Not so well meaning, just stupidity, with no concept of how it could actually kill someone :wideyed:
Stupid is, stupid does :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Correct them forcefully! Verbally, of course.

Not only must it have been really aggravating for you to hear that, it's potentially dangerous information and who knows who else that person is miseducating.

I heard someone say that on local,radio once so I phoned up and insisted they issue a correction!

I'm sure I'm not the only person on insulin who fears being 'helped' by such an ignorant member of the public if I were ever to have a bad hypo.

If it was me, I'd print out some info from the internet and shove it in her face. I'd also explain that if that wasn't enough proof for her, then she could check any other medical site or, indeed, ask a diabetes charity or a first aid charity.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Agree with @azure, print something off from the net and show her how wrong she is.

The media is partially to blame for people's misconceptions as drama's/soaps often get the story-line wrong and say that a type 1 character needs an insulin injection when hypo..............:rolleyes:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm sorry, I opened my mouth!

On a serious note, I have to carry medical information and have a necklace that is for health care providers, as I'm often been treated like a T1, when I have had hypos in my doctors and hospital!
But I get the gist of your rant!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

"Reincarnation"..? Not everyone subscribes to that belief system. Would diabetes or any ailments in the state of "samsara" not be cured only when finding Nirvana..?

Nevermind... ;)

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
"Reincarnation"..? Not everyone subscribes to that belief system. Would diabetes or any ailments in the state of "samsara" not be cured only when finding Nirvana..?

Nevermind... ;)

Not diabetes Jaylee, the person who's a know it all, but actually knows diddly squat. Hope that clears that up :)

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Correct them forcefully! Verbally, of course.

Not only must it have been really aggravating for you to hear that, it's potentially dangerous information and who knows who else that person is miseducating.

I heard someone say that on local,radio once so I phoned up and insisted they issue a correction!

I'm sure I'm not the only person on insulin who fears being 'helped' by such an ignorant member of the public if I were ever to have a bad hypo.

If it was me, I'd print out some info from the internet and shove it in her face. I'd also explain that if that wasn't enough proof for her, then she could check any other medical site or, indeed, ask a diabetes charity or a first aid charity.

I often worry about people giving me insulin in the case of a bad hypo too.
Some of my own family members (my brother for example) still doesn't understand the jist of it all, and that is after having it for 30 years - and it is so important to get it the right way round - as it really is a matter of life and death!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not diabetes Jaylee, the person who's a know it all, but actually knows diddly squat. Hope that clears that up :)
Ah, I see.. I'm all apologies.

In that case I would be inclined to play the lounge act & stay away. Maybe let em play dumb.? Don't let it drain you?
you know you're right.!

Be a little curt with them..

Last edited by a moderator:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I sent the first aiders at work an e-mail saying "you will NEVER need to give me insulin"

Reactions: 9 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry but " shut the flip up" just wouldn't be enough for me. I think situations like this demand fire and brimstone along with a promise that if aforementioned expert ever came near me with anything resembling an injection pen I would stick it right in her glutus maximus.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I often worry about people giving me insulin in the case of a bad hypo too.
Some of my own family members (my brother for example) still doesn't understand the jist of it all, and that is after having it for 30 years - and it is so important to get it the right way round - as it really is a matter of life and death!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Basic level first aid here in Canada that is a requirement for many jobs has a section about diabetes. They stress that if you know someone is diabetic and acting drunk or off to treat for a low and offer sugar if they are conscious. They stress that you will not hurt someone if their sugars are high but could save a life if they are low. The key to it all is to educate as many people as possible. We have commercials on TV that tell you what to do for heart attack or stroke but not hypoglycemia. Maybe we should have those too.

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I sent the first aiders at work an e-mail saying "you will NEVER need to give me insulin"
So did I. Especially during my pregnancy days.
One have a go hero couldnt wait to inject me and my baby. :(