1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dealing with a know it all non-diabetic

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Karenchq, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Type1Bri

Type1Bri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

2. linnyb

linnyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's interesting to hear how often this misunderstanding arises - BUT i am afraid that there is little hope of change anytime soon. Diabetic since 21, am 44 now & my husband still gets confused & I have been with him since I was 15!!! Luckily I rarely get hypos & recognize the signs quickly. Love him to bits & he has a heart of gold, but it does confuse him x

3. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Years ago the company I worked for had health education days for example, epilepsy, asthma, heart attacks. When I suggested to HR that maybe they should consider educating my colleagues on diabetic hypos, etc., they thought that as I was the only diabetic in the building it wasn't necessary and no one would be interested.

4. debz48

debz48 Type 1 · Member

I totally agree with you chalup. You see numerous adverts about cancer, stroke and heart attacks. But what about diabetes, addisons disease and asthma???

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

5. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had a very good friend that was T1 from the time he was a toddler and having many complications and wild swings. I saw him have a bad hypo on a few occasions and he always carried chocolate in his pocket. I would never have dreamed of touching his insulin for any reason.

6. s-s-i-i-c-c-k-k

s-s-i-i-c-c-k-k Type 1 · Member

I come along this kind of people all the time. One of them actually studies medicine and was convinced low blood sugars cause bradycardia (which is nonsense, as low blood sugars HUGELY raises heart rates)! What I've learnt from these people is ignorance is bliss. Even though they know you are a diabetic and you live off the rules of diabetes, most of them won't understand the fact that their conceptions are wrong. Just ignore them, and watch your health ;)

7. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

Well not in everyone, hypoglycaemia can cause bradycardia in some diabetics, type 1 or insulin dependant more at risk.
    It is more related to nightime hypos and can kill.
    I myself have always had low blood pressure and the heart rate of an athlete much to the confusion of many doctors and nurses, they all seem to think I will have HBP and high cholesterol, the highest bp I've had was 110/65 so normal, bp usual is 96/60 with heart rate of 55 to 60 bpm

8. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. I have had this experience lol."You can't possibly have that blood pressure, you are a fat middle aged smoker" Then they take it 3 times and it is still low. I will tell them that is normal for me but no one listens. Any problems I have ever had with blood pressure is from it going too low. I quit smoking a year ago but my BP has not changed. 100/60 is quite normal for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cjj

cjj · Active Member

tell them to **** off

tell them to **** off, simple, job done, they wont be back in such a hurry.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook