Defatizing with Optislim by Patch

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day One - Monday 25th July

Starting Weight: (Weigh in will be Monday mornings.)
241.lbs (~110Kg)

Breakfast:
1 Optislim Banana Shake (8am)

Fasting BG:
11.8mmol/L (8am)

+1hr BG:
18.5mmol/L (9am - OUCH!)

+2hr BG:
15.7mmol/L (10am)

Very sweet shake, but a nice taste to it. Gonna take some getting used to, as I have not eaten breakfast in the past. +1hr BG was not a great shock - Optislim shakes have around 20g of carbs in them! Did feel a little queezy (a little sick) for about an hour in the morning, but it did go away. This may be because I did not let the shake sit for 5 mins before drinking it.

See if the sickness comes back after my lunch shake.

Bottle of water on my desk - 1L down already.

Lunch:
1 Strawberry Optislim shake. (12pm)

Pre-meal BG:
14.9mmol/L

+1hr BG:
16.2mmol/L

+2hr BG:
12.6mmol/L

The Strawberry shake is not as sweet as the Banana shake (but still sweet!). Leaving it to sit for 5 mins seems to thicken it slightly, but give it a slightly grainier texture. Tastes nice. No sickness.

This afternoon will be the test for me. Going without food until 12pm is not hard for me, but an afternoon at work without food in my belly is a bit daunting! Also - I look forward to my evening meal, but with that only being a shake too, I wonder how that will effect me.

Dinner:
1 Creamy Chicken Optislim soup. (12pm)

Pre-meal BG:
9.6mmol/L

+1hr BG:
13.1mmol/L

+2hr BG:
13.1mmol/L

The creamy chicken soup TASTES fine. BUT - it's got a strange "bitty" texture (more coarse than the strawberry shake).

It did leave me hungry - so I also had a mug of Beef Oxo, and a mug of Chicken Oxo. That seemed to do the trick!

-

I plan to go at this "de-fatizing" (Copyright Kenny, 2011 :wink: ) as strickly as possible for 2 weeks. For me, that means 3 shakes a day, with no veggies. I'll introduces veggies (stir fried/soup/sald, etc...) after the initial 2 weeks.

EDIT: See also Kenny's thread "De-fatizing with Herbalife by Kenny" here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22832&hilit=kenny

EDIT2: I bought two of these (one for work, one for home) at Wilko's for £1 each. Perfect size for making, and drinking shakes from:

http://www.addis.co.uk/product_detail.p ... ant_id=228

For the benefit of anyone who would like to follow this diet, we wish to add that Diabetes UK, who funded the study, have advised against going on the diet without medical supervision:

Diabetes UK strongly recommends that such a drastic diet should only be undertaken under medical supervision.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press ... 2-diabetes

Benedict

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can confirm that as of 15:45pm I am absolutely RAVENOUS!!!! Looking forward to my soup at about 6pm tonight.

My original plan of foregoing the veg for a fortnight is in jeapardy unless this Optifast soup is actually filling. I can see me nailing a couple of cups of chicken stock tonight too.

WhitbyJet

Patch, apologies, I only saw the thread just now.

I once did a 40 day fast, its darn difficult to do when there is temptation all around you, when you have work commitments, etc
I succeeded only because I took myself off to a remote cottage, no food there apart from the fasting food; not having a car to hand I would have had to walk for miles to the nearest pub/shop to get something to eat.
Dont watch TV, those food adverts, those food programmes that normally leave you cold, bounce out at you, so much so that you can actually get wafts of the aroma. Cruel, cruel it was.

You need a buddy, someone to support you through it, someone you can call at any time day or night. You need a wall chart, cross off the days, in front of you, dont think ahead, get through today, never mind what tomorrow brings, dont think about it.

Let go of your emotions, anger, frustrations, you need that buddy to be strong.

Good luck with it all.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
You can Skype me if you need to Patch! My night is your day and vice versa.
Have a look for the Optifast support group on line, they do have a forum there with yummy allowable food suggestions from people undergoing the regime.
The vegetarian San Bouy Chow (?) .sounds delicious.
The benefits make it all worth it.
Alison

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day Two - Tuesday 26th July

Breakfast:
1 Optislim French Vanilla Shake (8am)

Fasting BG:
10mmol/L (8am)

+1hr BG:
15.2mmol/L (9am)

+2hr BG:
11.5mmol/L (10am)

Nice shake - I left it to stand for 5 mins after I'd shaken it, and it came out lovely and smooth. The nicest one I've tried so far. Not too sweet (but still 21g of carbs!). Slept fine last night - I was worried that I'd be so hungry that I wouldn't be able to sleep! Not the case.

Lunch:
1 Optislim Caramel Shake (12pm)

Fasting BG:
10.8mmol/L (12pm)

+1hr BG:
13.4mmol/L (1pm)

+2hr BG:
11.5mmol/L (2pm)

Caramel shake is quite nice tasting, and the least sweet I've had so far. I'm diluting them a little more than they say (I sue around 300ml instead of 200ml) so it's more like a milk drink than a shake.

Those 2 extra mouthfuls make ALL the difference. :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Leading up to lunch today (from about 11am) I couldn't get food off my mind. This is going to be a difficult diet to stick to. I'd better stock 'up (PUN DEFINITELY INTENDED! :lol: ) on Beef and Chicken Oxo. I'm quite sure I can manage during the day - but on an evening (when I usually either snack or have supper (lo-carb)) I'll need the stock to keep my hands (and tastebuds) occupied.

I've got a couple of projects on the go too, to keep me busy (and out of the kitchen!!!) on an evening.

I also found some Vanadium w/Chromium that I bought a while back. Gonna take one each morning after my shake. Chromium is supposed to be good for BG levels, and weight loss. They're 200mcg of Chromium, and 1mg of Vanadium. Optislim shakes already have 33mcg of chromiun in them, so I'm getting around 200% RDA for Chromium...

Dinner:
1 Optislim Tomatoe Soup(12pm)

Pre-meal BG:
9.5mmol/L (6pm)

+1hr BG:
10.0mmol/L (7pm)

+2hr BG:
10.0mmol/L (8pm)

Tomatoe soup is quite nice. Still a bit grainy, but tasty. Couldn't stop thinking of food in bed again, though! :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Clearviews - I've found the Optislim site and registered. I'll CERTAINLY be using the recipes once I move on to eating some veg!

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Its like watching the space shuttle Lift-off :D
You can see why a few dropped out on the Org study

I reckon your the type that do the distance Patch a few moans along the road but True grit in the end

Keep going

Bob

thediabeticswife

They did say that they picked candidates for the trial based on their commitment and determination (I'm probably paraphrasing), so I reckon that Patch will be the sort to hang on in there.* It is wonderful being able to read along practically in real-time with someone doing this!

*This has been gleaned from my 5 minutes on the site.

RussG

Can't say I'd want to join you, Patch, but kudos to you for giving it a go. I reckon you need an emergency number to call when the red mist descends and you find yourself in a weakened state sat on the kitchen floor at 3am trying to rip open a packet of dry supernoodles with your teeth. Remember, Patch, we're there for you. I mean, not at 3am obviously. Try to flip out during working hours if you can... :D

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Patch,

Good luck with this - but it does sound a bit barking? On this you are on 60 carbs a day and just drinking these 'shakes'. Sounds awful; also they seem to be fast acting sugars so are shooting your levels up.

Why not, when you've finished your run at this, try doing Atkins induction at about 30 carbs a day plus, you know, food, and see how that compares?

Do you have ketone test strips? If so what are they saying?

I forget whether you are on Metformin, but I guarantee if you take them and do Atkins induction you'll drop weight like, er someone who drops things a lot.

Best

Dillinger

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The plan is to get back on lo-carb (Atkins Induction) as soon as the weight is off. I'm also gonna start having breakfast every day! (Even if it's just a couple of slices of sandwich meat, or a frankfurter).

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been looking at the contents of the Optislim packs, and besides all of the vitamins and minerals, etc... they are very similar to the protein shakes that body builders use.

My question is - do the vitamins and minerals in Optislim have a significant effect on weight loss? Would replacing some of the Optislim shakes, with a similar Protein shake induce the same rate of weight loss? Or would the reduction in vits/minerals force the body into starvation mode, reducing weight loss?

I'd even wonder if you would lose MORE weight using protein shakes (as you can buy protein shakes with <2g carbs per serving).

Does the addition of all of the vits/minerals in Optislim STOP the body going into starvation mode? Does Optislim convince the body that nutrients are available, and so the weight continues to come off, even though calories are restricted?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Kenny! Looks like 6 days is "the wall", eh?

My weigh in day is Monday - so that'll be 7 days. I'm gonna need all the luck I can get to get there! :wink:

Unbeliever

My eye condition, steamed up magnifying glass or both often make me dyslexic. I have just read he title of this thread as "Defatizing with OPTIMISM by Patch"

Maybe still quite apt. Best wishes anyhow, Patch.
How is it that knowing that DUK don't want anyone to try this without medical supervision suddenly makes me feel like encouraging people o do so even though I have previously said exactly the same thing?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day Three - Wednesday 27th July

Breakfast:

1 Optislim Royal Chocolate Shake (8am)

Fasting BG:
8.5mmol/L (7:30am)

+1hr BG:
14.7mmol/L (8:30am)

+3.5hr BG: <Forgot to take my +2hr reading... :x
10.7mmol/L (11am)

Chocolate shake is nice. Into my 3rd day with NO food, and PLENTY of water (min. 3L per day). It's easier than I thought (but more difficult than I'd hoped!). I'm determined to reach next Monday morning (and my first weigh in!) without eating any solid food. I know veggies are allowed - but I'm serious about de-fatizing my liver/pancreas, and this, I think (hope?) is the best way to do it!

Lunch:
1 Optislim Banana Shake (8am)

Pre-meal BG:
10.4mmol/L (12pm)

+1hr BG:
11.6mmol/L (1pm)

+2hr BG:
9.7mmol/L (2pm)

The Banana shake didn't taste as bad as I remember it (from Monday). Certainly less sweet. Probably due to the fact that I usually don't eat any sweet foods, and the first shake was a shock to my taste buds!

Still thinking quite a lot about eating. Not about any specific food - just about putting something in my mouth and chewing and swallowing it. This seems a little odd, actually, because on previous diets I've craved things like pizza, or burgers, or rice, or pasta.

I do have some sugar free gum which I've been having occassionally.

Dinner:
1 Optislim Chicken Soup(6pm)

Pre-meal BG:
7.9mmol/L (6pm)

+1hr BG:
11.2mmol/L (7pm)

+2hr BG:
11.6mmol/L (8pm)

Okay - the chicken soup is ****. I really don't like it. It's really grainy. It tastes like horlics with chicken bones in it. I tried adding a vegetable stock cube to it to try to improve the taste, but no luck. Nowhere near as nice as the Tomatoe (which is only okay...)

Still snacking on a mug of Oxo during the evening.

I am considering dropping the Optislim soup on an evening and making my own soup for dinner. I'll use recipes from the study, which I'm sure will be effective in helping me in losing even MORE weight. The soup recipes are VERY lo-carb, and I sure like the idea of cutting an extra 20g of carbs from my daily intake. It'll also reduce my total daily calories...

Another tough night, but still no solid food. I've never gone 3 days without eating, and I'm happy with how it's going.