Defatizing with Optislim by Patch

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
It is certainly doable with your determination, Patch. In my opinion you are definately going the right way and your figures are showing improvement daily. Once you have defatted your whatevers a low carb option is really a no brainer to protect and continue the healing of your pancreas. I have no illusions that I could ever pass an OGTT but comfortable with my lifestyle and living with T2.
All power to you. :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks clearviews - I really appreciate all of your support recently. :mrgreen:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day Five- Friday 29th July

Breakfast:
1 Optislim Strawberry Shake (8:15am)

Fasting BG:
7.7mmol/L (8:15am)

+1hr BG:
?mmol/L (9:15am)

+2hr BG:
10.6mmol/L (10:15am)

I was in a bit of a rush today, so I mixed the shake a little thicker than I usually do it (using the ~200ml they suggest) and I have to say I prefer it as a milky drink more than a thick shake. Even letting it sit for a while didn't make a difference.

Fasting BG was the lowest it's been for a LONG TIME - and that is considering that I didn't have dinner last night (see Day Four info). I also felt really good this morning (after a slow start trying to wake up!) I've still not had ANY negative side effects of going on a purely liquid diet.

Lunch:
1 Optislim French Vanilla Shake (8:15am)

Pre-meal:
8.4mmol/L (12:15pm)

+1hr BG:
11.2mmol/L (1:15pm)

+2hr BG:
9.0mmol/L (2:15pm)

I really like the French Vanilla Shakes. I've got the mixing of shakes down to a tee! Mix the sachet with ~300ml of cold water, close the lid and shake. Let rest for 5mins, then shake again. Let rest for 5mins, then shake and enjoy (slowly!).

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Check it out - my BG for the first 5 days:

DEFINITELY going in the right direction!!!!

It's the graph for WEIGHT that I'm interested in!!!

Attachments

• Week 1 BG Monitor.jpg
    Week 1 BG Monitor.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8,049

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
looks like weekend should put you in the Green Zone :p (was that a film?)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I sure hope so!

"The Green Mile" was a GREAT film.

Attachments

• tlqV9gEnY_200.jpg
    tlqV9gEnY_200.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 7,276

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Looking good man. Need to start photoshopping some weight off that Avatar.

Martha1

Hi Patch,

I only noticed this discussion this morning, but have been captivated by what you are doing!

I too have used the Optislim shakes and found it made a huge difference to my weight and blood glucose levels, but it's meant to be a low calorie diet not a VLCD. My understanding is that you shoud replace just 2 meals per day with the shakes and then have a balanced meal and 2 snacks, totalling around 1200 calories per day. I wanted to do the VLCD but it's not available in the UK as yet. Did you log onto cluboptislim? That was really helpful for me and helped me to change my whole lifestyle in order to lose weight long term. Ask them for advice, customer service are really helpful.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Martha1
This is the diet the boys are trying to keep as near as they can
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

This is the paper that kicked it all off
http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/Lim.pdf

The diet you were on is more like the 2nd phase you may follow after the 8 weeks spent on on 600kcal plus veg

Press release
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes
In an early stage clinical trial of 11 people, funded by Diabetes UK, all reversed their diabetes by drastically cutting their food intake to just 600 calories a day for two months. And three months later, seven remained free of diabetes.

ernie100

Hiya
I have ordered Optifast but it wont come for week or so.....so have been using Tony Ferguson sachets sold by boots...as far as I can see much the same contents.
I vary between 2 and 3 shakes a day.......today I had a shake for breakfast with 2 carrots. For lunch a big bowl of tomato and red pepper soup (homemade yum) with a tomato, mushroom and onion salad and lost of leaves etc (the soup and salad eaten about 2 hours apart)......dressed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar.....all allowed stuff...no shake then.
tonight I will have a shake and some raw carrots and cauliflower.........So I treat the lunchtime meal as the treat .....(with some exercise before eg a swim etc before the meal)....so guys you dont have to starve or eat bland stuff.....as long as you have plenty of exercise and stick to the diet ...also just make a big bowl of veggie soup to use over several days....add chillie to it if you want a curry experience.....
Seems that I have dropped more than 6 lbs in 4 days...and am felling ok...but slightly more tired.....wondering when I should start reducing my metformin or should I wait until I see the nurse next Wednesday (9 days after the start of the diet). Hmmm will check my fasting level tomorrow to see...(before diet 7.5 so don't check very often)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
You should really add in the veg Patch. 200 kcal of brocolli is a lot, really helps with the hunger.

I feel fantastic on Day 2. Drank my breakfast shake before running and then did a personal best, possibly due to having 20g of carb sloshing round my veins.

ernie100

Ok at almost 1 week after starting this crazy programme/diet of 600 cals per day plus 200 of veg......

Still feeling muzzy in the head, but don't get the light headiness if don't eat something every 4 hours...generally it feels as if something to do with my blood is more stable....if that makes sense ?

Still some hunger but very much in background now.

So for the last week have lost 12 lbs and my glucose fasting level is 6.2 (it was 7.6). ...mmm not as a much a fall as I was expecting (compared with the study I am just within the experienced range)but it at least is going in the right direction

Overall feeling tons better......now I am off the search for a carrot!!!!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The downward slope on my fasting BG's continued over the weekend - and down into the Green Zone!!! Dead happy with that!

Day Six - Saturday 30th July

Fasting (11am)
6.2mmol/L

+1hr (12pm)
11.4mmol/L

+2HR (1pm) <Forgot to measure...
? mmol/L

Weekends are HARD! Stayed in Friday and Saturday night, and didn't stray from 3 shakes and 3L of water at all.

The water makes a hell of a differenc. I've always known that, but know I know it for sure! Whenever I get a hunger pang I just grab a bottle of water and relax with it. It definitely takes my mind off of food.

The shakes are pushing my +1hr reading up. I'm concerned about hopw much sugar (20g) there are in each shake/soup. Considering changing to a lo-carb protein powder combined with an A-Z mulitvitamin once the Optislim has run out.

Day Seven - Sunday 31st July

Fasting (10am)
6.3mmol/L

+1hr (11am)
10.4mmol/L

+2HR (12pm) <Forgot to measure...
? mmol/L

Bed Time (11pm)
5.8mmol/L

Just glad to get the weekend behind me!!! Also checked my BG before I went to bed on Sunday. Got a reading of 5.8mmol/L. I did this to get an idea of the difference between my Bed Time reading and the following fasting reading.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day Eight - Monday 01st August

Weight:
231.2lbs (~104.9Kg)

Weight Loss:
10lbs (4.5kg) :D

Breakfast:
1 Optislim Chocolate Shake (8am)

Fasting BG:
5.9mmol/L (8am)

+1hr BG:
11.7mmol/L (9am)

+2hr BG:
7.9mmol/L (10am)

Absolutely DELIGHTED with a 10lb weight loss in the first week! They said from the study that around 65% of first week weight loss is fat - so lets say I've lost 6.5lbs of FAT.

I'm chuffed. Definitely makes the hardship of the weekend worth it!

Also - my fasting BG is only 0.1mmol/L higher this morning than it was before bed last night. More good news! Heading for FBG's of <5mmol/L. Then I'll be laughing.

One week down. Maximum 11 weeks left!

I've got a weekend away with the boys on 12th August - so that'll be a BIG test. There will be drinking. My plan is to have a lo-carb breakfast (Sausage, Bacon, Mushrooms, egg), then sneak off to boots for an Atkins shake for lunch, the steak/chicken w/salad for dinner. The hotel has a gym and a pool, so I'll probably do some excercise to burn off the booze! :wink:

Maybe...

Lunch:
1 Optislim French Vanilla Shake (12pm)

Pre-meal BG:
7.1mmol/L (12pm)

+1hr BG:
9.0mmol/L (1pm)

+2hr BG:
7.3mmol/L (2pm)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I also want to disclose something here. :oops:

I stopped taking all of my diabetes medication (Gliclazide and Insultard) on Day One of this Optislim program.

I know I've been a bad boy - but for as long as my numbers are heading down, I don't wanna do anything to confuse my Liver OR Pancreas.

RussG

And that's why this sort of diet should only be attempted under medical supervision.

Patch, with the greatest of respect, you're not medically qualified to make these sorts of judgements. I am concerned about anyone stopping taking medication unless given proper advice to do so, but particularly so in this case.

I can only recommend that you discuss this with your doctor.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a big boy. :wink:

And if the Dr.'s can't tell me why my liver and pancreas aren't working properly together (and believe me, I've asked them 'til I'm blue in the face) why would I listen to them on this?

I haven't got as much faith in my HCP team as others around here.

So, with respect, leave me to it. It's working.

RussG

Patch, if you want to be 'left to it' might I suggest that posting your experiences and confessions on the internet isn't probably the best way to go about it.

If you read what I said, I didn't say you shouldn't do it, but you should seek medical advice. I'll stand by that statement till the cows come home.

Kenny

Ignore 'em Patch m8. They're all [mod edit: personal comment].

The way this has been edited might lead some to think I had posted a four letter word. I didn't. The word I used was 'sheep'.