Dementia

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother has type 2 diabetes which was uncontrolled even with medication for a long time(28 years). Now due to low carbing sugars are in prediabetic range. She has had CABG also 18 years ago. She is 65 now with renal failure and on dialysis. Her dementia is deteriorating.
Are there any medications to control it?

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother(65 yrs) passed on yesterday. She was type2 diabetic for 28 yrs and her sugars were mostly uncontrolled even with medication. Last couple of years she had end stage kidney failure and dementia also started. Last couple of months her dementia worsened, she became immobile , unable to eat, slowly breathing became difficult.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother(65 yrs) passed on yesterday. She was type2 diabetic for 28 yrs and her sugars were mostly uncontrolled even with medication. Last couple of years she had end stage kidney failure and dementia also started. Last couple of months her dementia worsened, she became immobile , unable to eat, slowly breathing became difficult.
I am very sorry for your loss its never easy to lose a mother. 28 years ago there likely wasn’t as much info and good advice available to diabetics. There are often other factors that cause a premature death. Simply from my own experience keep a happy photo of her or both of you nearby and remember the good times knowing she is now at peace. Be very kind to yourself.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Last couple of months her dementia worsened, she became immobile , unable to eat, slowly breathing became difficult.
I'm so sorry you've lost your mother. Unfortunately dementia in particular is a very cruel illness and there doesn't seem much that can be done for it (now anyway, though things may well be better in the future.)

I still miss my mother (died 12 years ago) but I like to remember the good times we had together and talk about her with other family members. Please try to be kind to yourself during this particularly hard initial grieving period.

Sending some virtual hugs.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. I hope you've got good support from family and friends at this sad time.

Love and hugs, and take care of yourself. One day at a time for now xx

• Hug
Reactions: saky

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So so sorry to hear about your mum dying. I lost my mum 18 months ago with end stage kidney disease. She had also had diabetes type 2 for thirty years and like your mum also improved her sugar control by low carbing and moved into diabetes remission but unfortunately her kidney disease although progressed slower had obviously progressed too far to turn it back. We were very lucky though to have her until the age of 91 and she was spared dementia.
Look after yourself - our mums are very special and I miss mine every day. Big hug from me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, @saky . I hope in time you will be able to remember the happier times.

Be kind to yourself.

• Hug
Reactions: saky and Hopeful34

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for your loss @saky . My father had type 2 complicated with vascular dementia.

You have my sincere condolences & best wishes..

• Hug

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m so sorry for your loss @saky, I lost my dad to dementia, he also had Lois body dementia, it’s a cruel disease all round May your mum rest in peace

• Hug

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So so sorry to hear about your mum dying. I lost my mum 18 months ago with end stage kidney disease. She had also had diabetes type 2 for thirty years and like your mum also improved her sugar control by low carbing and moved into diabetes remission but unfortunately her kidney disease although progressed slower had obviously progressed too far to turn it back. We were very lucky though to have her until the age of 91 and she was spared dementia.
Look after yourself - our mums are very special and I miss mine every day. Big hug from me.
Even am.low carbing gor prediabetes. My microalbumin is 7.5ug/g of creatinine which is good . creatinine 0.51 hba1c in nirmal.range 5 to 5.5%
Will i Still get kidney disease?

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for your loss @saky . My father had type 2 complicated with vascular dementia.

You have my sincere condolences & best wishes..
My mum also had vascular dementia. Got her brain scan.done when she was hospitalised.
Will get a brain.scan done for myself too .....

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very sorry for your loss its never easy to lose a mother. 28 years ago there likely wasn’t as much info and good advice available to diabetics. There are often other factors that cause a premature death. Simply from my own experience keep a happy photo of her or both of you nearby and remember the good times knowing she is now at peace. Be very kind to yourself.
True. There was no knowledge about diabetes remission or low carbing in 90s or 2000s.
During her last years(2yrs) i did low carbing and it worked. Sugars dropped without insulin or medication. Her kidney disese was advanced by then and dialysis was difficult and painful. As long as she was there, we took good care and took her for checkups and hospitals.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m so sorry for your loss @saky, I lost my dad to dementia, he also had Lois body dementia, it’s a cruel disease all round May your mum rest in peace
Yes. It is very cruel. No much research is there about diabetes and vascular dementia

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, @saky . I hope in time you will be able to remember the happier times.

Be kind to yourself.
Yes. I did my best. Mom lived a good life for 65 yrs with good medical care, supportive husband, 2 lovely grown kids.
Many attended her funeral including street hawkers, neighbours, family members, relatives.....Gave her a decent send off. This makes me happy. She will be remembered always.
In this process, i too have matured. People with whom she fought also attended her funeral. i Have learnt not to harbour grudges or resentment for long.
I got emotional support from friends and mom's sisters.Am grateful for that.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm so sorry your Mother has died @saky. My late Mother suffered from Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia in her declining years. It's a cruel disease, but you took good care of her. Be kind to yourself and remember the good times knowing she is now at peace.

• Hug