Dental Infections and Type 2's

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As some of you know, I have been having recurrent tooth infections for 11 weeks now.

I have had root canal on the affected tooth, and it still hasn't removed the infection.

I am now on my 6th course of antibiotics - really strong ones this time, and facing losing my tooth. It is a big, lower left tooth and I need it for chewing.

As this sort of problem with infections hasn't happened to me before, I wondered if anyone knows if we are more susceptible to dental problems as Diabetics, and, if so, if anything can be done about it?

And has anyone had a successful implant without getting infections?

My blood glucose control is very good.

millersunited

I have gone 40 years with nothing being done to my teeth, now after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, i am beginning to suffer with gum problems and infection that have taken ages to heal. People would probably argue with me and say its age, i would disagree as i believe that diabetes must play a part. My sugars are quite well controlled.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MichM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi again @lucylocket61
Interesting this, as I have had 9 abscesses in 4 months! Antibiotics after antibiotics and then some, cleaned with root planning and still suffer! Never had issues before. This was the precursor to my TN that you replied to earlier. At the moment, I have been told it is a result of my diabetes. That I should have no implant and tooth/teeth removed as the diabetes has allowed for periodontal disease.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again @lucylocket61
Interesting this, as I have had 9 abscesses in 4 months! Antibiotics after antibiotics and then some, cleaned with root planning and still suffer! Never had issues before. This was the precursor to my TN that you replied to earlier. At the moment, I have been told it is a result of my diabetes. That I should have no implant and tooth/teeth removed as the diabetes has allowed for periodontal disease.
how long have you been type 1?

MichM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And you know. Originally I was diagnosed with TMJ. I was in so much pain with infection and abscess that I was clenching a lot to probably safeguard pain as they say. I had a dental mouth guard made at a hefty price. Made a bit of difference. I have seen that TN can result from dental issues too
Food for thought? Dentist says TMJ, GP says TN sighs sights and then sighs some more. I work in research and have researched this thoroughly. It’s an interesting thing that TN is reported from bite issues after infections and teeth extractions?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, high blood sugars definitely make people more susceptible to tooth infections, and particularly gum disease. But, my T2 88 year old father has had some successful tooth implants, so it's not out of the question for T2s (I think his hba1cs tend to run in low 50s).

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I was diagnosed in 2001 and through constant high BGs I was diagnosed with periodontal disease in 2005. I have had treatment all the way through to 2014. It wasn't nice because I have had teeth pulled out because it was beyond saving :( It was also the fact that they take too long to see me, so I was suffering with infections for weeks while waiting for an 8 week appointment and sometimes they didn't even send me appointments for follow ups. However when my BG was a lot better and HBA1c was better, I was referred for orthodontic treatment in 2012-2013. They wouldn't have referred me for ortho because high BGs would pop the teeth out due to gum pocketing and bone loss.

I was happy up until then, my teeth still aren't perfect. I was told they would consider T1 patients for implants if a - their dental hygiene is above standards and b - their diabetic control is managed very well, good HBA1c etc. I have also heard theres some new technology to patch up bone loss or restore bone loss etc, but that's about it.
Moreover, I haven't had any dental infections since diabetes is better now.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61 - the success, or their wise, of an implant will depend on a number of factors, including, but not exhaustively:

- Why the natural tooth was lost
- whether infection were cleared, prior to implantation
- Smoker status
- quality of oral hygiene
- quality of the implantation process
- to an extent,..... luck!

Sadly, lower, multiple- rooted teeth are challenges as far as root treatments are concerned. Two roots double the chances of a recurrent or non- cleared infection. Gravity helps keep the infection in, whereas upper teeth tend to have a natural drainage advantage.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
@lucylocket61 - the success, or their wise, of an implant will depend on a number of factors, including, but not exhaustively:

- Why the natural tooth was lost
- whether infection were cleared, prior to implantation
- Smoker status
- quality of oral hygiene
- quality of the implantation process
- to an extent,..... luck!

Sadly, lower, multiple- rooted teeth are challenges as far as root treatments are concerned. Two roots double the chances of a recurrent or non- cleared infection. Gravity helps keep the infection in, whereas upper teeth tend to have a natural drainage advantage.
Makes sense