Depressed, bedridden and totally fed up

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've fell off the D wagon and been bedridden for 6 weeks after taking a massive fall whilst hiking. Being in hospital has been absolutely dreadful and I've succumbed back to eating carbs for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks inbetween. I'm back to eating what my mum makes and buys, she has been given a list by the dietitian of what I should eat and it's all the wrong foods. I can't do nothing about it as I'm still bedridden and my blood sugar levels are fluctuating a lot between low and highs.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to,hear about your fall @akindrat18 I hope you're recovering gradually.

I think,you're on insulin? Could you ask your mum to bring you foods that suit you and say it's because you're adjusting your carb counting or something?

Could you set yourself an amount of carbs for,each meal,and then only eat that amount however much is on your plate? Your mum might serve up less if she sees you'll be leaving it anyway.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
How long will you be bedridden? Is the end in sight yet?

Reactions: JohnEGreen

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It may be helpful to get your mom on this forum. If she is the one preparing meals for you more knowledge and support for her as well can only be good for you both. Best you work on this as a team. Hope you are feeling better and back out hiking soon.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear you had a fall. I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope your mum can be more considerate about your health rather than feeding you all the comfort foods. You need to get better and not more sick. Tell her having high blood sugar will slow down your recovery, that may make her realise she needs to be careful with what she feeds you.

Reactions: Prem51

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I can't do nothing about it as I'm still bedridden and my blood sugar levels are fluctuating a lot between low and highs.

Sorry to hear of your fall. It's a shame that to benefit your health you have to be a stroppy ******. You have to lay the law down, surely even your mum would have noticed the benefits to following a lower carb diet and you have to get her on board with the plan.

If you're eating what the dietician says and your BG is all over the place, I wonder what that means? Stick to your guns and do what's best for you, nobody else, what's best for you.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @akindrat18 I was wondering how you were getting on. Sorry to hear things are not so good right now. You need to remember this is just a temporary setback. We all have those. This is simply down to circumstances and not really you falling off the wagon . When I went to hospital (just one night there and 2 weeks bed rest after) I also fell off the wagon for quite a few weeks. It's difficult to stay on it when all they give you is carbs! Plus you don't feel fit enough to argue. So don't beat yourself up. This is just a glitch, which unlike some of your previous glitches, is not your fault. Take heart from that.

I agree with all of the above posts. You must be feeling a little better now because you have posted and must therefore be willing to try again. Can you start again right now? The sooner the better. I would take what your Mum gives you and leave the bad carbs. If she gives you a cheese sandwich leave the bread and if she gives you sausage and mash leave the mash etc. If she moans just tell her the bread/mash is leaving you feeling tired and drained(or whatever carbs usually do to you) I usually find I'm hungrier later if I eat the whole sandwich than if I just have the cheese. You won't need a lot of calories if you are bedridden so you could use this to your advantage until you are able to go and shop for yourself.

You can rectify this situation, but please start now, because the sooner you do the easier it will be for you. I know this to be true because I fell off the wagon myself on holiday in Sept and took a long time to sort myself out. You're not the only one who does this, but you are the only own who can help yourself.....(and yes I am talking to myself here too)

You know you can do this because you have done it before. You know that as a T2 the less carbs you have the easier it is to calculate your insulin requirements and therefore the less chances of a dangerous hypo. One massive effort and you can be back where you were very soon. Keep in touch. I am looking forward to hearing that you have turned this mishap around.

Oh and get well soon. :)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Im doing a lot better now. I am up and moving about, but I've suffered another setback and got sent to hospital on Tuesday after having some blood tests. Received a phone call saying I've got a high sodium count and that I need to be put on a drip asap.

Good news is that I'm back out, moving a lot more now and had my medication changed as I'm now on Victoza. The doctor advised me to lower my fat intake as my cholesterol is high and to have a varied diet. My mum has also been told this by the doctor and to also make sure that I take my meds properly.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Im doing a lot better now. I am up and moving about, but I've suffered another setback and got sent to hospital on Tuesday after having some blood tests. Received a phone call saying I've got a high sodium count and that I need to be put on a drip asap.

Good news is that I'm back out, moving a lot more now and had my medication changed as I'm now on Victoza. The doctor advised me to lower my fat intake as my cholesterol is high and to have a varied diet. My mum has also been told this by the doctor and to also make sure that I take my meds properly.
Progress! Good job.