Depressed what is wrong with me

Sue Morton

Just before Christmas it hit home hard what being a diabetic is all about. Since then I have got more and more depressed about it all. I even get depressed coming on site and reading the problems everyone has and haven't been coming onto the site much at all as I just couldn't face it.

There are other things in my life that aren't helping, my husband resents the fact that I retired at the end of July (aged 61) he is 2.1/2 years younger then me (toy boy) and he has been really nasty about me saying that I am lazy and to get a job where we live (I used to work 54 miles away so drove 108 miles a day getting up at 20pass 4 every morning did a days work as a secretary and then drove home I do all the house work and shopping whilst every weekend he would lye in bed till 11ish and then get up and go to the pub come home have his meal and the same on Sunday never helped in the house or anything he has in the last 2 years occassionally washed up). I have been the main bread winner earning a lot more then him buying all the furniture cookers curtains food but he does go half on the mortgage, gas electric, community tax, water etc bills, which leaves him with around £150.00 per week to spend on himself. He drinks a lot and since my retiring has been drunk most weekends and becomes very abusive and tries to degrad me. A couple of times in the pass 6 weeks it has come close to his being violent. (We did split up because of this before).

On Jan 4th I had my eye lazered because I had several blood clots behind my right eye at first there was only 1 which was diagnosed in July and when I went back in November he saw that more were there so they were lazered. Since then which I believe is through the stress he is putting me under my eye is getting this like bubble effect or like smoke coming up from a cigerette. I have been keeping my BS under control and working hard at it. I do have a blood condition which is incurable and is controlled by having a pint of blood removed every 2mths and high blood pressure controlled by tablets (think 2005) just before I started the tablets my eye was terribly blood shot and went to the docs and he said I had high blood pressure and was put on tablets and haven't had one since. I don't understand it about the clots in my eye as I have keep my BG down and test regularly and spoke to the consultant I see over my blood and said is it because of the blood disease I have he said no it was the diabetics but if I am keeping it under control why have them other clots appeared? Would stress do it?

It just seems that every thing you see in the shops I can't eat and feel frustrated over it. I was really good at Christmas had 1 chocolate as my BS was 4.9 I thought I could stand having 1.

I just cannot shake off this feeling depression. Tomorrow I have too go to the hospital to have my bladder looked at as I had a cancer tumour in it 2 years ago and last Feb they thought it was coming back and in July they courterised the spots and anaylised it and it was free of cancer so hopefully tomorrow I will find that I am still free.

I am also due my 6 month diabetis check up but haven't heard yet so may be I need to phone up the docs. I just feel so overwhelmed by this diabetics and feel like going out and just gourging myself with all the things I can't eat, but I wont and will carry one.

I just wonder how people have carried on over the years it feels like a prison sentence.

Sorry about this being so long there is lots more I would love to get off my chest thank you to anyone that reads this and replies

Sue :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sue.
Seems like you have an awful lot going on at the moment which on the face of it is getting you down. Stress in itself is not good for anybody and will also depress you at times.

Not a lot I can say or do but just let you know that there are people here who will offer you help and support in whatever way we can.

As for Marital problems.......have you thought about marriage guidance counselling ? Try to resolve the issues that you both have before it gets out of hand. This can help some people. Talking to a complete stranger is often a good way of 'offloading' all the cr*p in our lives !

Depression is something that I have plenty of experience of........was some years ago but at the time some counselling helped me greatly and allowed me to feel that there was a purpose and a reason to life. This is something that you could ask your GP for help with.

The problem is when we get problems in our life many of us try to shut them out rather than deal with them. So now your Diabetes is also an issue. Try and resolve the problems in your home life first, then deal with the Diabetes........prioritise the problems.

Hope things get better for you and you get your life back on track........

dib

May I respectfully suggest that you and your partner seek relationship counselling as part of the remedy for your depression?

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
So sorry that life hasnt been very kind to you Sue . I think that when all is going well in other areas, we can deal with diabetes but when other problems create worry , trauma and distress , diabetes just becomes too much to cope with on top of it all . I would also suggest couselling which your Doctor could refer you for , you need to express your sorrow in order to deal with it, good luck x

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)
hi sue,
so sorry to read all the things going on in your life at the moment,
we are always here to listen even if we can not advise,
i wont go into details but over 24 years ago i had similar problems with my now ex and re married and have been happy for the past nearly 22 years,
try to work it out with your hubby maybe he is finding it hard to accept your illnesses and is worried but finds it hard to tell you.
brst wishes
Rob. :(

alpha7

Hi,
When first diagnosed I felt like that. Like the sword of Damocles hanging over me, Just awful. But when the levels came under control I felt it was kind of again. That was some 2 years ago and now a reading is up and worries starting again... You are not alone in feeling as you do. Maybe that thought is some help for you although I don't have specific advice for you right now - sorry.

Sue Morton

Thank you all for your comments but my husband would never go to a counselor. I have got things off my chest and this has made me feel a bit better the worst is that i couldn't cry but have now had a good cry and feel better for it. Hopefully I will have some good news tomorrow and I know that will cheer me up. I have to make a decision about my husband and try and discuss things with him and then take it from there.

thank you
Sue :)

primmers

Sue, not sure if this is allowed but I'll try it anyway. It's a thread on a BBC messageboard and deals with difficult relationships, you might find some food for thought and support over there.

bbc.co.uk/dna/mbarchers/NF2693944?thread=7232859

primmers

hobnail

Sorry about this being so long there is lots more I would love to get off my chest thank you to anyone that reads this and replies.

Under the circumstances,
I would say there was something wrong with you if you 'wasn't' depressed!
It's easy to say from here, but your fella needs telling that he isn't the only person in your relationship! 'You' need your own council-er, I.E. Someone on your side, to give you a sympathetic ear and a cup of unsweetened tea. A bit of a break, even for an afternoon a week makes all the difference.
All the best! I hope it works out for you.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go out and have a good time while he's at home on his own and see how he likes it!!
It's not fair that you were expected to do everything whilst you were working and commuting all the time so now you have more free time it's payback.....enjoy your time and if he doesn't like it he can change his ways or move out. I know it sounds harsh but why should you have to put your health second to someone who treats you like that?
You only get one chance in this life!!
Let us know how it goes, be strong.
Good luck
Angie

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Sue

It's a bad time of year for depression - the winter blues - and a lot of people including me get really down waiting for spring. I take extra Vitamin D now (there's a relevant thread current at the moment) and I feel a lot better.

Another thing - if you enjoyed your job and the people you worked with, it's possible that you could be feeling lonely. Do you have good friends in your area? Someone you could talk to? I know that's difficult - I'm sure I seem to moan a lot to my friends! - but it does help just to talk it out sometimes.

I'm about your age, and single now. I may get a bit lonely, but I don't get stressed! :wink:

Thinking of you

Viv :)