Depression reminder

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I have just had an unfortunate experience with my prescription that has meant I have been off my medication (Escitalopram) for a short time.
I have been on this drug for about 10 years and found it the most effective of all those I have tried. I have been suffering from severe clinical depression for about 30 years.
My experience is that I soon became quite ill, fuzzy headed, headachy, dizzy, nauseous. But only slight waves of actual depression. Now that the dose has ben restored, I feel better, but I don't want to do anything. My motivation has completely gone. I just did a small DIY job and it was a constant struggle forcing myself to carry on. The urge to give up was very strong and made me feel very unhappy.
No doubt the drug will start to work properly again in due course, but it's been a revealing experience.
The reason for all this is down to the GP Practice. Two months ago, they reduced my prescription from 56 tablets to 28. When I went to collect in February, the chemist said there was a problem, my online prescription request had been 'Rejected' I looked online and that was all it said, just the one word. I queried this at the GP reception and got nowhere, just an appointment in 10 days. Apparently this is their way of getting you to ask for a medication review.
I didn't argue with the receptionist, nor the GP when I saw him, but I did make sure he was aware of the facts. I just put it down to arrogance.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@BrianTheElder So sorry you had to go through that - I'm not allowed my antidepressants on repeat prescription, so if I can't get an appointment I go through exactly that.

I think you are exactly right about the arrogance of GPs - I also take two medications for a heart condition. The hospital clinic has written to the GP asking them to take over prescribing, and so I toddled off to the GP, expecting no problems. In fact, they refused to prescribe one at all, and only gave me, rather randomly, 25 days of the other.

I also think perhaps it is a system flaw - given all they can do with the computers, surely it wouldn't be too hard to flag up, if you request a prescription within 30 days of the review date, that you need to book a review appointment?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have just had an unfortunate experience with my prescription that has meant I have been off my medication (Escitalopram) for a short time.
I have been on this drug for about 10 years and found it the most effective of all those I have tried. I have been suffering from severe clinical depression for about 30 years.
My experience is that I soon became quite ill, fuzzy headed, headachy, dizzy, nauseous. But only slight waves of actual depression. Now that the dose has ben restored, I feel better, but I don't want to do anything. My motivation has completely gone. I just did a small DIY job and it was a constant struggle forcing myself to carry on. The urge to give up was very strong and made me feel very unhappy.
No doubt the drug will start to work properly again in due course, but it's been a revealing experience.
The reason for all this is down to the GP Practice. Two months ago, they reduced my prescription from 56 tablets to 28. When I went to collect in February, the chemist said there was a problem, my online prescription request had been 'Rejected' I looked online and that was all it said, just the one word. I queried this at the GP reception and got nowhere, just an appointment in 10 days. Apparently this is their way of getting you to ask for a medication review.
I didn't argue with the receptionist, nor the GP when I saw him, but I did make sure he was aware of the facts. I just put it down to arrogance.
Same med as partner.
He missed 2 a few months back and didn't reorder them nor tell me anything about it. Of course I hit the roof. GP practice were brilliant. He got more quite quickly. It took him a few weeks to start laughing/giggling again. He hid himself in bed. The house, kids and I struggled without him. Nightmare week or so.

Your practice are twit& for putting you through that. Well out of order. Have they an up-to-date tel no for you? Could they not have called and booked a review with you? I get text reminders!
I hope you tell them this when your feeling more yourself?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@BrianTheElder So sorry you had to go through that - I'm not allowed my antidepressants on repeat prescription, so if I can't get an appointment I go through exactly that.

I think you are exactly right about the arrogance of GPs - I also take two medications for a heart condition. The hospital clinic has written to the GP asking them to take over prescribing, and so I toddled off to the GP, expecting no problems. In fact, they refused to prescribe one at all, and only gave me, rather randomly, 25 days of the other.

I also think perhaps it is a system flaw - given all they can do with the computers, surely it wouldn't be too hard to flag up, if you request a prescription within 30 days of the review date, that you need to book a review appointment?
Maybe report that back to the hospital and ask to be taken back onto their prescribing regime - some doctors just are not safe.