Devastated at diagnosis

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Thank you Dr Snoddy - I’m starting to picture a day’s low-carb vegetarian eating. Do you go in for fill-fat yoghurt/cheese etc or the low-fat versions?
Full fat all the way as it is this fat is what makes you feel satisfied after eating. I know this goes against the mantra about fat that we have been sold for decades but the original research was badly flawed and should never have become part of health policy. I'm not advocating massive quantities of fat though, thinking more avocado, cold pressed olive or rapeseed oil, cheese, butter etc

Last edited:

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The line I've highlighted surprises me.
I'm type 2, there apparently was never a question of me being type 1. Or was there? Surely there is a way to know.

Not being awkward here, I genuinely don't know the answer.
Does anyone?
It's important for you because, as far as I know, there is a big difference in the way T1 and T2 are managed.

Rapid weight loss, ketones going through the roof and uncontrollable BG levels even on a low carb diet.

I was misdiagnosed as T2 purely because of my age and hba1c was 147 when I was finally told to go to A&E. Consultant was surprised I wasn't in a coma

Reactions: NicoleC1971

CDLC

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

thank you so much Dr Snoddy. I really appreciate your help.

I am thinking about perhaps introducing some fish into my diet. I have been vegetarian for years and years but I simply replaced meat and fish with more carbs, which won’t have helped my body I don’t think.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls

I am thinking about perhaps introducing some fish into my diet. I have been vegetarian for years and years but I simply replaced meat and fish with more carbs, which won’t have helped my body I don’t think.
I also now eat fish and other seafood. Most of my meals are vegetarian or vegan but fish is carbohydrate free and adds variety and improves my nutrient profile. I haven't eaten meat for 40 years and don't feel any need to do so. I have spent time researching which supermarkets stock suitable products and have appreciated all the info sharing on this forum. Give yourself time to get over the shock and to develop new eating patterns that suit you. The benefits will definitely outweigh the effort. Good luck. Xx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not sure if it is type 1 or 2. I have a significant family history of both type 1 and type 2.

the doctor said it was probably type 2 but that there is no way to know.
Just a wild thought here. With a significant family history of both T1 and T2, MODY becomes a possibility as well. It's a rarer type which tends to run in families because it's caused by a single gene mutation.
It's often misdiagnosed as both types because it takes someone noticing the family history to even think about testing for it.

Not something to act on right now, it might well turn out you'll do very well with a couple of small adjustments to your diet, proving you to be a T2, but perhaps something to keep in the back of your mind in case things don't seem to add up after a while.

Grannypat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
getting really old but I am dealing with it
Hello, I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes this morning following some blood tests.

My hb1ac is 48. I feel like my life is going to be so much more restricted now.

I’m vegetarian and am going to have to completely overhaul my diet to reduce carbohydrates - which is going to be difficult for me because I love carbohydrates. I’m going on holiday soon and I’m going to be scared to eat anything in case it raises my blood sugar levels.

I’m not sure what I am hoping for posting on here - perhaps some reassurance that you get over the shock and it gets a bit easier?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hello, I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes this morning following some blood tests.

My hb1ac is 48. I feel like my life is going to be so much more restricted now.

I’m vegetarian and am going to have to completely overhaul my diet to reduce carbohydrates - which is going to be difficult for me because I love carbohydrates. I’m going on holiday soon and I’m going to be scared to eat anything in case it raises my blood sugar levels.

I’m not sure what I am hoping for posting on here - perhaps some reassurance that you get over the shock and it gets a bit easier?
You are not that heavily into being diabetic, so with a little trimming here and there of your diet you'll kick it to the kerb. It's really just cutting down on some carbs or if possible cutting the worst ones out. I went from 68 down to 37 (non-diabetic) in only 7 weeks and believe me I HATE changing my diet :) Good luck xx

CDLC

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I am already seeing a difference in my levels when I prick my finger. However, I feel like my blood sugar is really low. I feel dizzy, sick and have a headache and my blood sugar is 5.1.

I think my body is just used to higher levels so will take some readjusting? Has anyone else had this? Thanks so much.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
However, I feel like my blood sugar is really low. I feel dizzy, sick and have a headache and my blood sugar is 5.1.

I think my body is just used to higher levels so will take some readjusting? Has anyone else had this? Thanks so much.
Yes, very normal, it's called a false hypo. Your body will get used to healthy levels again!
You might also experience some blurry vision from lowering your levels, eyes need to adjust as well. Just don't buy new glasses until things have settled!

Reactions: Lobsang Tsultim

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The line I've highlighted surprises me.
I'm type 2, there apparently was never a question of me being type 1. Or was there? Surely there is a way to know.

Not being awkward here, I genuinely don't know the answer.
Does anyone?
It's important for you because, as far as I know, there is a big difference in the way T1 and T2 are managed.

Well, if the doctor said that there’s no way to know whether it’s 1 or 2 *at this point*, that would make sense. The antibody tests might not be 100% reliable early on. But the truth will be revealed. Pills don’t work with Type 1, for one thing. And the doctors will be more concerned about blood sugar levels than the diagnosis in any case. Insulin would only be prescribed if necessary. Adult-onset Type 1 is possible but it’s best to follow it closely and treat as needed. Type 1 can be depended on to reveal itself and if you have to ask the question, there’s a good chance it’s 2.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

My best friends sister is Pescatarian.

During lock down she Zoomed us after getting a Type 2 diagnosis. It took a few sessions of suggested eating to reverse her condition by focusing on fish with low carb vegetables and the removal of booze. It helped that she loves salmon.

Reactions: Outlier