EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, so I'm a new G6 user, and am two weeks in and on my second sensor.

So far the readings have been close to my caresens dual meter, so I haven't felt the need to calibrate (honestly I'm not overly fond of that meter and don't feel that it is particularly accurate, so don't necessarily believe it's results over the dexcom). Mostly the results have been well within 10% and when they haven't it's been because my levels are changing. But I can't work out what the lag time is for the G6 (interestitial as compared to fingerprick level) and wondered if there was a general consensus. I've read anything from 9 to 20 minutes, and yes that can make a difference, particularly if I'm going hypo.

And I can't work out whether I should bite the bullet and calibrate by entering my meter readings. Do I only do this if the glucose reading is flat?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

And yes, so far I'm loving the G6, just hoping that I don't become allergic to it.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. When I start a new sensor, they usually start off a lot higher than my meter says I should be at. I usually calibrate mine right away. Some people choose to wait it out. The G6 is usually a little wonky for 6-12 hours after it starts. A new sensor I usually fine tune with another calibration to get it closer the next day, I like it within ,3 mmol (5mg) in accuracy. Some people "soak" them before they activate them. You apply the sensor part only 12-24 hours before you actually start it to help with beginning accuracy. I have to use Skin Tac to make sure it stays on me and I reapply some as needed because I like to restart mine.

I use a Contour Next meter as they are recognized for being the most accurate, however I still have my One Touch meters and they are usually within 5 points or closer of the Contour Next reading.

The lag time is generally recognized as being between 10-15 minutes. but you are supposed to calibrate the Dexcom without waiting the 10-15 minutes.

What I do is if my reading is within my 5 points I don't worry about it. But if mine is "off" I will set a timer for 10 and then another 5 minutes to see if the reading becomes accurate. If that is not within .3 mmo (5mg) I will calibrate it.

I always try to test mine when I am at the same levels I mostly care about which is 5.2 to 5.6. Make sure you have a sideways arrow hopefully for 3 readings before you calibrate it and it will be the most accurate then. I expect mine to be off by more at higher numbers and don't pay attention to that as long as it's accurate at the numbers I am counting on to dose the most at.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I always try to test mine when I am at the same levels I mostly care about which is 5.2 to 5.6. Make sure you have a sideways arrow hopefully for 3 readings before you calibrate it and it will be the most accurate then. I expect mine to be off by more at higher numbers and don't pay attention to that as long as it's accurate at the numbers I am counting on to dose the most at.

Thanks, that is really helpful