Dexcom g6

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@tp94 My number on my Clarity ap was actually higher than what my A1c was. Mine had read 6.2% and switched 6.1% a few weeks before my test. My test came in at 6%. So I was happy! But I think it’s probably what you calibrate it at? I have mine calibrated to be the closest to accurate at the 100 to 120 range because that is where I am using it to dose the most and want to be in that range, and making dosing decisions/adjustments in that range the most.

So the higher numbers I believe are off, but I want it lower anyways so I don’t care. Same as the lower numbers are off and I have to eat/drink something so it doesn’t matter either. I have it set to give me plenty of warning if going “too high” or “too low”.

Last edited:

Jennywan

Hi sorry if I'm in the wrong place but this seems to be the only current forum on the g6.
I'm new to the g6 and had 3 work amazing. However my next 3 have all failures ( 2 during warm up ) is this common? Am I doing something wrong?
I've followed instructions every time ( cleaned area, put on stomache, cleaned the transmitter) I do have to use cavilon but I did with the other 3.
I love the g6 but don't want to invest a lot of money if this is the norm?

Thanks

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Jennywan

What do you mean by failures? And Dexcom will replace a sensor if it fails, just call them and they will probably want the failed ones back. They also can help you troubleshoot a problem you are having.

I've only had a couple of failures in 6 months. One had wonky readings and after a couple of calibrations it froze up and the other fell off because I applied too much skin tac to keep it on and it was too wet and just fell off. I have to use the skin tac because they do not seem to want to stay on me and until I got the skin tac I was using a wrap around my arm to keep the first ones couple on.

Jennywan

[QUOTE="Marie 2, post: 2088046, member:

Thanks for response Marie. Yes dexcom have/are replacing sensors. ( I've been on hold for 3hrs in total this week)

The sensors were going through the warm up and about 30mins in just say,
Sensor failure remove sensor and replace with new one.

The tech team weren't that helpful with why. Just saying they must be faulty; but they were all from different batches. They haven't asked for them back.

Hopefully the new ones they are sending will work just annoying as I have now been without one for a week.

D

Deleted Account

I get annoyed not having them for the 2 hour restart!
Can you apply and start a sensor with another attached and working?
This is common with the Libre - my old one runs out at about the same time as the new one starts so I don't have a gap.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@typeonederfull (I'd just like to reiterate what Helen said a while back - great name!)

How are you doing with your G6? Dare I ask how the OH is finding it?

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@helensaramay I keep restarting my Dexcom sensors, They last usually past 25 days each. But they require a 2 hour warm up whether a new one or a restarted one. The Dexcom you can insert a new sensor to "soak" it to help make it more accurate for people that have a really low BMI. But to activate it you have to stop the sensor and start a new one. (you sidestep this issue when restarting one). But the Dexcom "kit" is much more expensive to double down on. So just not worth doing that for 2 hours every 10 days...........................insurance will not cover a second one lol!

I used to overlap the libre by about 6 hours of working time so I could tell how the new one was doing. That helped cut down on finger sticking in trying to figure out how accurate the new one was. I had 2 separate readers to do that with.

@Jennywan restarting your sensors that are working well would be a way to build a back up supply. I can give you the directions for doing so, it's easy. I just don't know if there is a difference in the UK ones, so not completely sure it will work, but since you do so when the sensor expires, it doesn't hurt to try if you want.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@typeonederfull (I'd just like to reiterate what Helen said a while back - great name!)

How are you doing with your G6? Dare I ask how the OH is finding it?
I love my g6 its already making a big difference to my life. The OH has moaned a few times alarm went off during the night for a hypo...which saved me from my possible usual seizure when I hypo he just can't see what a great piece of kit this is....

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@typeoneferfull That's absolutely wonderful news!!!!!

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Practical suggestion: use bluetooth earbuds for private beeps.

Better suggestion: ditch your mate. He's very low-quality. This is life and death stuff and if he doesn't take that seriously, ditch him. I've dumped more than my share of girlfriends over the years for not taking my type 1 seriously. Most people are too selfish or self-absorbed to think of someone else's life as being more important than their convenience.

Still, you should be in charge of your digital devices, not their slave. If a beep wakes you up then it needn't wake anyone else up (via headphones, and for the fact that you can self-administer glucose pills or smarties by yourself, on your night table).

Couple other bits of advice: I've struggled with hypo unawareness before and it's largely related to poor glucose control, excessive hypo frequency. Over time your CGM will make those issues obvious. The clear solution to that is improving your sugars. That said, even if your partner's "right" in the sense that you can indeed largely keep t1d in check via diet (low carbing = law of small numbers = less sugar variance = less insulin on board = lower hypo frequency = lower hypo severity), your partner is still trash for not supporting you. Your silence at multiple people's suggestions to ditch a man who's oblivious and uncaring of whether you die in your sleep also betrays some troubling aspects that you are probably already aware of. Such a vain man is, I would guess, also more likely to be abusive in some way (maybe not physically but telling you your CGM beeps bothers him is definitely abusive and you should run for the hills). My sister stayed with an abusive man over our entire family's objections and he beat her and other members of my family (not to mention strangers, ending up in jail, etc). Someone who doesn't take your diabetes seriously is total trash, get rid of him. These kinds of posts make me angry, there is a lot of implicit suffering or abuse in them. If you have Type 1 and had to choose between a CGM and a partner who just doesn't care, you might as well live on your own and get those life-saving beeps.

But, if that's too hard, buy a 15 dollar pair of bluetooth earbuds and use that to sync up. My wife uses earbuds to mask my snoring, they are fairly comfortable these days. If you really want to avoid hypos, that is an entire topic in and of itself, but this forum is typically wishy washy about its advice in that regard (no offense). I've found reading these types of stories about people living with type 1 struggling with hypos but still eating 150g of carbs a day to be tilting at windmills. The solution is right there. It's called the Diabetes Solution by Dr Bernstein. Buy that book. The second you ditch the guy who doesn't care if you live or die during your sleep. I've woken up several times in the hospital due to hypo unawareness and lives with constant terror of sudden death for years, and even with a partner watching over me (no CGM yet - soon), it was a frequent problem until I went low-carb. Sure I still get hypos once in a while, but you can actually get near-perfect blood sugars most of the time even without a CGM via avoiding carbs entirely. It's called the flat-liners club. Look it up. But getting a CGM is a great move, I'm getting one next week. Anyway, ditch the jerk.

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time" -Maya Angelou.