Dexcom g6

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am getting my cgm next week just wondering how people find these?
Had a Dexcom G6 since November and it's been a lifesaver for me due to hypo unawareness, it can be a little out for the first 24 hours but after that it's very accurate, it alarms me through my phone if I'm going high or low.

Reactions: typeonederfull
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have complete hypo unawareness, I'm a little apprehensive about getting my dexcom as my partner is saying that thing will be bleeping all the time, it's really hurt my feelings as if he had a medical condition I would be supportive and do my best to help .

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @typeonederfull

I’ve been using it since Sept and it’s been fantastic, you get used to the bleeps but they are part and parcel of keeping your health in check, your partner doesn’t sound sympathetic at all which is a shame as you need your partner to be on side and understand the importance of good control.

The best part of the G6 is the Clarity app which gives you guidance on your control and helps you make decisions about changes in ratios or basal adjustments, highly useful to support you.

Let us know how you get on ?

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have complete hypo unawareness, I'm a little apprehensive about getting my dexcom as my partner is saying that thing will be bleeping all the time, it's really hurt my feelings as if he had a medical condition I would be supportive and do my best to help .
Ditch him

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love my G6. You can adjust the settings for the alarms and at the beginning I had them all set. But it was too many noises. So I only kept the low, urgent low and high settings on. You can adjust the levels or turn off what you don't want, But that sort of defeats the purpose if you turn off all of the alarms, because it really does help with controlling your BG levels or alerting you to a low. So I would advise you not to turn off the low and urgent low, ever ,since you are hypo unaware it could save your life.

I don't know what to do with your partner, that's just a bad attitude. There are a few people that have been on this site with non supportive partners. If he loves you somehow he needs to understand how much this could keep you alive. But if he can't you need to ignore his attitude as it is so important for you especially.

D

Deleted Account

@typeonederfull (fantastic name, by the way).
In my mind, a CGM is for my partner and family as much as me. Hopefully, he would rather be woken by a bleep than not woken until you are unconscious or worse.
In general my partner is very supportive but when I hypo and he is around, he always asks why I took too much insulin as if carb counting and taking exercise, stress, illness, etc. into consideration was easy. I guess diabetes is very personal to each of us and whilst someone else with type 1 understands it better than someone without, only I understand my diabetes.
Perhaps asking for assistance working out why you have hypoed may help him understand more and be more supportive.

Reactions: typeonederfull

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Please don't be apprehensive about getting the Dexcom - it's really a wonderful piece of technology, and will help you a lot - it's certainly helped me. It's disappointing to hear the comments your partner has made - it doesn't sound as though he's very well informed about diabetes - does he actually understand what it means that you have complete hypo unawareness? If he did, I would hope he would see the cgm as the amazing and potentially life-saving tool that it is.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He is very unsupportive it's like he blames me for having diabetes, he dosent care or understand i have no hypo awareness and what the outcomes of this could be. I'm looking at the dexcom as a potential life saving piece of equipment and will help put an end to seizures I have when I hypo. Unfortunately he just can't see this

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Some kind of serious talk or counseling. Because type 1 does not go away and it's not your fault. On an optimistic note, maybe it has scared him so if he denies it, it can't happen????

But I know there are some people that have dealt with non supporting partners, I think maybe you would get some better input from them hopefully if they are still on this site. Maybe start a thread that says I need help with a non supportive partner.

But you will learn so much about control with a G6. I used to think I always woke up when I was low until I got my first CGM, it turns out I would sleep a lot through the 60's, which isn't horrible, but it was scary to realize it happened. With a CGM you will be able to get a better grip on dosing with your insulin too.

Reactions: Odin004

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have no hypo awareness and had the G6 last November and it's been a Godsend, having been unaware for around 10 years if it wasn't for my partner i would not be here, the G6 has made both our lives better as she can now sleep knowing it will alarm if I'm going low, ask him why he thinks it's your fault and tell him how you feel about that , maybe he's worried about you and is burying his head in the sand. Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got my dexcom g6 today yeahhe. Loving it already did a fingers stick test as was expecting the reading may be a bit off but they were identical so far I'm impressed with this excellent piece of kit ☺☺

Reactions: EllieM

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yea!!!!! It is wonderful isn't it!!~ I just wouldn't do without it. I even get annoyed now at the 2 hours restart/new sensor wait.
It does measure interstitial fluid, so that is anywhere from 5-15 minutes behind a blood test.

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Hi all,
Can someone explain how the geo works plz the process.
Do you have to buy it and how much is it or can u get it on prescription

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Got my dexcom g6 today yeahhe. Loving it already did a fingers stick test as was expecting the reading may be a bit off but they were identical so far I'm impressed with this excellent piece of kit ☺☺
You might find you prefer it to your partner ;)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am in the US, so if you are a type 1 and have insurance (most do), the doctor submits it to your insurance who pays for it or most of it. The UK you have to fit certain criteria/guidelines to get it. Some people self fund.

The Dexcom G6 has a sensor that you insert/place every 10 days that gives you a constant reading (every 5 minutes) of your BG's. If you go to the Dexcom site they have videos that give you descriptions.

tp94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Don't know if I'm posting on the right thread but can anybody who has a Dexcom G6 comment on the accuracy of the ea1c function in the clarity app?

I'm curious to see if it gives an accurate(ish) estimation of upcoming Hba1c tests :)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Can someone explain how the geo works plz the process.
Do you have to buy it and how much is it or can u get it on prescription

Most people self fund. The NHS may fund a Freestyle Libre if you "qualify".
Dexcom charge £159/month.