Dexcom NHS

Jess1D

Hi
So I have recently gone back onto a pump
I use the Freestlye Libre 2 - unfortunately I have issues with alarms just not working
More so lately this is becoming a hassle with my control & being back on the pump - trying to keep my sugars in range!
Also on few occasions now have found the Freestlye Libre reading inaccurate again a blood sugar reading in my meter (quite dangerously different)

I spoke with my doctors last week, enquiring about the Dexcom 1 (I have used Dexcom 6 before- great product-was in a different job & could afford it)
I got a phone call back from the doctors - telling me the Dexcom 1 was only available to pregnant women?!!
Really?
Does anyone know if this is true?

Many thanks

Jess

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jess1D Do you have a diabetes care team looking after you ? It's best to speak to them rather than your GP as he would be reviewing standard NHS guidelines, but your diabetes team will know whether or not you can access it, also depends on your trust as each one has a different policy on CGM accessibility, there may be certain criteria you have to meet, if you cannot access it now then at least register your interest for when it becomes more widely available, as new guidelines are making it easier for insulin dependent diabetics to access CGMs.

Reactions: EllieM

Jess1D

Thank you
Yes whenever I mention it to my team they tell me they don’t get funding
But when I was at doctors the other day- I made enquiries about the Dexcom 1
Got a phone call saying it was only being offered to pregnant women?!

I have pretty much lost faith in the Freestly Libre- no alarms & seems pretty inaccurate

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dexcom G6 is for pregnant type 1’s but all type 1’s are entitled to a Dexcom 1 now if they want it. It has only just come into play though so may be taking a while to trickle down. If your hospital refuse to put you on it contact Professor Partha Kar on Twitter. He’s the national lead for type 1 tech.

Jess1D

Dexcom G6 is for pregnant type 1’s but all type 1’s are entitled to a Dexcom 1 now if they want it. It has only just come into play though so may be taking a while to trickle down. If your hospital refuse to put you on it contact Professor Partha Kar on Twitter. He’s the national lead for type 1 tech.

Thank you
I will take a look
Yes I did mention that to the doctors- they were quite abrupt saying that only pregnant women were entitled to the Dexcom 1?

Very strange

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From reading this forum it appears that the Freestyle CGM has a bunch of significant problems, particularly with accuracy. If this is what’s happening, why wouldn’t NHS being going full speed ahead to switch patients to the Dexcom? Inaccurate readings lead to more control problems and that’s bad for everybody, including NHS. Is it just the bureaucracy or something else at work?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dexcom 1 is now available to all type 1s should they want it. Your health provider is being economical with the truth.

Jess1D

It is so frustrating as I want good control, but for me the alarms DO NOT work!!! Considering working out financially if I can afford Dexcom each month
Lost faith in Libre!!

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_6974.jpg

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can email them then you could send that tweet with this too.
IMG_6975.jpg

If they still refuse, refer to Prof Kar

Jess1D

Just rang my chemist, they tell me it is available but they have not had any prescriptions from the surgery - they haven’t changed anyone over.
Reckon it could be hard work

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You’re going to need to go through either your endocrinologist at the hospital, I have an email for mine. Or your GP because it needs to be prescribed by a doctor first. Take evidence from Partha or copy him into any emails if needed. Don’t give up!

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone decode the Published Accuracy Data from the above chart? For instance, T1=n260.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can anyone decode the Published Accuracy Data from the above chart? For instance, T1=n260.

Interesting.

Yes they've published data and sample size was 260???
Not very imformative I agree.
Or the yes might imply that it was accurate enough to pass some metric such as +- 15%?

And I see the dexcom G7 has accuracy data too. Is it out now?

If the G1 is as accurate as the G6 I'd definitely use it, if and when it becomes available in New Zealand, as the extra G6 features only seem relevant to pumpers.