Dexcom One - What's it like in use?

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
Hi, I currently self fund the dexcom g6 for 160 per month. I see Dexcom now have the One available for 300 for 3 months, 100 per month.
The One has less functionality;
not pump compatible
less alerts
no sharing of data with family etc.

Other than that the One and G6 seem pretty similar.

None of the above are important to me so I am considering moving to the One.
Has anyone else had experience using One or any thoughts?
Thanks
Brian

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Looks really interesting, I'd definitely try it if it was available in NZ (which it probably won't be for a while). Am guessing it's a slimmed down offering because they want to compete pricewise with the libre ???

Would be very interested to read a review if you decide to go for it.

Does anyone know if the G7is happening, or is this effectively the G7?

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
Yes the One is a slimmed down offering. Perhaps to compete with the Libre?

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medte...red-down-continuous-glucose-monitoring-system

The one is different from the G7 which I think is still awaiting final approval in the UK. I haven't seen a price for the G7 but I suspect similar to the G6. The g7 has a few improvements advertised... for example its smaller and has a 30 minute warmup.
Brian

Reactions: Richard F

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The G7 sensor is also supposed to be one piece, the transmitter and the sensor combined. Everyone thinks it won't be able to be restarted like we do with the G6's. I usually love my restarted sensors, although the last few haven't been lasting as long as they used to, but I have a big stockpile going now.

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
I have been able to restart my G6 sensors fine but haven't had much success getting use out of them for more than a day or so. Often my G6 sensor readings get less reliable from say days 8 -10 so extending them doesn't seem worthwhile unfortunately.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The first question I would ask that I just realized you didn't say anything about is can the DexcomOne be calibrated? If not then it becomes the same as the Libre. I would think if the DexcomOne got approval it has to be decent. But calibration to me would be extremely important.

I hadn't heard of the DexcomOne at all in the US. I have to wonder if it will be introduced here. Our insurance (92% people have) pays for most of us type 1's here in various amounts of costs or free, and Dexcom is charging the insurance companies an inflated huge amount for them. If you don't have insurance you usually get them at $300 for a months supply, plus you have to buy a transmitter, that's more than they charge people overseas for them. But the Libre is gaining in popularity pretty quickly because they are promoting it for the huge market of type 2' here. Insurance is starting to cover Libre's sometimes for type 2's. But even without insurance it's only $37 a Libre sensor so a lot of people self fund it for the convenience of a sensor. I'm sure Dexcom would love to get a piece of the action since there are so many type 2's, but they would need to have a cheaper version for type 2's or for their insurance to decide it's worth it to cover it so...that becomes interesting.

On restarts...........I had been extending my sensors to an average of around 26 days and I calibrate them to within .3mmol (or 5mg) of accuracy. I get them free but I like the accuracy of a restarted sensor better. It takes less work at calibrating it to get it accurate. Although soaking a new sensor helps some. A restart I can get pretty accurate within 24 hours, but a new one takes more like 48 hours and then maybe another calibration 5 days in. I have gotten up to 45 days on a sensor. So I have a huge supply and I think that might be why some are not lasting as long as they used to, now more like 15-16 days. I use the old stock up first and I am now using expired or close to expire ones? I am thinking of trying some of my newer ones to see if I go back to the 26 day average I had. But I really like restarts better. Plus it's just easier lol!

It's wild how some people have trouble with it even lasting the 8-10 days and others like me can wear one for a long time with no issues. I check mine but they only get inaccurate suddenly in a day, so it's easy to tell when they need to be switched.

Last edited:

Andy V

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting that NHS England has just announced a deal with Dexcom for supply of the One on prescription....and no mention of Abbott who initially stomped into the NHS market and took the lead.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Andy V

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/202...chnology-for-people-with-type-1-diabetes.html

I believe the libre was already available on prescription? (Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong).
Yes, true, it is, and there are rumours of poor quality issues with Abbott sensors. I've experienced them, a friend also has and Diabetic Nurses have confirmed we're not alone. Their concerns being that patients are looking trust in being able to rely on Libre sensors. I've had 3 fail in a row, no explanation. Abbott deny any issues when I follow protocol and phone to report in order to get a replacement. It's slightly suspicious.

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
For some diabetics only. I have to self fund as I am type 2 but have difficulties related to relying on finger pricking, including connected with my executive functioning related to my autism & probable ADHD.

I take the long view on diabetes technology, having been diagnosed before the advent of glucometers and currently living in a country that doesn't yet fund cgms or flash readers for anyone. I suspect/hope that you will get your funding eventually. T2s seem to now be in the place for funding that T1s were a couple of years ago, so progress is being made (at least some T2s qualify). ( Do I think it's unfair? Yes, I do. )

Last edited:

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I self fund the G6 as a type one and it's saved the NHS a decent amount as I use less finger tests.

I'll move over to the One when my subscription runs out later in the year as the functions it hasn't got are functions I don't use. The only concern I have is that the compatability list for phones doesn't seem to cover my S20 FE although Play store says the app will download to my phone.

It'll be interesting to see if they set up a subscription for it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@jackois You have to be careful if you want things to work right and it’s not listed as compatible. Dexcom is not good about keeping current on new phones or updates on phones.

My current iPhone 13 is not listed as compatible and the alerts only alert 75% of the time. Which is fine with me, but Dexcom came out with an update that I downloaded wondering if it would help some of the issues I had and I just ended up with more issues. A banner comes up on a lot of aps or windows I am in and won't go away until I touch the banner and then I get taken to the Dexcom ap. Very annoying. But people are having a wide range of problems, One talked about a watch that won't update her BG level now until she touches her screen on her phone.. Dexcom is way behind on keeping up so it probably depends which phone, or which IOS etc to what problems you have.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jackois You have to be careful if you want things to work right and it’s not listed as compatible. Dexcom is not good about keeping current on new phones or updates on phones.

My current iPhone 13 is not listed as compatible and the alerts only alert 75% of the time. Which is fine with me, but Dexcom came out with an update that I downloaded wondering if it would help some of the issues I had and I just ended up with more issues. A banner comes up on a lot of aps or windows I am in and won't go away until I touch the banner and then I get taken to the Dexcom ap. Very annoying. But people are having a wide range of problems, One talked about a watch that won't update her BG level now until she touches her screen on her phone.. Dexcom is way behind on keeping up so it probably depends which phone, or which IOS etc to what problems you have.

Thanks Marie,

I've understood the compatabilities aspect of Dexcom in general, which is why I was asking the question. My Galaxy 20FE works well with the G6 app and I don't get any of the issues you are getting with your iPhone. I did use a smart watch with my previous phone but the dexcom aspect of that disappeared when I upgraded the phone.

Luckily, (?) my current G6 subscription doesn't run out until November so there should be alot more information as to how the One is behaving. The £50 a month reduction in cost would be very welcome, however.

Reactions: Marie 2

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
CGMs including the Dexcom One are now freely available to all Type 1s.

Just curious, does that mean GPs are now allowed to prescribe without authorisation from a diabetic clinic?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious, does that mean GPs are now allowed to prescribe without authorisation from a diabetic clinic?
Hmmm.. not sure, but there is no reason for the diabetic clinic to refuse one.
Have a look around for quotes from Professor Partha Kar who has worked so hard to make this happen.

Ruggle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I currently self fund the dexcom g6 for 160 per month. I see Dexcom now have the One available for 300 for 3 months, 100 per month.
The One has less functionality;
not pump compatible
less alerts
no sharing of data with family etc.

Other than that the One and G6 seem pretty similar.

None of the above are important to me so I am considering moving to the One.
Thanks
Brian
I have been using the Dexcom One since it became available in the. has for Type 1 Diabetics. My experience of it is that it’s awful. So far I’ve only had one sensor last the full 10 days. They stop working completely or the sensor cannot connect to your phone so you don’t get any readings. You cannot add any information to results, eg if they’re high because you’re unwell, or what dose of insulin you’ve had. So an overview of your readings isn’t helpful at all. There is no accurate time to correlate with a particular result as it’s all on a graph so it’s a rough idea of what time a higher result was and again a rough idea of what a previous reading actually was. This is a system that scrapes the barrel of Dexcom products, produced cheaply for the NHS.
Abbot have now brought out Libre 3 which I understand is continuous. It lasts 10 days and no fiddling around with sensors and transmitters, hopefully it’s just like the Libre2, but continuous as opposed to flash monitoring. Whether the NHS will fund this for Type 1 diabetics remains to be seen.

• Informative

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using the Dexcom One since it became available in the. has for Type 1 Diabetics. My experience of it is that it’s awful. So far I’ve only had one sensor last the full 10 days. They stop working completely or the sensor cannot connect to your phone so you don’t get any readings. You cannot add any information to results, eg if they’re high because you’re unwell, or what dose of insulin you’ve had. So an overview of your readings isn’t helpful at all. There is no accurate time to correlate with a particular result as it’s all on a graph so it’s a rough idea of what time a higher result was and again a rough idea of what a previous reading actually was. This is a system that scrapes the barrel of Dexcom products, produced cheaply for the NHS.
Abbot have now brought out Libre 3 which I understand is continuous. It lasts 10 days and no fiddling around with sensors and transmitters, hopefully it’s just like the Libre2, but continuous as opposed to flash monitoring. Whether the NHS will fund this for Type 1 diabetics remains to be seen.
The Freestyle Libre 3 is supposed to last 14 days, just like the Libre 1 and Libre 2.

At the moment, with it having been lumped in with insulin pumps, hybrid closed loops, automated insulin delivery systems, etc, it is looking like an exceedingly small number of T1s are going to be able to get access to the Freestyle Libre 3 in England.

Unless something changes.

• Informative