Dexcom problems

Phoenix1227

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my daughter has been living with diabetes for the last 17 years. She was just 1yr 10 months old. She is now 18 and has other medical issues and that is why I am writing and not her. Since May 2022, she has been given the Dexcom G6. We thought that this system was going to be good for us parents especially during the night. Unfortunately it was not so, the sensor sends alarms especially during the nights and when I check her glucose from her finger, the readings are very different. Like last night, alarms started from 1130pm, it went to Low and the readings from her finger was 9.8. This happens very often and we have to stop the sensor and remove it in the morning. I do get replacements but I was just wondering if this is common. The agent here in Malta is very helpful but I don’t really get any reply as to why this happens. She also has an allergic skin reaction to all the applicator that touches her arm.

Reactions: LilithJezebel

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
I suggest fitted the sensors and letting it 'settle' for 24 hours before using it. This gives the insertion site enough time to heal so that it doesn't affect readings.
Make sure she's well hydrated.
Sleeping on your sensor can give you 'compression hypo's'.
Paracetamol/Tylenol will cause the sensor to read high.

If you've the option to input manual tests into the app, do so!

Usually a bit of time and mine tend to become accurate :)

LilithJezebel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, my daughter has been living with diabetes for the last 17 years. She was just 1yr 10 months old. She is now 18 and has other medical issues and that is why I am writing and not her. Since May 2022, she has been given the Dexcom G6. We thought that this system was going to be good for us parents especially during the night. Unfortunately it was not so, the sensor sends alarms especially during the nights and when I check her glucose from her finger, the readings are very different. Like last night, alarms started from 1130pm, it went to Low and the readings from her finger was 9.8. This happens very often and we have to stop the sensor and remove it in the morning. I do get replacements but I was just wondering if this is common. The agent here in Malta is very helpful but I don’t really get any reply as to why this happens. She also has an allergic skin reaction to all the applicator that touches her arm.
Following, as I am considering switching from the Libre 2 to Dexcom.

Also I am wondering, is she washing her hands prior to doing the finger stick? I used to be bad about not doing this, and only using an alcohol wipe, before discovering it could potentially skew my readings. Having said that though, there are times when my CGM reads 30-60 points below what a finger stick tells me - so far I have only discovered this at the end of my current sensor's 2-week period. I wonder is this an issue with all CGM systems? I thought the Dexcom advertised "no finger-sticks ever" though. Hmmm.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The fact these low alarms are occurring after sleep suggests compression lows. What is the accuracy like during the day?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Phoenix1227

I moved to the dexcom G6 a couple of years ago, after an allergic reaction to the libre made it both really uncomfortable and completely inaccurate.

I had a mild allergic reaction to the sensor a couple of times but after contacting dexcom they sent me some links on how to reduce allergic reactions and I started to apply cavillon cream before inserting the sensor, which has worked for me. There are numerous discussions about the issue on dedicated dexcom boards. Here's a link from dexcom

As for false lows, I sometimes have an issue in the first 24 hours, but mostly my dexcom is accurate. I do check against a meter occasionally and recalibrate if it is consistently out, though I don't need to often. Dexcom phone customer support are extremely helpful when I have issues.

Phoenix1227

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Also I am wondering, is she washing her hands prior to doing the finger stick? I used to be bad about not doing this, and only using an alcohol wipe, before discovering it could potentially skew my readings. Having said that though, there are times when my CGM reads 30-60 points below what a finger stick tells me - so far I have only discovered this at the end of my current sensor's 2-week period. I wonder is this an issue with all CGM systems? I thought the Dexcom advertised "no finger-sticks ever" though. Hmmm.
Hi, yes she washes her hands with water. So far I have never used the sensor for the whole 10 days as by the 7th day, the readings are just not accurate (day or night) and I have to calibrate it often - so I remove it. Have to say that I have been using the finger test more often now than before

Reactions: LilithJezebel

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
Hi, yes she washes her hands with water. So far I have never used the sensor for the whole 10 days as by the 7th day, the readings are just not accurate (day or night) and I have to calibrate it often - so I remove it. Have to say that I have been using the finger test more often now than before
There is the option at least in the mobile app to calibrate. Calibration just entails you putting in a finger prick reading after clicking on Calibrate. Can be done once every 24hrs

Caygal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strange. I am sure I noticed some response in to the quoted message in the post.
perhaps I imagined it.