Diabetes 1 + Depression + Alcohol/Antidepressants. Experience anyone? H

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I have had depression since I got Diabetes 1, 15 years ago. During a point in my life, I was on Cymbalta for my Depression which helped me. But the withdrawal effects were difficult.

I have also self-medicated with alcohol which has helped. But I realized it is not the way to go.

The issue is that when I have a few glasses of beer my depression is gone. And when I was on Cymbalta antidepressants during 6 months I had never felt better. But since I quit Cymbalta for over 4 years ago. I have felt depressed. However natural medicine like meditation, diet and exercise has helped to cope with my Diabetes 1. But none as good as alcohol and antidepressants. However, I do not want to start taking antidepressants again due to side effects. And I do not want to drink alcohol.

Anyone else has any similar experiences or stories with handling depression/anxiety caused by Diabetes 1 with alcohol or antidepressants

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Exercise has always cheered me up. I've just finished a weights session and I'm buzzing. It must be the endorphins. I'm planning on joining a tennis club and a running club. It's been a while since I could do any seriously hard exercise, not since my diagnosis. But now I'm on insulin, (rather than ignoring medical advice), the possibilities are endless.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I agree with ert - exercise has always given me a great feeling that lasts.

Also, meditation works and the more I do it, the more it works.

Could your diabetes consultant or GP recommend some sort of therapy that would help, but would not include anti depressants (and I totally get why you don't want them).