Diabetes & alcohol

goslow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Diabetes & alcohol

Hi folks, thought I would revive this subject as alcohol is important when mixing socially.

Do you remember about Christmas time when there was a big moan in the media about supermarkets selling canned beer cheaper than coke? Well I just had to buy some the other day because I read the label on the tin.

Tesco 2.1% 440ml tin of bitter contains 3.1g of carbs !! - thats 0.7g per 100ml and only a trace of sugars.

Agreed it is not the best bitter in the world, tastes a bit 'thin' really but you do get used to it. Trouble is you have to decide - 1 slice of toast or 3 cans of beer? Just enjoy.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.

I was diagnosed Type 2in April and I've managed to keep my bs within limits. I usually have a whisky before dinner, while I'm cooking, and a glass of red wine with dinner. Honestly, I don't have more than one glass. Anyway, here's my question: as I live 10 minutes from the French border I have built up over the years a fairly good wine cellar, mostly reds. The whites I now drink sparingly but I have some bottles of fairly dry rose wines. How do they stand on the yes/no scale. Should I drink them sparingly as I do the whites or can I drink them like reds? I'd appreciate any advice on this subject. Thanks in advance.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi BillB,

Frankly there aren't many wines which will give you a problem. The sweet whites (Suaternes, Muscat etc.) are a no-no, obviously. I've yet to find a red which gives me a blood sugar problem and believe me, I've looked! Sauvignon Blanc and whites from the Loire, Alsace etc. are normally bone dry and are more likely to lower your blood sugar than raise it.
Personally, I don't drink rose wines, but provided they use the dry grape varieties and production methods they shouldn't be any more of an issue I'd have thought?

Continue the research!

All the best,

fergus

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.

Many thanks, Fergus, for your advice. I don't normally buy rosé wines but a friend who lives in the Bordeaux region came to visit and brought us a case of his local red and a case of his local rosé. I shall continue drinking it in moderation with an easy conscience.
Cheers.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type2,2weeks.meds. I'm a heavy drinker and I'll try to moderate it but I can't stop, vodka n diet coke or red wine?